News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lets not forget!

Started by 500Jon, December 05, 2015, 06:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

500Jon

Hi Aero's,
If Mother Mopar had not invented the Gen-2 68-Charger, probably the best looking muscle car of all time then...
Aero cars would probably not even exist as we know them!!! :scratchchin:

The Gen-1 66/67-Charger was a very good design for Nascar, Fast-back but flat-fronted.
If the front had been remodelled with the 68 Coronet flush grille then who knows, the gen-2 may never have existed.
(The designers at the time were  un-concerned about a race Charger for 68, as the the sunk back window and sunken grille was a disaster!!!)

The modifications for late 68 Charger, aka the C500 were almost good enough to cure the problem.
The grille was an 'over the counter' 68 part, but the flush back window was not to everyones liking!
If the original 68 design had been 'bubble back' window then it would never have sold so well!!! :shruggy:
The deep set almost vertical rear window was a styling masterpiece, just crap at aerodynamics...

The Charger Daytona was an outrageous step-up into full Aero wars and were very lucky to get away with it! :slap:
If it had been banned then the Superbirds and their successes would never have happened.

But more important was the 'on the road' advertising that Wingcars did for Mother Mopar.

We call it MARMITE here in the UK, you either love them or hate them!!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Ghoste

I don't think the problem on the 1st gen was the front, that grille was already pretty flush.  I think the big issue there was the shape of the fastback was too much like an airfoil and created lift.  The 2nd gen was coming anyway but you're right about the rest as far as it being styled for looks not coefficient of drag.
Maybe instead of blaming the stylists for the 2nd gen Charger we should thank the Ford team?  The Ford crew had a car we needed to beat.

500Jon

Thanx for the reply Ghoste!
No blame towards the Dodge stylists for the 68 non-Aero Charger problems.
It is still the most pleasing Mopar ever made for looks and presence! :2thumbs:

If Nascar was so important to Dodge, then why was the C500 an after thought?
Same goes for Plymouth with the 68 Roadrunner, a wonderful car just awful at Super-Speedway! :slap:

Surely a simple fix for the 67 Charger was a modern style trunk spoiler and a lower front surface area like Frauds did??? :scratchchin:

500Jon

Yes I see the problem now! :cheers:

Too many Frauds blocking up the track... :slap:

500Jon

Was it the car or the driver??? :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

odcics2

Petty went to Ford for '69 to win on the speedways, which he didn't do in 69!    :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

500Jon

Not sure why Mother Mopar didn't copy Ford with smaller front mods?

Ghoste

While NASCAR was important to Chrysler Jon, we should also keep in mind that it was much more important to them to sell cars.  Thier one and only use for NASCAR was as a marketing tool.  They didn't sell 66-67 Chargers anymore by the time of the Charger 500.  Modifying an old platform would have been a senseless waste of time and money.  The public had already spoken as far as it's preference between the looks of the 67 versus the 68 and the 1st gens had done well in NASCAR (from a marketing point of view anyway  ;) ) so that exercise had gone as far as it was ever going to go.

Aero426

Quote from: 500Jon on December 06, 2015, 08:06:25 AM

If Nascar was so important to Dodge, then why was the C500 an after thought?

The 500 was never an after thought.   It was intended to be THEEEEEEEEEEEE 1969 race car.     Period.  

The decision by Ford to pursue the Talladega idea for production came AFTER the Charger 500 was announced.    If Chrysler made one mistake, it was announcing the Charger 500 a bit early in October of 1968.     They gave Ford just enough time to react. 

Ghoste

Did homologation rules at the time require it to be publicly available for a certain period of time prior to racing?

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on December 07, 2015, 02:14:09 PM
Did homologation rules at the time require it to be publicly available for a certain period of time prior to racing?

Not that I am aware of.   It just had to be proven that the cars were actually built. 

odcics2

Quote from: Ghoste on December 07, 2015, 02:14:09 PM

I believe the Daytona was announced in April 1969 in order to race as a 69 1/2 model.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

Okay.  I thought for some reason NASCAR went through a period there where they required not only a minimum number built but a certain amount of lead time from public availability to race eligibility.