News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird clone for sale

Started by wingcarenvy, November 12, 2015, 08:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingcarenvy

Hey guys. Here I am looking at another clone to buy. Wondering what it's worth. He is asking 18k. It a belvedere so it has a post. Also it comes with a "rebuilt" 318 (pretty much worthless to me). It needs quarters trunk floor extensions and a Dutchman. It has nice 70 Coronet fenders and hood. It was running and driving with decent but not perfect interior. Most importantly it has an AAR Superbird kit (stinger originally I think?). It's right around the corner from my vacation home so it's geographically desirable. I was thinking of making an offer. I'd like to hear some input.

oldcarnut

I am far from being someone to say but I'll just offer a couple things to think about. It's not a clone yet, just parts to get you started on making one at least from the pictures it appears things are just propped up on it  :shruggy:.  A kit from stinger AAR is $3200 https://www.aarqualityfiberglass.com/products/kit-superbird .  Others can comment on the quality. I don't see the window plug with it which is included in the kit but the glass fenders and hood (w/kit) may be from them too. No plug = maybe no window either which can cost.  So that roughly leaves you with a 14.5K vehicle missing its hood, fenders, front clip, and etc that you could have sold off for project $$$.  The kit you can get anytime. The car is a post needing body replacements and some pretty good rust removal and missing other stuff that's gonna add up. Its probably got the base dash instead of the rallye  Your also looking at a BB motor and possibly a BB tranny to get since you say the 318 is not for you. So what would you pay for a vehicle in that shape?  All that may not matter to you so the small block, dash, posts etc may suit ya (it's your car) and my clone is not going to look like an off the floor model either but that's a ton of work to do, as I am struggling with, not to have the correct base car to start with to at least add some value to your work and investment and save some upgrade parts hunting.  I guess my point would be to look in the long term what your starting with and possibly what your going to have to do labor and money wise to get your desired version completed.  I think you'd be better off starting with a RR, GTX or Sport Satellite body with the big block stuff, dash, and whatever else there already that you wont have to locate. I have inquired but not got a response yet on this one. http://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/5312856930.html  It just showed up today in my area craigslist. Who knows what it is but it would be a better and cheaper start than that one if it's legit .  Not knocking the one your looking at so much as just trying to let you look in a different perspective.

moparstuart

yup most of the stinger kit is crap too ,  offer him 10 k and move on to the next one
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

wingcarenvy

Thanks for the reply. It is missing the rear window and plug. However it does come with its original fenders and hood. The car isn't super rusty like back east rusty being a California car. I prefer to replace a whole quarter than put 2-3 patches in. I do all my own body work so it's not too big of a deal. I also have all the parts to make it a big block as well. I want to make it a pretty accurate clone but I'm not sure if I would convert it to a hardtop like I did on the last one. Oldcarnut, what do you think it's worth? The Superbird parts (nose specifically) looked pretty good and the thickness is similar to the janek one I had on my last bird clone. Obviously I would like to use all steel and aluminum parts but I need to whip this one up quick and just enjoy it for a few years while I save for the real thing. Anyway any input is greatly appreciated.

BigBlockSam

at most 15k   .....lotsa work there, i wouldn't be happy with a post car either  :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

oldcarnut

Quote from: wingcarenvy on November 13, 2015, 01:16:42 PM
Thanks for the reply. It is missing the rear window and plug. However it does come with its original fenders and hood. The car isn't super rusty like back east rusty being a California car. I prefer to replace a whole quarter than put 2-3 patches in. I do all my own body work so it's not too big of a deal. I also have all the parts to make it a big block as well. I want to make it a pretty accurate clone but I'm not sure if I would convert it to a hardtop like I did on the last one. Oldcarnut, what do you think it's worth? The Superbird parts (nose specifically) looked pretty good and the thickness is similar to the janek one I had on my last bird clone. Obviously I would like to use all steel and aluminum parts but I need to whip this one up quick and just enjoy it for a few years while I save for the real thing. Anyway any input is greatly appreciated.
I'd have to say your more of a better opinion than me especially since you've already built one  :2thumbs: I looked at two noses one day years back and both were about the same thickness but from my limited knowledge on fiberglass the Janek one was much better built.  The wing I saw definitely was one piece and sagged in the middle.  Maybe the AAR stuff is built better now :shruggy:  Which Janek pc did you get, the econo one or the good one to compare?  That's the one thing I was disappointed in was when they went to an econo parts line set.  It used to mean something when you said you had his parts and it meant only one good quality set.  Now I guess people use the name with a econo part to bolster the price as with a good part and those with good parts are questioned if they had econo parts so for me it sorta cheapened the quality of stating you had Janeks parts.  I bought his whole kit when he only had one grade of set to offer.  Anyway this is all I could reference by today and its just a guide.  I was kinda in the 13Kish range considering everything mentioned but again I haven't been out shopping for one either to get a realistic avg.. NADA classic price guide below.  By the way I think the Cl one I posted is a scam judging by the response I got today from him

1970 Plymouth Belvedere
2 Door Coupe
Research another classic car
Values
Original
MSRP    Low
Retail    Average
Retail    High
Retail
Base Price    $2,693    $3,150    $4,850    $9,600
Options: (change)
318/230 HP V8 Engine         15%    15%    15%
TOTAL PRICE:    $2,693    $3,622    $5,577    $11,040

wingcarenvy

My last car I bought with the parts already but I suspect they were the higher quality line. The strength and quality were excellent. The kit with this car is a brand new from AAR and I think the quality is similar to their other products. I have an AAR hood on my swinger and it needed nothing. The best fiberglass part I have ever bought. So back to this car. I threw him an offer of 8k and he accepted. So I pick it up Monday.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

moparstuart

nice score chris   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: finish this one  :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:  Plan on finding a janek wing or a real one  , that one piece will start sagging in the middle soon . 

wingcarenvy

I'm not sure. I may drill a hole in it and glass a piece of chromoly into it to reinforce it.  :2thumbs:

BigBlockSam

Holy Smokes!!!!!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:that's a great deal . good luck with your new project
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

wingcarenvy

Thanks guys and I guess Stuart haha

djcarguy

Quote from: wingcarenvy on November 15, 2015, 10:20:14 AM
I'm not sure. I may drill a hole in it and glass a piece of chromoly into it to reinforce it.  :2thumbs:

read steves,   srt daytona build,,   bout wing .  or open the top corners and add some metal to top blade of wing to reinforce it.  all best on buy an build. :popcrn: :popcrn: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

moparstuart

69_Charger_RT

Congrats  :cheers:  I was very tempted to pick that up as well as my dad is a couple hours away.  Either way please keep us posted on the resto  :2thumbs:  Nice score for 8K!

Did he throw in the motor too?