News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger R/T steering column firewall plate????

Started by NateCharger, December 02, 2015, 12:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NateCharger

I have a 71' Charger R/T, automatic, floor shift car. I am starting to pull the whole dash out to restore it, and the first thing I wanted to do was pull the steering column. I got started and found this! Now way this plate is correct! The holes don't even line up! Can someone out there help me? What is this plate out of? Where can I find the RIGHT one? THANKS!!!

BLK 68 R/T

It looks correct to me, just has the wrong bolts to hold it on. Original bolts have a much larger washer to cover the rest of the hole.

NateCharger

So I just have the wrong bolts, any idea where I can find the right ones?

BLK 68 R/T

RT Specialties

I think they are the same as the trunk lid bolts so if you have any spare ones of those they should work as well.

http://www.rtspecialties.net/proddetail.asp?prod=6025354

NateCharger

Curious, what is the purpose of the enlarged holes?

Dino

To make up for the tolerances throughout the car.  With one end of the steering colum bolted to the dash and the other in the steering gear, the large holes in the firewall plate allow you to keep the column centered.  If they were small you may end up putting unwanted sideload on the steering shaft.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Bronzedodge

There's a specific order to bolt it down also.  I think it's in the FSM.  Basically you make sure it is attached to the steering box and there's no side load on the lower column bushing, so there's no excessive wear or friction.    :2thumbs:
Mopar forever!