News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charlie Lyons found 69 Daytona Barn Find found in Alabama

Started by unrulyprocuda, November 17, 2015, 10:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Quote from: odcics2 on January 22, 2016, 08:52:06 PM
Quote from: Devil on January 22, 2016, 05:10:22 PM
Well I guess the car just went over the block.

I know for a fact that the guy Charlie who pulled it out of the car port paid $115,000

It sold for $90,000.

Well there ya go.

Karma, baby!   :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Yea gotta love the Karma.

Redbird

After all the hype, people bidding saw it as a rather ordinary Daytona needing a lot of work.

For the flipper, somehow the alcohol and show didn't do the trick.

So did the original seller get $115K? If so good for him.

The pictures and inflated legend will survive for years.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Redbird on January 22, 2016, 09:55:02 PM
After all the hype, people bidding saw it as a rather ordinary Daytona needing a lot of work.

Sometimes it's not about the money made or lost for some folks, but the pedestal ride of attention/fame/notoriety that became of it, I've know guys that will dump up to $300K into a vehicle worth no more than $60K just to have the bragging rights of a Gold OEM award plaque, then dump the car after the fame was achieved with no regard to the investment or the vehicle

Redbird

I get that many folks can buy whatever they want for whatever price.

That market is fickle though.

IMHO the 600 mile blue car was the one to get on this particular day.

Right up there was the 17 mile car for me. Still nice today, but really nice when it had 17 miles.

I'd love to see the 1970 Vit-C auto show car as it was, sometime before it gets restored.

wingcarenvy

90k doesn't seem outrageous. Daytonas command big money and are out of reach for us blue collar folk now. 90k seems almost doable. As far as the flipper goes, he got his fame alright. He shall be known as the flipper who can't make money on a sure thing. Super famous. I am happy for the original seller who got what he wanted for his car.

Mopar John

I am also happy for the long time owner getting what he wanted for his Daytona!
The few people that still have long time ownership know a thing or two about these rare cars.
From what I read he didn't advertise it or put it up for sale. The buyer went to him.
I feel that the reason the entry level Daytonas bring so much value is that there are not many left.
Once they have gone through some sort of restoration that value gets added to the car.
The quality of restorations is all over the board but the prices tend to be in a smaller range!
MJ

hemi-hampton

Quote from: DAY CLONA on January 22, 2016, 10:08:56 PM
Quote from: Redbird on January 22, 2016, 09:55:02 PM

Sometimes it's not about the money made or lost for some folks, but the pedestal ride of attention/fame/notoriety that became of it, I've know guys that will dump up to $300K into a vehicle worth no more than $60K just to have the bragging rights of a Gold OEM award plaque, then dump the car after the fame was achieved with no regard to the investment or the vehicle

Not to many people like that, a very small handfull. LEON.

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Aero426

Car made the cover of the new issue of ACC.    Great magazine too.

CornDogsCharger

Here's my little story on this particular Daytona.  Prior to Charlie purchasing this car, I had no idea who the guy was... really, I still don't know him, other than coming across as a fast-talking money-hungry car flipper.  So, I don't recall exactly when it was, but when he purchased the car... and the news was JUST hitting Facebook for the first time... he called my boss.  I've restored two Superbirds and a Charger 500 for him (along with a few other cars) and he has casually been looking for a Daytona to purchase.  I'm sure he has told this to a number of people and apparently word got to Charlie. 

The way I remember it, it was on a Wednesday and Doug (my boss) and I were discussing a few things about the 1957 Corvette that I am currently restoring and his phone rang... as it commonly does.  He took the call and walked off.  After I got back from lunch he came back to my work area and told me that some guy named Charlie, down around Mobile, AL, called him and found an "all original" 1969 Daytona that had been sitting up for a long time, still had it's original paint, and only had 20k-something miles on it.  He said it was complete.  And of course, it was for sale.  He asked Doug if he had seen pictures of it or heard the story on the car yet... and Doug hadn't (he doesn't do Facebook, forums, etc.).  He was almost bragging about the story... and was saying "Oh, I'm surprised you haven't heard about it yet".  Like I said, the news JUST hit Facebook (I think it was on the day before).  This was on Wednesday and he just took procession of the car on the previous Saturday.  So Doug is telling me about this newfound car and at the time, I hadn't seen pictures yet... just going off the description that was relayed to me.  In my head, I had a mental picture somewhat of a time capsule 20k mile red Daytona that would have been a little rough around the edges, but still very cool and well worth preserving it as it sat.  With the price that he was asking, that's what I had in mind.  Charlie told him that he really didn't want to sell the car... because he always dreamed of having a Daytona... so he bought this one when he got the chance.  BUT... He's also been trying to buy a real tri-power '67 Corvette, that he knew about, for years and wouldn't you know... it came up for sale right after he purchased the Daytona.  So he was going to "regretfully part with the Daytona" so that he can get the Corvette.... for a small sum of $150K.

Even though the car wasn't a 4-speed car... or a Hemi Daytona, which is what Doug would really rather have, he still considered it.  I think he was more excited about it being an untouched low mile survivor car than anything.  So I quickly searched for this story that is "all over the internet" (Charlie's quote) and found it.  When I saw the pictures, it was a far cry from what he described.  He never even mentioned the flames... and he said it was "slightly bumped" on the nose.  After looking at a few pictures, he knew that he was no longer interested in the car... not at that price at least.  I don't think he even called Charlie back either. 

I was kind of excited about it, because it is still a cool car and a great find.  Just not for that kind of money.  We talked a little more about it.  He asked what I thought it was actually worth.  I told him that it all really depended on #'s matching drivetrain, rust issues, etc. and I said $100k on the high side. He was thinking more along the lines of $60-70k.  HAHA  So there you have it.  I'm just glad that Charlie lost pretty big on it... and I hope that he missed out on his '67 Vette.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

500Jon

A proper 'Charlie' as we say in England? :scratchchin:

Lose a few bucks, win a few bucks, life is a gamble.
Better to have a story to tell, than no story at ALL... :popcrn:

ITS A DAYTONA, you wants one, you pays the man, whatever he asks!!!

I bought a Daytona once. it was less than $1000...
Lot less RUST too... :slap:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Aero426

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on March 10, 2016, 09:17:11 PM

The way I remember it, it was on a Wednesday and Doug (my boss) and I were discussing a few things about the 1957 Corvette that I am currently restoring and his phone rang... as it commonly does.  He took the call and walked off.  After I got back from lunch he came back to my work area and told me that some guy named Charlie, down around Mobile, AL, called him and found an "all original" 1969 Daytona that had been sitting up for a long time, still had it's original paint, and only had 20k-something miles on it.  He said it was complete.  And of course, it was for sale.  He asked Doug if he had seen pictures of it or heard the story on the car yet... and Doug hadn't (he doesn't do Facebook, forums, etc.).  He was almost bragging about the story... and was saying "Oh, I'm surprised you haven't heard about it yet".  Like I said, the news JUST hit Facebook (I think it was on the day before).  This was on Wednesday and he just took procession of the car on the previous Saturday.  So Doug is telling me about this newfound car and at the time, I hadn't seen pictures yet... just going off the description that was relayed to me.  In my head, I had a mental picture somewhat of a time capsule 20k mile red Daytona that would have been a little rough around the edges, but still very cool and well worth preserving it as it sat.  With the price that he was asking, that's what I had in mind.  Charlie told him that he really didn't want to sell the car... because he always dreamed of having a Daytona... so he bought this one when he got the chance.  BUT... He's also been trying to buy a real tri-power '67 Corvette, that he knew about, for years and wouldn't you know... it came up for sale right after he purchased the Daytona.  So he was going to "regretfully part with the Daytona" so that he can get the Corvette.... for a small sum of $150K.

Even though the car wasn't a 4-speed car... or a Hemi Daytona, which is what Doug would really rather have, he still considered it.  I think he was more excited about it being an untouched low mile survivor car than anything.  So I quickly searched for this story that is "all over the internet" (Charlie's quote) and found it.  When I saw the pictures, it was a far cry from what he described.  He never even mentioned the flames... and he said it was "slightly bumped" on the nose.  After looking at a few pictures, he knew that he was no longer interested in the car... not at that price at least.  I don't think he even called Charlie back either. 

Justin
"CornDog"

Very similar to the story Tim Wellborn told.   Charlie had shopped the car to him in similar fashion.    At first, Tim was interested in the car just as it was.     But when Charlie told him about all the internet exposure,  Tim told him straight out that he wasn't a buyer.     It could have been a big positive for his museum had THEY been able to reveal the car and generate the publicity.     Once the cat was out of the bag on the internet, there was no reason to pay the money being asked.   Tim told him, "Sorry, Charlie".