News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 carb recommendations

Started by C.duck, November 02, 2015, 10:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.duck

Just looking for some feedback - I have a freshly built 440 and I am trying to decide on a carb. I currently have a brand new 650 eddy thunderseries on a shelf in the garage, can still return it if I decide to go a different route.

Engine specs:

1967 HP 440
915 heads
crower mild cam (32918)
torker manifold
650 edelbrock thunder series carb
10.5:1 compression

(No clue on HP/Torque #s)

727 tranny with a 2500 stall

Currently have stock 2.73 open differential gears, will swap to 3.55 sure grip sooner than later.

This car will be driven a lot.

303 Mopar

I just switched from a 600 cfm Eddy to a Proform 750 cfm on my 440 and love it!
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

BSB67

The 650 will be okay on that manifold.  It is a little small but the open plenum balances that a bit.  Overall, probably not bad for your intended purpose.

If I you starting with nothing, I would consider a dual plane manifold and a carb in the 750 cfm range.

What fuel will you using?  If you have 10.5:1 compression ratio with that cam, you will not be able to run on typical pump gasoline.  

The 915 head at zero deck with a 12 or 13 cc dish piston (readily available), will give you about the best possible combination of parts for a hp street car.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Stegs

i too switched from a 600 eddy to a holley 750

I havent drove my car yet, but from what everyone suggest it will be a nice improvement

303 Mopar

One other slightly off topic consideration is hood clearance.  Depending on what car and air cleaner you have, you want to make sure you don't pop a dent in your hood.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

C.duck

Thanks for all the advice. Very helpful, for the time being I think I will stick with the 650. I've heard a lot of good things about the proform 750, so if I am disappointed that will likely be my next step. And I will definitely double check the hood clearance! Thanks for the heads up.

c00nhunterjoe

The torker cleared my hood with a 1" spacer also and no drop base.