News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970Moparmann's Superbird - Continuous questions.....

Started by 1970Moparmann, November 27, 2012, 10:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

Thanks Dave!   I hope that the frame rails are okay.  If so, it will be on the road in Spring!    Yesterday, I went to my friends place to give some storage money, and had to pinch myself again that I have a Bird... Can't wait to get it home again! :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

1970Moparmann

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on April 30, 2013, 10:28:56 AM
More pictures-

Ok guys, finally getting back to the Bird.   Going to start up all the questions again....

Anyone know if the Birds hood latch is the same for all 70 models?

DAY CLONA

That looks like a "homemade" latch tray you have there, or someone cut out a rotted/damaged center section and used just the front/rear rails,... I'd suggest you get one of Gene Gregory's one piece steel latchtrays before they're gone, IIRC they retail for under $750

Just a little FYI...Superbird latchtrays were just leftover Daytona trays, "turned 180 degrees, the end tabs cut off, the rear lip tab trimmed down, the Tona' safety latch hole plated over with a patch, a new hole punched for the Bird's safety latch, a hood spring added, and a few new mounting holes, and wala! the Superbird latch tray was created, my trays are created mush like J.McGaughey's were, formed, welded...Gene's are true 1 piece stampings like original

Superbird tray pictured below is a J.McGaughy piece, the Daytona steel tray is one of my pieces, sorry I don't have a pic of my Superbird tray at this time, but I do make them, if interested

Mike

Arnie Cunningham

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,74685.0.html
more on the latch itself

Your latch tray has been modified.  Hopefully they kept the clips that hold the spring in place - they are Superbird only unless you count the one you might find on a 1970 Imperial.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

1970Moparmann

Hey guys, I met Gene last year and picked up a new latch tray.  :cheers:   Gene is a great guy.... Went to his shop and talked Mopars for a few hours.

1970Moparmann

Ok guys, I've had this car for three years already..... FINALLY going to get it on the road! :2thumbs:

Looking at the 6 pack carbs, the car came with the following carbs -

List 4382 date code of 2679 (Front)

List 4365 date code of 3399 (Outboard)

List 4144 date code of 0436 (Center)

From what I am reading, my front carb is the only thing that is correct.   I'm showing the Bird should have a 4375 (Center) and a 4383 (Rear).   Can someone confirm this?

I appreciate the help! :cheers:

Dave Kanofsky

YAY MIKE!!!

I can't help you on the carb numbers, but I am REALLY looking forward to seeing the car on the road!

MoPower Madness in Bartlett will be here before you know it...(Sunday, May 15th)
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on January 04, 2016, 01:49:30 PM
YAY MIKE!!!

I can't help you on the carb numbers, but I am REALLY looking forward to seeing the car on the road!

MoPower Madness in Bartlett will be here before you know it...(Sunday, May 15th)

Thanks Dave!   Looking forward to bringing it out!  Drive train is coming out in no more than two weeks! 

Mopar John

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 10, 2015, 08:44:38 PM
Hey guys, I met Gene last year and picked up a new latch tray.  :cheers:   Gene is a great guy.... Went to his shop and talked Mopars for a few hours.
Mike,
Great find getting an authentic replacement latch tray for your Superbird!
That is one of the most noticeable items when you lift the hood.
MJ

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Mopar John on January 04, 2016, 06:40:10 PM
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 10, 2015, 08:44:38 PM
Mike,
Great find getting an authentic replacement latch tray for your Superbird!
That is one of the most noticeable items when you lift the hood.
MJ

John, it looks great also!   Meeting Gene was a great experience also.  What a great guy....

Mopar John

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on January 02, 2016, 04:51:38 PM
Ok guys, I've had this car for three years already..... FINALLY going to get it on the road! :2thumbs:

Looking at the 6 pack carbs, the car came with the following carbs -

List 4382 date code of 2679 (Front)

List 4365 date code of 3399 (Outboard)

List 4144 date code of 0436 (Center)

From what I am reading, my front carb is the only thing that is correct.   I'm showing the Bird should have a 4375 (Center) and a 4383 (Rear).   Can someone confirm this?

I appreciate the help! :cheers:
Mike,
I got home before 426 Linda and had time to remove the air cleaner and check out the carbs!
Here is what I found:
Front carb LIST 4382 dated 323 9
Center carb LIST 4376 dated 321 9 ( AUTO TRANS! )
Rear Carb LIST 4383 dated 324 9

I was surprised by how close the dates were on the 3 different carbs within 3 days.
Also even more surprised by how close to the November 28th build date 332 9 they were!
MJ

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Mopar John on January 05, 2016, 04:18:35 PM

Mike,
I got home before 426 Linda and had time to remove the air cleaner and check out the carbs!
Here is what I found:
Front carb LIST 4382 dated 323 9
Center carb LIST 4376 dated 321 9 ( AUTO TRANS! )
Rear Carb LIST 4383 dated 324 9

Thanks a lot John!!   Hope to have my Bird next to yours soon!