News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wiper motor looks not strong enough

Started by charger-project.com, November 18, 2015, 05:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger-project.com

Hi all,

I've completely restored my 69 charger and now I am trying to get it ready for the dutch vehicle inspection. Therefor the wiper functionality needs to work.

The problem:
I have a 2-speed wiper-motor that runs fine in 2 speeds and a stop position without issues. (so linkage etc. is all fine). But when I attach 1 or 2 wipers+new blades, the motor seems not strong enough to get the wipers moving. When I help the motor by a little finger it is working just fine.

But when I not help the motor it will not move and will slip. When I remove the wipers the studs do rotate back and forwards without any issues.

Does anyone know what is going on? Do I need a new motor or is there something wrong with the power level?

Also tried it with a running engine, in order to check if enough voltage will come from the battery, but still the same problem.
1969 charger restoration, total restoration process can be found at www.charger-project.com and foto.charger-project.com/   |   1969 charger SE 440 727

Dino

Before I upgraded my wiring and alternator, the wiper motor would not smoothly move the wipers when the car was idling, but they worked fine at higher rpm.  With the wiper motor hooked up directly to a battery it should have enough juice to work the wipers though.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

charger-project.com

Thanks for your reply

Hmmm OK I will try to test it at higher RPM,
Could it be that I used the wrong balast resistor on the motor or should this make no difference?
because I also used one for the engine harness see picture attached:
(also heard people on this forum are saying no ballast resistor is required for 2-speed wiper motor) but mine was setup like this before restoring, or maybe original.
1969 charger restoration, total restoration process can be found at www.charger-project.com and foto.charger-project.com/   |   1969 charger SE 440 727

Dino

You can measure the resistance on each and see if they're in the right spot.  I don't know the values off hand, they may be in the service manual.  The wiper motor needs the resistor to operate at low speed. Without it you will only have high speed working.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

PlainfieldCharger

I would think the motor needs to come apart to have look at the commutater. That is what the carbon brushes contact. Used to clean them up with a good pencil eraser to help get full voltage to the armature :Twocents:

Topher

Have you checked the voltage coming into the motor? If it doesn't make a good connection you will lose voltage.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

c00nhunterjoe

Check the bulkhead connector for corrosion.