News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

After market steering anyone using borgenson box

Started by 1st_charger, November 05, 2015, 10:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Good to know, thanks!

So I guess the only possible downside would be that the response at higher speeds could cause the car to change lanes a bit quicer than usual?  With a 12 to 1 that should be something to get used to easily I would think.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 14, 2015, 11:20:18 AM
QuoteNobody has ever made an aluminum case for the power steering unit.

Yeah I know.  Nor has anyone ever made a 14:1 arms for the stock PS box, AFAIK.  

I was saying it in the sense that I wish those things did exist.  

Header clearance?  I imagine the Borgeson box would help on A-bodies.  But plenty of people already use headers with stock PS boxes on the B/E cars.  

I'm referring to headers AND fast ratio arms; 99% of us can't run those mods simultaneously...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Mike DC

What about giving the headers a "heat up and whack" dimpling around the steering linkage areas?  Is the fit so tight it cannot be made to work? 

myk

It's my understanding that the tubes block the linkage to the point that you can't even turn the steering wheel at a point where it's useful.  Personally speaking, if there's a way I can get fast ratio and not ding a single tube that's what I want; with the Doug's headers they went in without a single ding also...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

charlie45

My mechanic is having issues installing the borgeson box with TTi headers on my 528 RB HEMI. Any ideas or solutions?? Worst case I guess one would have to dent the headers slightly, but I am not too inclined to do that, although I saw a video that showed that it had no effect on performance. Would appreciate any useful feedback. Thx.

Dino

Quote from: charlie45 on March 25, 2018, 04:30:56 AM
My mechanic is having issues installing the borgeson box with TTi headers on my 528 RB HEMI. Any ideas or solutions?? Worst case I guess one would have to dent the headers slightly, but I am not too inclined to do that, although I saw a video that showed that it had no effect on performance. Would appreciate any useful feedback. Thx.

Pictures would help, but there's not a lot of room for options. No pun intended. Either the box can be adjusted to clear the headers or it will require modifications such as dimpling the tubes. No you won't lose performance as long as they are shallow, but banging on perfectly good headers is something I'd have an issue with. I'd have to find another way to mount the box.
Installing a custom platform between the box and the k-member for example. It would mean more modification to the steering shaft, but I believe you do that anyway with the Borgeson or are they plug and play these days?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

charlie45

Quote from: Dino on March 25, 2018, 09:15:46 AM

Pictures would help, but there's not a lot of room for options. No pun intended. Either the box can be adjusted to clear the headers or it will require modifications such as dimpling the tubes. No you won't lose performance as long as they are shallow, but banging on perfectly good headers is something I'd have an issue with. I'd have to find another way to mount the box.
Installing a custom platform between the box and the k-member for example. It would mean more modification to the steering shaft, but I believe you do that anyway with the Borgeson or are they plug and play these days?

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures at this point. I really don't know whether the box can be adjusted but from what I understand there isn't really much room for maneuvering. I'm not keen on the idea of dimpling the tubes but there doesn't appear to be much of an alternative. Any other thoughts or wisdom on the matter appreciated...

Mike DC

preserving header tubes  <  getting the steering box mounted right

garner7555

If you move the mounting location of the steering box then it will also affect the steering geometry and potentially cause some major bump steer issues (worse than the factory ones).   About the only option would be different headers, because if the Borgenson box is having clearance issues then there would be no hope of squeezing in a factory box.    :shruggy:  Sorry I wasn't much help.   If it were mine, I would just bend the headers for clearance if you're sure that will work.  I had to bend both of my TTI headers to make them fit and most people claim that they fit perfect. :Twocents:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

JR

I know tti's are expensive, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I vote to clearance them with the hammer of your choosing. It won't effect power any noticable amount and I'd value the steering box over dents in the headers
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

HPP

If headers have been going in with stock steering boxes for decades and the Borgeson is significantly smaller than the stock box, I don't understand how he has an issue. Is it tight, oh heck yea, but others have done it.

I think the best fitting way is either put the the headers in place and lower the engine to them, or bolt the whole shebang to the k frame and drop the body over the assembly

pipeliner

I'm running 1 7/8 TTi headers. My borgeson box wasn't even close to hitting my headers.