News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

400 / 470

Started by gsniegow, August 03, 2015, 09:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsniegow

This season I decided to retire the 383 and replace it with a 400 / 470 stroker motor from Muscle Motors.  I figured I would post my progress and results thus far for anyone else who may be considering the same.

To start with I called Muscle Motors and contracted with them to build me their 400 /470 short block which can be found on their website.

http://www.musclemotorsracing.com/short-blocks/big-block-stroker-short-block.html

I further asked them if I could drop of my Performer RPM heads and intake along with my QuickFuel 830 carb to complete the long block.  I had them do some head work, the cam break in and dyno tune.

I am quite pleased with the results thus far!  She has a peak torque of 611.2 and peak hp of 547.9.  Yes, there will be quite a loss at the rear wheels  but even so I am expecting the Charger to be a new beast!

This week I am having my local mechanic drop the engine in, add all the accessories and such.  With luck I'll be enjoying her by weeks end!  I do plan at some point to get her on a chasis dyno and see what the rear wheel numbers are but all in all I am very happy and looking forward to releasing the beast!

Many thanks (again) to Ron for helping me along this journey!

scott1973

Can you pass on any spec's on your motor.  I just put my 470" in but have a few things to do before we crank it for the first time.  I'd like get an idea of what kind of power I might make if our builds are similar.  I will be doing everything in the garage so I won't get any dyno numbers, etc.

Thanks,
Scott

justcruisin

Nice, that's a killer street build with great torque numbers right through. Post up some engine specs and some detail on the head work. :2thumbs:

gsniegow

I left most of the documentation with my mechanic who is doing the installation for me.  When I get the car back, I will dig through it and post up as much information as I can.

As far as the head work goes, this is what was described to me by Muscle Motors.  "We do what we call a "tune up" on RPM or Stealth heads. Those heads are made in production and the valve jobs tend to have a lot of run out. We perform a performance valve job with perfect concentricity and also back cut the valves for increased flow. We then check and correct valve guide sizing and surface mill the heads for an optimum gasket sealing surface. "

I'll try to get more details up as soon as possible.

68Charger4me

I wish you luck with your motor from them.  took them almost 6 months to get mine after saying it would take up to 3 months.  Then the Milodon oil pan developed a leak, they replaced it thankfully.  Then it sprung a rear main leak, explained to them that knurled area on the crank had bad rust pitting,they wont even answer the phone or return my emails, never again...Crank seal area was off center too, had to shim the seal on one side to get it to seal.  Sorry for the rant....

myk

Krikey.

How much did all of this set you back OP?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

gsniegow

Quote from: 68Charger4me on August 04, 2015, 10:43:24 AM
I wish you luck with your motor from them.  took them almost 6 months to get mine after saying it would take up to 3 months.  Then the Milodon oil pan developed a leak, they replaced it thankfully.  Then it sprung a rear main leak, explained to them that knurled area on the crank had bad rust pitting,they wont even answer the phone or return my emails, never again...Crank seal area was off center too, had to shim the seal on one side to get it to seal.  Sorry for the rant....

They originally promised a 13 week lead time.  Ultimately it took them around 20 weeks. 

As for the issues you have had, I am sorry to hear that and I pray that I do not experience the same! 

gsniegow

Quote from: myk on August 04, 2015, 10:46:29 AM
Krikey.

How much did all of this set you back OP?

My case was different as I supplied some of the top end components for the short block.  I also did not have a core 400 block, so I had to purchase a core from them.  I also paid for crating and shipping the engine to my mechanic.  So there are several variables invloved which would be different for you.  Their website list the base costs though and I will say that they were spot on with their estimate when I called them, no price surprises at all!  My past experiences have always been WAY off but they held true to the price estimate.  I don't want to speak on their behalf, but call them,  They are very responsive on the sales side and will provide a estimate same day. 

cdr

i called them on this

400/511": 4.25 stroke x 6.535 rod, 4.375 bore 1.320 CH piston

My personal favorite combo for competition. These kits work really well with bigger port heads such as 440-1's or B1's. In a 400 block I don't build anything bigger because there just isn't any point in a stock block! This combo has a piston with a 1.320 compression height. What that all means is that it stops the piston at zero deck on an unmachined block. We charge an additional $100 to mill to tops of the pistons down (before balancing) to make sure you don't end up with a positive deck piston or not enough piston to head clearance.

Only: $2099

they said with shipping & a 6 % credit card charge it would be 2800.00.  So i got mine from 440 source  
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

firefighter3931

Awesome....those are fantastic numbers for a 470ci pump gas build.  :2thumbs:  I'd be thrilled with those results.  :coolgleamA:

Looking forward to your first drive with the new and improved engine combination. That's a huge power increase !!  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

XH29N0G

I had them build a similar set up with a 383 (451ci in the end) a few years ago. It was a huge change for my car.  Some different sounds (valvetrain and pistons), but all has held together well and I am very happy with it.  Have fun.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Derwud

What cam are you running?
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

gsniegow

Quote from: Derwud on August 19, 2015, 01:53:24 PM

Comp Cams XE275HL  231/237 @.05

Ron - Car was all together last week.  There is a HUGE difference in performance!  Currently tackling some smaller issues, but I expected that.  My "kickdown" or whatever people like to call it needed to be adjusted, still trying to perfect that.  My temps seem to run a bit higher than I like.  Then again that's according to the stock gauge, so I JUST ran a second AutoMeter temp gauge so I can know for sure.  But all in all I am extremely happy with the Ass-O-Meter results! 

gsniegow

Quote from: scott1973 on August 03, 2015, 07:21:37 PM
Can you pass on any spec's on your motor.  I just put my 470" in but have a few things to do before we crank it for the first time.  I'd like get an idea of what kind of power I might make if our builds are similar.  I will be doing everything in the garage so I won't get any dyno numbers, etc.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,

What particulars are you looking for?  I have some paperwork from MM but nothing that has a complete breakdown of all the internal parts.  If there is something in particular you are looking for, I will try to find it.  If not, I can certainly call MM and ask them.

Thanks

~Gene

firefighter3931

Quote from: gsniegow on August 21, 2015, 02:19:00 PM
Quote from: Derwud on August 19, 2015, 01:53:24 PM

Comp Cams XE275HL  231/237 @.05

Ron - Car was all together last week.  There is a HUGE difference in performance!  Currently tackling some smaller issues, but I expected that.  My "kickdown" or whatever people like to call it needed to be adjusted, still trying to perfect that.  My temps seem to run a bit higher than I like.  Then again that's according to the stock gauge, so I JUST ran a second AutoMeter temp gauge so I can know for sure.  But all in all I am extremely happy with the Ass-O-Meter results! 

Good to hear Gene  :2thumbs: That engine combo is easily 200hp/200tq stronger than the previous one so it should feel quite different on the butt dyno.  :icon_smile_big:

It usually takes a bit of time to sort out the bugs but you'll get there  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs