News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Charger HVAC questions....

Started by Kern Dog, December 17, 2015, 03:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I am nearing completion of several interior upgrades and I'd really like to get the heater and A/C system to work. I've had the Charger since March of 2000 and in all this time, the heater has never worked. I haven't really cared all that much since the car is primarily a 3 season driver anyway.
The car is a 1970 Charger with factory A/C. I'd actually prefer that it were not an A/C setup but it is. The plastic electric/vacuum switch was so stiff, the push button keys barely could move. I replaced the switch while I was doing the wiring changes and the new guage installation. The keys all move freely now. I get no power to the switch though. On the engine side, the fan does not get power either. If I disconnect the wire leading to the fan motor and add a jumper wire to it, the fan will spin. I have a FSM to trace that wire but I was hoping to get some insight as to why the fan may not be getting power if all the wiring associated to it is unmolested. Is there a relay that is troublesome? If so, where is it?
I need to run a vacuum line from the engine to the small storage can for the A/C operation. Is it likely that the electric/vacuum switch needs a vacuum signal to allow the fan to energize? Sorry to sound like an idiot here, I'm trying to learn more about electrical systems and can really benefit from the help!

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 17, 2015, 03:21:10 AM
I get no power to the switch though.

Without power to the switch, nothing HVAC related is gonna work.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Kern Dog

I messed around with the car for almost 3 hours yesterday and am happy to report that I DID get the fan to work!
There is a 6 pin male/female connector that leads to the vacuum switch. Only 5 ports are used. I simply pulled the connector apart, blew into both, then snapped it back together. I must have not pushed it together tight enough before when I had the heater/A-C panel out to change the switch.
I did have to pull the ashtray and guage cluster again to get a clear view of it all. The fan works on low and high but only using the A/C buttons. I tried the HEAT and DEF buttons but the fan stopped. I'm thinking that the various vacuum connections redirect the air doors and since I currently have no vacuum hoses attached from the engine to the system, that is my next move. I just bought 43 feet of 7/64" hose and some connectors to replace the brittle sections under the hood.

Kern Dog

Hello again...

I finally got the fan to spin for my heater/A-C system after replacing the vacuum switch. Strange thing is, the fan only blows in the A/C and Max A/C settings. The fan stops when I press either the Heat or Defroster buttons. The heater box has never been out of the car but the dash side vacuum lines look fine. I replaced the vacuum lines on the engine side but with no clear listing anywhere of the correct route, I just did what I thought made sense.
From a manifold vacuum port on the carburetor, I ran a line to the small vacuum can. Halfway to the can, the line has a T that allows a separate line pass through the firewall. On the vacuum can, the other nipple has a line that also runs through the firewall with a T that has a line going to a thermo valve on the firewall.
I am totally new to these vacuum/electric type heater systems. I'm confused as to why the fan only works on the A/C function.
Any helpful guidance out there? YouTube was no help!