News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

After market steering anyone using borgenson box

Started by 1st_charger, November 05, 2015, 10:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1st_charger

Anyone running the borgenson steering box how do you like it did you have to change hoses power steering pump was it worth it??? How did it change the cars feel? Thanks!!!!

myk

Pretty sure you have to buy their high-pressure hose kit, adapter fittings, and don't forget the column coupler/adapter.  All in all, if you're looking to improve or modernize your steering this sounds like a great alternative.  I like the built-in quick ratio steering; that's probably going to the deciding factor in my ongoing Firm Feel/Borgeson debate...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Kern Dog

Borgeson is a 14 to 1 ratio. Firm Feel mopar box with the fast ratio arms is about 12 to 1.  My Firm Feel Stage 3 box feels really good. The Borgeson with the fast ratio arms would surely make the ratio too twitchy at approx 10.3 to 1.

myk

10.3 to 1 lol!  Borgeson for the win.  Unless you're Kern Dog, you can't run headers with a stock style box and fast ratio idle/pitman arms...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Kern Dog

Oh, come on! I'm not special. I think the guys at TTI are playing it safe telling people that the FR arms don't fit. It isn't any benefit to me if anyone believes me on this. I get no commission on their sales. I have had no steering fitment issues with either of the 2 K members I've had in the car.

myk

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 07, 2015, 01:14:39 AM
Oh, come on! I'm not special. I think the guys at TTI are playing it safe telling people that the FR arms don't fit. It isn't any benefit to me if anyone believes me on this. I get no commission on their sales. I have had no steering fitment issues with either of the 2 K members I've had in the car.

No I DO believe you.  I just think you're one of the lucky ones that can get away with that setup.  There are others that have tried and couldn't do it; I never took the chance to find out.  I love the headers anyway...

SRT-440

I have a borguson box..love it..feels more like a modern car now..makes my power steering in my Dart feel like a scary joke.
I do have the fast ratio arms..which I might change out cuz when my steering is turned all the way to the right the center link touches my oil pan. It's worth noting that my 6.1 oil pan is somewhat different than a big block or small block pan so it might not be a prob for others.

Is it worth $700? I think so, but I was looking for a new car feel.

If you have power steering and you want it to be firmer without paying big bucks, buy a PS pressure valve and it goes inline on your pressure hose..you can turn down the ps psi and it firms it up.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

fy469rtse

Myk,
when I can afford it , borgason for me too ,
will eliminate that last area of slop in steering, not that I can feel anything now, but I want the extra clearance for bigger headers ,
friends of mine were right , my 1 7/8 are shutting her down at top end ,
when I look up there site, I cant find the mopar proper adapter,
I'm sure I saw it in one of the mag's mopar action or muscle,
it eliminates it being such a hack job to shaft,
I don't like the idea of cutting inner shaft,
you do this and you cant ever change it back

myk

Quote from: fy469rtse on November 11, 2015, 04:59:45 PM
Myk,
when I can afford it , borgason for me too ,
will eliminate that last area of slop in steering, not that I can feel anything now, but I want the extra clearance for bigger headers ,
friends of mine were right , my 1 7/8 are shutting her down at top end ,
when I look up there site, I cant find the mopar proper adapter,
I'm sure I saw it in one of the mag's mopar action or muscle,
it eliminates it being such a hack job to shaft,
I don't like the idea of cutting inner shaft,
you do this and you cant ever change it back

The coupler that keeps you from having to cut the column is on the Bergman Autocraft website, not the Borgeson.  The coupler is an aftermarket piece made my Bergman.  All in all, the Borgeson and Bergman parts will run you a little more than $700, but still worth it IMO...

1st_charger

myk

Kern Dog

I'd have to drive a car with the Borgeson unit before laying out the cash. I have heard about 80% to 20% of the buyers that are happy with them. I have a well sorted out setup currently so I am less motivated to make the switch than I would be if I had all worn out stuff.

myk

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 12, 2015, 09:09:03 PM
I'd have to drive a car with the Borgeson unit before laying out the cash. I have heard about 80% to 20% of the buyers that are happy with them. I have a well sorted out setup currently so I am less motivated to make the switch than I would be if I had all worn out stuff.

What issues did these people have?

Kern Dog

Besides the few people with fitment problems, some have reported that the Borgeson didn't seem much better than a well built Firm Feel chuck. The cost is about double or more, so I understand the higher expectations.

myk

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 13, 2015, 03:33:17 AM
Besides the few people with fitment problems, some have reported that the Borgeson didn't seem much better than a well built Firm Feel chuck. The cost is about double or more, so I understand the higher expectations.

I feel the same way.  For the extra cost and hassle I would expect the Charger to drive and feel like a completely different car.  I guess the weight savings would then be the only advantage but I don't know if that alone is worth the extra money.  Fitment problems?  Ugh...here we go again... :icon_smile_blackeye:

myk

Yes, but buy the special coupler from Bergman Autocraft so you don't have to cut your column.  Don't forget you'll have to buy their high pressure hose adapters also...

Mike DC

An aluminum version of the stock Mopar PS case + a 14:1 pitman & idler arm set for it.   IMO this would have accomplished mostly the same thing as the Borgeson box coversion for less trouble.  That would please everyone in the B/E/C crowd, although the A-body crowd might still like the Borgeson box's header clearance improvement.   

1st_charger

How does the borgenson box work on our cars with the lower pressure that our pump puts out would they perform better with a high pressure pump?

Kern Dog

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 13, 2015, 12:40:46 PM

An aluminum version of the stock Mopar PS case + a 14:1 pitman & idler arm set for it.   IMO this would have accomplished mostly the same thing as the Borgeson box coversion for less trouble.  That would please everyone in the B/E/C crowd, although the A-body crowd might still like the Borgeson box's header clearance improvement.   

Nobody has ever made an aluminum case for the power steering unit.

myk

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 13, 2015, 10:38:29 PM
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 13, 2015, 12:40:46 PM

Nobody has ever made an aluminum case for the power steering unit.

Not only that, but again the stock box dimensions will not allow headers for most of us.  I refuse to be forced to choose between the two mods lol...

Mike DC

QuoteNobody has ever made an aluminum case for the power steering unit.

Yeah I know.  Nor has anyone ever made a 14:1 arms for the stock PS box, AFAIK.  

I was saying it in the sense that I wish those things did exist.  

Header clearance?  I imagine the Borgeson box would help on A-bodies.  But plenty of people already use headers with stock PS boxes on the B/E cars.  

Kern Dog

The Fast Ratio arms for the standard Mopar P/S unit essentially result in approx 12 ro 1 ratio, down from 15.7 to 1.

Dino

How does a 2nd gen feel with the fast ratio arm compared to stock?  City and highway.  I have a reinforced k member and will run the offset uca bushings to increase caster.  I'm wondering if I need the fast ratio stuff as well.  245 wide tires up front.  Also shimming the power steering box.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Kern Dog

I have only tried the fast ratio arms with the rebuilt stage 3 steering box. This makes the setup about as firm as you can get without touching the pump. reducing the pressure from the pump by way of the shim method is another way to go. I tried it in my BILs 72 Duster but I guess I need a thicker shim pack because it didn't seem to feel any different.
Mine feels much firmer than stock. Some might have a little trouble maneuvering at slow speeds. It isn't as precise as the steering in my 2015 Challenger R/T but I'd say it is the best of all the classic cars that I have driven.

The Fast Ratio arms make the 15.7 ratio (Stock) down to around 12 to 1. The lower the first number, the harder it is to steer but the faster the response.