News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Standard steering to PS

Started by blinkey, December 14, 2015, 11:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blinkey

Hey guys Im looking to go from standard steering in my 69 Charger to PS, cause its just to hard to park. Whats the easiest way to go about this. Ive heard theres these new PS boxes you can buy, and would I still need a PS pump, arent there some electric ways to go about it or is going PS the stock way the best. Do I need to replace front end parts as well?,,,,,Cost? :brickwall:

cavemanno1

I need to find out about it as well,so let me know if you got your answer!
Need ps box,pump,bracket,matching pulleys,hoses and a steering colum because they are not the same lengh,was told!

That's all i know!

cavemanno1

I have found these online and both are meant to be the same!Are they the same or is it me that the blue one looks different?

lukedukem

i could be wrong but the columns are different for PS vs Manual steering. one is shorter than the other i think. maybe someone else will chime in

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

blinkey

Definatley different.  If you are right and I have to change the steering wheel colunm, I think I will stay pat. Too much work

birdsandbees

I'd never give up my "Armstrong" steering in the 'Bee. Pain in the ass to parallel park sure, but who is doing that with our classics these days? Wish my 'Bird had manual vs PS as well.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

cavemanno1

Quote from: blinkey on December 17, 2015, 04:25:11 PM
  Definatley different.  If you are right and I have to change the steering wheel colunm, I think I will stay pat. Too much work

I'd like to have power steering but it does turn out to be expensive and a pain to get all those parts!I won't drive it every day so i just leave it as is.At least i would be $1k swap it  :flame: and could use the money somewhere instead!

HPP

Quote from: cavemanno1 on December 16, 2015, 11:19:42 AM
Need ps box,pump,bracket,matching pulleys,hoses and a steering colum because they are not the same lengh,was told!

To create a factory appearing PS set up, the list above is correct. You do not need to swap any other front end parts over. Yes, it will easily cost a grand once all the parts are collected, maybe even more.

There is an alternative power steering set up to factory, but it costs even more. This is using the Borgeson box. You still need everything but the column from the above list and the Borgeson box is more expensive than the  OEM style box.

There are no kits for electrics steering, although there are a few guys who have converted. This can be double the  standard power steering cost to get everything you need for it plus fabricate the special brackets you'll need.