News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New to wiring

Started by D69charger, November 11, 2015, 09:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D69charger

I am new at wiring and trying to figure this out as I go... hooking up gauges and looking for switched 12V source... I am curious if the wire for dash lights on the fuse block would work?  I know I am already tapping that wire for the lights on the gauges and thought I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone. 

John_Kunkel

Your gauges will only work when the lights are on and will be inaccurate if you dim the lights.

Two sources for gauge power are the IGN 1 circuit or ACC if you want the gauges to be on when the switch is in the ACC position.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

D69charger

thanks for the reply.  I guess I should be more clear.... I am installing mechanical temp, oil pressure and a voltmeter gauge.  I just tried my fuse block with a test light... and the last spot (3A spot... says Inst lghts) and I am getting NO power with key on and headlight switch on or key off.  Now my question is... what do I do to correct the problem?  Could I piggyback a connection from the ACC slot on the fuse block to the inst lghts to provide the power?  I am really scratching my head here lol

John_Kunkel

Did you check both sides of the INST LTS fuse with the headlight switch on? If there is power on one side of the fuse only the fuse is blown, if there is no power on either side there's a switch or wiring problem.

If your temp and OP gauges are mechanical you only need keyed power for the voltmeter, the ACC fuse is a good place to tap for power.You can tap the glass fuses for power with the blade tap in the pic below.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

D69charger