News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tachometer/clock rebuilder ???

Started by Highbanked Hauler, November 30, 2015, 10:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Who would you would recommend for  a tach/clock rebuild and also an idea on price ? Thanks..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Brock Lee

I would consider doing it yourself. They are very simple machines.

These guys still carry the components you need to rebuild them. They also offer a rebuilding service. http://premiumdashdecals.com/

FWIW, I recently went through mine. The clock was intermittent, and the tach stopped working. I took the whole thing apart to decal it with Premiums sticker kit, and figured I would try and clean it before rebuilding. I flushed out all the moving parts with a contact cleaner and lubed with some electronics grease. It works perfectly now. Clock and tach.

ChargerRT69

Quote from: Brock Lee on November 30, 2015, 11:33:20 AM
I would consider doing it yourself. They are very simple machines.

These guys still carry the components you need to rebuild them. They also offer a rebuilding service. http://premiumdashdecals.com/

FWIW, I recently went through mine. The clock was intermittent, and the tach stopped working. I took the whole thing apart to decal it with Premiums sticker kit, and figured I would try and clean it before rebuilding. I flushed out all the moving parts with a contact cleaner and lubed with some electronics grease. It works perfectly now. Clock and tach.

Did you update any of the components besides the decals? Quartz clock or circuit board for the tach?

Considering this myself, but looking into what is needed. Would you ever trust the tach as you only option or still use a aftermarket tach?

Brock Lee

I changed nothing. In this case cleaning and lubricating fixed all of its issues.

I have an automatic and don't race. I don't need an accurate tach. However, interesting to note is there is a potentiometer on the tach board. It can be calibrated. If you have a way of sending a known pulse to the tach, you could calibrate it while apart with a screwdriver. If you know what RPM's your car idles at, while its out, take the cover off the back, hook up the tach and adjust the potentiometer until the number is correct. I cleaned the potentiometer too. I just marked where it was and re-positioned it back after cleaning.

The clock, if that feature was important to me, I would change it out anyway. It loses a couple minutes a week The quartz is more accurate. But my car sits with battery disconnected 90% of the time.