News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fiberglass hood for winged cars

Started by xx29440charger, December 17, 2015, 02:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xx29440charger

I was wondering if anybody has put a fiberglass hood on their winged car and my concern is if it stays in place while driving. Of Course everybody knows that latch pins hold it down in the front and that's my main concern. (Movement while driving)

Hemi Runner

I have a Glasstek fiberglass bolt on hood for my bird. I have not had it on the road yet as it's under construction, but my concern is the front lip, or lack of one. With the nose on, it seems a lot of air could get under the front of the hood and flex it. I'm thinking about glassing a lip on it to prevent that.

xx29440charger

I'd like to get a metal hood but they don't sell them for 70 charger / 69 Daytona's . There are no 70 metal hoods for sale in my area and I don't want to purchase one without seeing it in person so that leaves me A choice of getting a fiberglass hood or waiting till a metal hood pops up for sale in my area. My concern is that the Glass hood will wobble when I am driving

Ghoste

Are you talking about just pinning it at the four corners like the 69 1é2 A12 cars or are you planning to use the stock hinge at the back?

xx29440charger

I'm planning on using the stock hinges with new springs in the back and pins in the front

Hemi Runner

Quote from: xx29440charger on December 17, 2015, 04:13:32 PM
I'd like to get a metal hood but they don't sell them for 70 charger / 69 Daytona's . There are no 70 metal hoods for sale in my area and I don't want to purchase one without seeing it in person so that leaves me A choice of getting a fiberglass hood or waiting till a metal hood pops up for sale in my area. My concern is that the Glass hood will wobble when I am driving

The glass hood I bought isn't going to wobble under normal driving, but with what I'm building, I could end up with 170mph trap speeds and I worry about it ripping the hood to pieces if air got under it.

A383Wing

as stated, they don't make a 'glass hood for the Daytona, at least not that I have heard or found

correction, this guy does, but from what I have heard, his parts are not that great of quality

http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/charger.html

xx29440charger

I always thought that you could use a 1970 charger hood for a Daytona I thought they were very similar

Ghoste

Same basic hood as a 70 but modified for the wing car.

xx29440charger

What are the modifications to a 70 hood if you are going to put it on a Daytona the only thing that I am aware of is the hood pins

UFO

VFN has a 70 charger hood.
Or used to ,I got one from them a few years ago.

Hemi Runner

Quote from: UFO on December 17, 2015, 09:54:40 PM
VFN has a 70 charger hood.
Or used to ,I got one from them a few years ago.

Glasstek does as well. I've gotten some really nice parts from them.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: xx29440charger on December 17, 2015, 08:24:17 PM
I always thought that you could use a 1970 charger hood for a Daytona I thought they were very similar

The vast majority of 69 Daytonas use an early build 70 Charger hood that has no front support ribs...

attached photo is of a 70 Charger hood that has the 4 support braces/ribs, the red hood is 69 Daytona non ribbed hood

Most are under the impression the non ribbed hood used on the Daytona was for latchtray clearance issues, not so, as I've seen a few original cars over the years with ribbed hoods, plus I've built many Tona's using ribbed 70 hoods with no contact issues, with the nosecone in the stock location, and even flush mounted/molded in nosecones moved back 3/4" where the latchtray is even closer to the angle of the hood ribs, still no contact

If your looking for a fiberglass hood, VFN, Glasstek, USBodySource, Unlimited all offer race pin on and bolt on stock 70 Charger replacement hoods, if the fiberglass hood has the ribbing, you could remove it if so desired, same goes for a stock steel production hood, should you go that route as well

FYI... when you mount your hood pin bezels, Daytona screw orientation is clocked in a + desination, or North/South/East/West designation when viewing the hood from the front of the car, not an X formation that is common for other mopar production models

Mike

A383Wing

I had to remove the ribs on mine so it would shut

DAY CLONA

Quote from: A383Wing on December 18, 2015, 12:23:06 AM
I had to remove the ribs on mine so it would shut

IIRC, your car is a Janek kit?, so the added thickness of fiberglass components could be the contributing factor there?, esp the latchtray

I always use a steel latchtray in my builds, here's my car, the nose is moved back 3/4" molded in, "stock" 70 steel hood with ribs, no clearance issues, no contact at all, close fit, esp with the nose and tray moved back 3/4"

Mike

held1823

Quote from: xx29440charger on December 17, 2015, 04:13:32 PM

where is your area? i know of one near indy
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

xx29440charger

A383Wing

yea, mine is a Janak kit...but we have an original Daytona up here that had to have the hood replaced also, he had to remove the ribs as well in order for the hood to close