News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HEMI ORANGE OR CHRYSLER ORANGE

Started by ht4spd307, November 10, 2015, 03:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ht4spd307

HELLO ALL :wave: I'M TRYING TO DETERMINE WHAT COLOR MY ENGINE SHOULD BE . ITS A 69 CHARGER 440 HP ITS GOT THE ORIGINAL COLOR(s) ON IT :stirthepot: .THE UNDERNEATH COAT IS A LIGHTER SHADE OF ORANGE AND OVER THE TOP OF THAT ITS A DARKER SHADE OF ORANGE  :think: .NOW THE ENGINE ITS SELF LOOKS TO BE NEVER PULL APART OR BEEN PULLED OUT OF THE CAR UNTIL  NOW.I READ IN ANOTHER THREAD A MEMBER SAYING THE HIGH PERFORMANCE 440 ENGINES WERE PAINTED IN CHRYSLER ORANGE AND NOT HEMI ORANGE IS THIS CORRECT  :shruggy: .BRINING ME TO THE QUESTION WHY 2 COLORS  :shruggy:WOULD THE FACTORY RECEIVED THE ENGINES PRE PAINTED HEMI ORANGE AND THEN PAINTED CHRYSLER ORANGE TO IDENTIFY THE HP ENGINES .ANY INPUT TO THIS SUBJECT IS HIGHLY ABSORBED :yesnod: :shruggy: :brickwall: :misbehaving:

Mike DC

Speaking of the most common few orange 1960s Mopar shades here . . .

Mopar made two "Hemi Orange" shades, one they sprayed on the engines and a different one they sprayed on the bodies.  The engine color was more orange-ish and the body color was very red-ish.  The same body color was also called Tor-Red on a Plymouth.

(Don't ask why, this is just common stuff.  The factories do confusing things with color names all the time.  GM called the same color "Hugger Orange" and "Carousel Red" depending on whether you bought it on a Chevy or a Pontiac.  There were two completely different colors both called "Corvette Flame Red" in '68 and '75.  Etc.  Marketing people do not care how much confusion their decisions might cause a restorer 50 years later.)

My guess:

You had an original "Hemi Orange" (engine shade) on the engine from the factory.  Then somebody spray-bombed it with GM "Hugger Orange" engine paint because it's an easier red/orange shade of engine paint to find at the auto parts store.  15-20 years ago you couldn't find as spray can engine paint shades as you can now.

Hugger Orange is more red-ish than Mopar's engine 'Hemi' color, but not quite as red-ish as Mopar's body 'Hemi' color.

ht4spd307

Old Timer

View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Duplic Color Hemi orange engine paint warning
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 10:59:13 AM »
   Reply with quoteQuote
Hemi Orange #1652 is a lighter color than high performance Chrysler orange. You probably wanted #1622 Chrysler Orange.

OReiliys around here stopped stocking #1622 on the shelf and only have #1652 Hemi Orange on the shelf. This is the wrong color for 95% of the people who need orange paint for their wedge Mopar engine. I asked them why they did this, and he said that only #1652 moves and nobody buys #1622. I told him that was bullony and that they were going to get a lot of complaints soon. As you would expect, he didn't care. So I went around and bought all the last of the #1622 in my area  Cheesy

Report to moderator   Logged

comet_666

:iagree:
From what I understand Chrysler Orange goes on the engine and can also be called Chrysler Hemi Orange. It is not as vibrant as the body color.

charge69

I posted a while back about a readily available color I found when touching up the paint on my Hemi engine that looked to be a perfect match. No one here seemed to care or post an answer. It looks to be the perfect shade to me and I would not hesitate to use it again. It's only been about 3 1/2 years ago that my engine was touched up with it, but it is still holding up extremely well.

If someone is actually interested, PM me and I will let then know.

66FBCharger

Quote from: charge69 on November 10, 2015, 09:48:06 AM
I posted a while back about a readily available color I found when touching up the paint on my Hemi engine that looked to be a perfect match. No one here seemed to care or post an answer. It looks to be the perfect shade to me and I would not hesitate to use it again. It's only been about 3 1/2 years ago that my engine was touched up with it, but it is still holding up extremely well.

If someone is actually interested, PM me and I will let then know.
PM sent
John
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

John_Kunkel

There are two Hemi Orange engine colors, Race Hemi Orange and Street Hemi Orange. ("Chrysler Orange" is a generic spray can color). A '69 440 would be painted Street Hemi Orange which is much more red than the Race Hemi Orange which was only used on the Max Wedge and the Race Hemi.

Restoration gurus argue that the commonly available paints are incorrect, they even claim there are two different shades of Street Hemi Orange used by the factory. Personally, I think that, with the metallic omitted, the body color EK2 is very close to the Race Hemi Orange and body color EV2 is very closed to Street Hemi Orange. Some argue that the body paint is too shiny but the paint store can add a dulling compound.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dino

Didn't someone recommend Jeep 9W Mandarin Orange at one time to be a match for 440 HP orange?  I made a note of it.  Bodie was it you?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

maxwellwedge

There is only one orange for HP big blocks.....383/440.  It is not Hemi orange.

Hemi's used 3 different colors.

Race Hemi orange on the Super stock engines.

Street Hemi orange....2 shades.......First - 1966 to the early 69 model year....and then a different shade after that until 1971

Roger Gibson/Frank Badalson formulated the exact color and sell it.

rt_bigblock

volcano orange is the closest you can by in a tin that is the right shade hemi orange  this taubmans color they can make in a 1/4 gallon tin , last for ages and if you  brush 3 coasts on you motor they don't leak oil ...

dulux have a touch up can.

Brock Lee

Quote from: John_Kunkel on November 10, 2015, 02:45:36 PM

There are two Hemi Orange engine colors, Race Hemi Orange and Street Hemi Orange. ("Chrysler Orange" is a generic spray can color). A '69 440 would be painted Street Hemi Orange which is much more red than the Race Hemi Orange which was only used on the Max Wedge and the Race Hemi.

Restoration gurus argue that the commonly available paints are incorrect, they even claim there are two different shades of Street Hemi Orange used by the factory. Personally, I think that, with the metallic omitted, the body color EK2 is very close to the Race Hemi Orange and body color EV2 is very closed to Street Hemi Orange. Some argue that the body paint is too shiny but the paint store can add a dulling compound.

I agree and I do believe they add a dulling agent to the engine paint. The Race Hemi paint cures up looking like it has an almost pink highlight. You can polish away that satin patina and it looks much richer.

ht4spd307

rt_bigblock

The Chrysler orange in a can is a lot more orange.  Than hemi orange has more red, in it hence volcano orange from dulux or taublans  the best thing is to do is try both I have even mixed the 2 together to get the right tint after it has aged with heat ..

a fresh coat in pic.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: ht4spd307 on November 12, 2015, 10:12:16 PM
now i'm really confused :shruggy:

Just get the paint from Frank Badalson ..........the confusion will vanish and you will be happy.  :2thumbs:

And hopefully for the last time.....383/440 HP's are NOT Hemi Orange

http://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com/

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Dino on November 10, 2015, 09:18:18 PM
Didn't someone recommend Jeep 9W Mandarin Orange at one time to be a match for 440 HP orange?  I made a note of it.  Bodie was it you?

Yes. I use it on all orange hp engines exc. Hemi.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 13, 2015, 08:30:03 AM

Just get the paint from Frank Badalson ..........the confusion will vanish and you will be happy.  :2thumbs:

Sure they are! Just ask Mark Worm-man. .................. Sarcasm meter pegged!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

rt_bigblock

I just like the hemi orange, over the 440 hp orange it's a much deeper and richer color. Than the boring flat orange but if wan't to be 100% correct the standard orange is what you must use for that concourse look, Any orange on a mopar is Goooooooood...:)

ht4spd307

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 13, 2015, 08:30:03 AM

hey just check that site says mail orders or fax orders only is this correct as i just cant go in and grab it i'm on the other side of the world brings me to my other problem getting the paint over here as it may be classed as dangerous goods but besides the paint i wish to order another item .. do they sell else were  on line, ebay etc

maxwellwedge

Where do you live?
You can email Frank as well - or call him.