News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electronic Ignition and Performance

Started by ODZKing, December 08, 2015, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ODZKing

Can someone educate me on the difference between a 6000, 8000 & 10,000 RPM ECU?
I converted both my 67 and 73 over to the Mopar Performance system and purchased the kit for each.
However I was considering purchasing another Orange ECU to keep as a spare, but there are 3 of them for a "B" engine.
Both of mime are basically stock and I have no interest in ever racing them, in fact if anything I'd rather they simply run sooth and get decent mileage.
So is there any advantage for me to use anything but the 6000 that came with the kit?
:popcrn:

nascarxx29

orange box good to RPM of 6000 Chrome box higher Gold box a race piece not recommended for street
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Bronzedodge

For running on the street?  You should be fine with what you have.  I run a stock production box from a junkyard.  Good to 5000 rpm.  The other boxes are more refined electronically for faster switching at higher rpm.  If your motor doesn't make power over 6k then you don't need them.

Now, friends that have installed MSD ignitions vs stock have told me there's a noticeable difference.  It's big though for a regular 6AL.

There was a bad run of the Orange boxes years ago - I bought a kit for my old Fury wagon Fury and the box "oscillated" - arc from the coil tower to the primary ground, constantly!  Tried different coil, ballast.  It was the box.
Mopar forever!

Ghoste

Are you saying the current crop of orange boxes don't suffer from a quality issue?

skip68

It was several years ago that the Orange boxes had issues.  7-8 years ago if I remember correctly.  I had 2 of them and then I got a used chrome one (I think from VegasMike) and had no problems.  
Later I switched to all MSD 6AL.  
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

ODZKing

Thanks for the replies. Yes, now that I think of it neither one of my cars ever get much above 3000 RPM. So does it fire faster above 6000, 8000 etc. I guess that was my question as well.

And Skip, yes ... my original orange box was intermittent and finally died.  I'd purchased that for my 67 in 05. When I was restoring the 73 in 2010/11, I'd purchased a kit for the 73, ECU of which is now on the 67. I simply went to my local dealer who was nice enough to warranty the first one for me and got another. The nice thing about getting it from my local dealer who is also a friend.
Since then I have been meaning to get a spare and haven't thought about it again until now, actually replying to another post. I have the original ECU in the trunk but realized it is a 5 pin and won't work with my current set up.
And I know there are folks out there who will say they are undependable and have gone a different route. But defects happen everywhere and I know at least 2 people who HAD the MSD and changed to something else because of issues. So everything has it's plus and minus's.
I like this simply because there was no rewiring involved when I ordered the new harness and it is basically plug and play and looks stock for the most part.

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Bronzedodge

Hi Shaun,

Yes, as Skip said, it was a long time ago the Orange boxes had issues.  I would hope whomever has the Mopar Performance franchise now would have fixed it.
Mopar forever!

Ghoste

I know they began a number of years ago, right about the time "Made in Mexico" appeared on them, but I was not aware that anything had been done to fix the problems with them.  Is there not a transistor in them that has now been sourced to China (that bastion of quality(?

A383Wing

friend called me the other night, his orange box just went out all of a sudden....typical

davidcam69

Are the Rev-n-nator's dependable and worth the money? I like the idea of having a rev-limiter with my 4 speed.

Ghoste

Supposed to be, but they are a different animal in a way as they are made by a "little guy" who cares about his reputation and quality etc. as opposed to a corporation that needs everything sourced to the lowest common denominator in order to ensure there is at least enough money on hand to pay the well deserved salaries at the top.

davidcam69

Don't mind paying for quality and supporting the little guy.    Thanks