News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Horizontal mounted coils.

Started by 440, January 14, 2016, 06:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anyone have MSD oil filled coils mounted sideways? MSD recommends all oil filled coils be mounted upright, however, the factories mounted millions of coils sideways.

Is it only because the higher output increases the chance for it to ground out internally?

I want a standard HEI style coil that I can mount horizontal on the intake, such an animal doesn't exist from MSD.

johnnycharger

My msd blaster coil has been sideways for over a decade.

johnnycharger

Troy

Mine is sideways (Six Pack) but I upgraded to the MSD Blaster marine version (potted with epoxy). The car had a standard coil mounted the same way for about 14 years prior to that and it was still working fine.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Kern Dog

I have an MSD Blaster 2. I mounted it horizontally about 3 years ago and have had no problems with it at all.   :2thumbs:

A383Wing

Mine is sideways in the Daytona for a long time now....mounted in the stock "B"-"RB" location....never had any problems

John_Kunkel

Most (if not all) oil-filled coils have the caveat about mounting them horizontal. Conventional wisdom says it's to prevent the oil from leaking out but it's actually about heat; when mounted horizontally there is an air pocket above the oil that exposes the full length of the coil windings, with no cooling oil covering that area the windings can overheat....when mounted vertically the oil completely covers the windings.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

It seems to be hit or miss, many have no problems at all while others seem to have burnt out multiple coils. I guess I'll try it sideways and see. If it dies I'll just have to get the high vibration coil.