News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

politics

Started by el dub, October 30, 2015, 07:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el dub

I seem to be getting a lot of flak if I post jokes that have a politician in them., Especially when they are of democrats. For some reason, grown men get all butthurt over it. Maybe you could bend your rules for some political humor. If you are going to say that people will get all crazy and act funny over it I don't believe that. Otherwise it would happen anyway over anything. Just a suggestion.  I cant understand how grown men get butthurt over political jokes. Or maybe it is just the mod that's getting carried away. Humor is good not matter what kind. Side bet: I bet the ones who complain don't even have a charger. Car guys aren't whiners.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

JB400

Are we allowed to talk about the Great Pumpkin as well? :popcrn:

1970Moparmann

All I will say is yup...   :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

XH29N0G

El Dub,  You raise a point, but I am for keeping politics off this site.   :Twocents: 

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

el dub

I'm really not talking politics, just political caricatures, or jokes about politicians. In other words, humor. Someone complained to the mod   about some I posted and they were removed. That is pretty much over the top in my book. So take it a step further, being a democrat, if you want to remove one, remove them all. But don't worry about that, I will remove them for you. Gotta be a good democrat.

Charger-Bodie

Why can't we just leave political stuff out..... There must be sites for that... I like Chargers.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

el dub

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on October 31, 2015, 12:09:56 PM
Why can't we just leave political stuff out..... There must be sites for that... I like Chargers.

you don't like jokes?

XH29N0G

I think the issue is that one person's joke can be another person's hot button. 

Some areas are more touchy than others in this way, and some political humor can be that way.

Or maybe it protects us. 

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: el dub on October 31, 2015, 12:21:37 PM
Quote from: Charger-Bodie on October 31, 2015, 12:09:56 PM

you don't like jokes?

I do like jokes. What I don't like is a bunch of notifications about political crap . Everyone can read the banner that says political stuff will be removed.......
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

el dub

Look at the OP. that's what Im trying to do. Get the rules bent a little for jokes. But I am going to forget it. Not worth my time.  You can go back to: word association game
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       new home, new 5 word game
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       new 3 word game
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       answer the question with a question

el dub

Quote from: XH29N0G on October 31, 2015, 12:38:45 PM
I think the issue is that one person's joke can be another person's hot button.  

Some areas are more touchy than others in this way, and some political humor can be that way.

Well if one persons hot button is able to ruin it for the rest, so be it.  That one person can start posting up something entertaining from now on. As I'm quitting.

XH29N0G

El Dub,

That is a loss.  Your posts have been funny and enjoyable. 

Or maybe it protects us. 

skip68

There's times I wish we could discuss politics but it'd just go south fast. 
We just need to remember who's site this is and what the rules are. 
I would say if a politician fell off the stage or did something funny then that would be acceptable to laugh at.   Then you're just laughing at the man and not political sides.     
Even though we're members we're still kinda guest here as it's not our site.   Don't take it personal dub.  The moderators have been doing this for years and they know how things escalate.    :cheers:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Mopar Nut

Quote from: XH29N0G on October 31, 2015, 07:46:49 PM
El Dub,

That is a loss.  Your posts have been funny and enjoyable. 
X2
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

polywideblock

while I can not imagine what it's like to moderate this site and take my hat off to those that do   :cheers:

I have to agree , humour crosses ALL divides and should be the one thing that is not censored .

the tinny minority that are offended by a cartoon /joke or an f bomb or two should use that thing called personal discretion and look elsewhere if they are going to be offended    :Twocents: 

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Charger-Bodie

The problem is there's no hard and fast line to enforce for personal disgression . And , when people light up the report to moderator link, something to follow is needed. I personally don't want people to leave over this , but we have rules in place for this....

1970Moparmann

For many of us, we don't see the harm in a little political humor.   Unfortunately, when you have a political section, tempers, frustration, compassion, and opinions come out. 

In the past I would post some of the same type of pictures in the Funny section and got blasted a few times - what ever.  If someone can't be an adult and look at the funny aspect of something, go pound sand.  Unfortunately, when you have a negative experience on a forum, you tend to not participate in discussions and start spending your time someone else.   As the 'ol saying goes "there's a place for everything", and a politics section on this forum would do too much harm.   

There used to be a politics section on another awesome forum called The AutoBody Store .com.   They had a politics section and there was a good mix of each party on it.   Over the years the negative side took over the positive, and the moderator had to remove the politics section.   Since then, the site has been a huge resource again for people wanting to do body work.

Here is one of the biggest politics forums - http://www.politicalforum.com/
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

skip68

That's the problem.  people leaving.   The bad blood between members would spill over into other topics.    It's just a topic that would create wedges and spite between members that doesn't exist.   Not worth it.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

el dub

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on November 01, 2015, 04:08:55 AM
The problem is there's no hard and fast line to enforce for personal disgression . And , when people light up the report to moderator link, something to follow is needed. I personally don't want people to leave over this , but we have rules in place for this....

Maybe tell the little democrats that dislike the posts about any democrat to shut their pie hole and grow the fuck up. You don't need more morons on your site. Or maybe it is the owner and the mods that are good little democrats., Either way that is the reason for deleting all my posts. If one person complains and you make the rest pay for that then I will delete all my posts  and make the rest suffer for one moron. THAT is how dems do it. You don't like jokes then fuck it all up for everyone. Go ahead and delete this as I'm sure that the same little worm will complain. And I'll bet the worm doesn't even have a charger. Fuck the little worm.

BTW It doesn't bother me at all that you don't have a political section. In these times you couldn't find 7 out of 10 people who could carry on a conversation about politics, but, jokes are different

skip68

Brass

I don't understand the commotion.   One long-standing, sensible, and clearly communicated expectation on this site is to keep politics out of the discussion.  In what way is that unreasonable or too difficult?  (Political humor is still political and sometimes incendiary nonetheless.)  Most people are capable of respecting that simple request by the owners.  The few that aren't try to knowingly slip it in anyway, with predictable results, and then act surprised when they get warned.  The only butt hurt I see is recrimination.  The Mods truly have an unenviable task.

Personally, I liked a lot of El Dub's photos.  But by deleting them, he seems to have taken his ball and gone home in a fit of pique.  It's a shame but no one made him do it.

A383Wing

so, did someone get butt-hurt??

polywideblock

jeez guys you all need to stand back and take a breath   :yesnod:  

maybe take a page out of the "apathetic Australian"  

the average Aussie's take on politicians and politics is this  "there ALL crookeder than a dogs hind leg"  :yesnod:

and it doesn't matter which party gets in its still the same for you and me ( the little guy) we're going to get screwed  :nana:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Lord Warlock

I don't see anything wrong with political jokes, and wish the community was strong enough to handle a free for all political discussion section, but things do escalate and people's feelings get hurt and nowadays people complain about everything.  We used to allow free and open political talk on our stealth/3000gt board and while it was available it got tons of activity and made the site a very active spot on the web, but that popularity drove prices up for advertisers and made things more complicated to the owners.  We still allow political discussion it just isn't nearly as free for all as it used to be.  They made one thread open at all times for political posts, but didn't allow new threads to be made. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

JB400

I don't know, we seem to be doing pretty well right now without allowing it.  Enough veterans stick around to help the newbies out.  The regulars pretty much are car guys in general that can discuss just about anything car related or have a bunch of friends on here that they've met in person that use this site to keep in touch.

As far as dub's actions of deleting his pix, from what I understand, he done himself a favor.  Personally, I liked some of them, but others, not so much.