News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

repro tic toc tach vs resto of old one

Started by 69RT/Chrgr, January 14, 2016, 08:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69RT/Chrgr

I am getting ready to send my Tic Toc tac out to one of the reputable places, by the time the tach is updated, and the clock in convereted it will between 350 and 450 dollars, and that's without screening the face if it needs to be done. So I was just looking for some input,

I there an advantage to restoring mine compared to buying a repro? I don't know the quality of the repros, and not sure if rebuilding mine or buying a repro is a fair comparison. I have read that there are 2 different vendors for the repros, and not sure of the difference in quality between the 2. I am leaning towards sending mine out this weekend, but just bouncing the question out there. one thing I have decided is I am not going to restore it myself. I really want it screened compared to decals and will have over 250.00 into it myself if I do it myself. and I have plenty of other work to do on the car that I can spend on with what little time I actually get to work on it with my kids activities, work and whatever else come up.

Thanks

I have the Charger Specialties tach and it seems like a nice quality piece. I haven't powered it up yet but I'm happy with the look, fit and feel of it.

http://www.chargerspecialties.com/tachos.htm

rebby

I did a lot of research on this last summer and the overwhelming consensus was to restore an original over obtaining a repro. I had tachman.com do mine and it was well worth it (he actually did the entire cluster).
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

fy469rtse

Aftermarket , I've had a couple now,
And trouble free, unless your doing a concourse car ,

PlainfieldCharger

Charger Specialties here...being working fine for 4000 miles... :2thumbs: Are you going to run electronic ignition? You will need to take that in consideration :2thumbs:

tan top

IMO , if I had an original tic toc tach , & it was not working  ! I would get it rebuilt ,  other wise  get a repop one  , 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Brock Lee

I just wonder how many of the old non-working ones really just need to be cleaned. I read somewhere someone made that case. I had one that didn't work..went through it..sprayed out the contacts, flushed out the old, gummed grease..applied new electrical grease and it works like new.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: tan top on January 31, 2016, 06:37:55 PM
  IMO , if I had an original tic toc tach , & it was not working  ! I would get it rebuilt ,  other wise  get a repop one  , 
Quote from: Brock Lee on January 31, 2016, 07:37:49 PM
I just wonder how many of the old non-working ones really just need to be cleaned. I read somewhere someone made that case. I had one that didn't work..went through it..sprayed out the contacts, flushed out the old, gummed grease..applied new electrical grease and it works like new.

:iagree:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

69wannabe

I had mine rebuilt by redline gaugeworks and it works good. Had some issues when I tried to use a RTR firecore dizzy and I wound up going with a plug and play distributor to keep my tach working correctly but I actually had some voltage issues later and I think that may have been some of the reason my tach went berzerk when I tried running the RTR dizzy. I have seen a few of the repro tach that looked great but didn't seem very accurate so that is why I had mine rebuilt. I had to re-wire my complete charging system but I had already sold the RTR distributor so I didn't get the chance to see if that was the problem or not. I like the fact that the original has a cast housing instead of plastic but if it works good it doesn't make no difference either way.

68pplcharger

I've got after market in mine and it work great

VegasCharger

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on January 31, 2016, 09:24:38 AM
Charger Specialties here...being working fine for 4000 miles... :2thumbs: Are you going to run electronic ignition? You will need to take that in consideration :2thumbs:

I switched my 68 to electronic ignition. I have my OEM tic toc tac that needs rebuilt. Does the switch to elec. ign. interfere with the OEM functions?

Thanks  :cheers:

doctor4766

Quote from: VegasCharger on February 13, 2016, 07:08:33 AM

I switched my 68 to electronic ignition. I have my OEM tic toc tac that needs rebuilt. Does the switch to elec. ign. interfere with the OEM functions?

Yes, good question.
I have an aftermarket tach that doesn't react to rev changes as quickly as it should.
I'm running a MP electronic distributor with the orange box and have the tach wired to the negative on the coil.
I've also tried hooking it up to the coil positive but that gives no signal at all.
Even tried another new aftermarket tach and that one does exactly the same.
Gotta love a '69

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: doctor4766 on March 31, 2016, 08:16:06 PM

Thanks  :cheers:

Yes, good question.
I have an aftermarket tach that doesn't react to rev changes as quickly as it should.
I'm running a MP electronic distributor with the orange box and have the tach wired to the negative on the coil.
I've also tried hooking it up to the coil positive but that gives no signal at all.
Even tried another new aftermarket tach and that one does exactly the same.

Yes, the switch to electronic ignition with an OEM tach requires the addition of a tach adapter to provide the correct signal to the original tach. The Charger Specialties (last time I checked) had an updated circuit board on the back that made them compatible with any ignition system.

tracpack440

I have a charger specialties TTTach in mine. The clock stopped working after about 1 year. The tach needle fell off about 2 years. I had to take it apart and re glue the needle back on. Tach still working
1969 Charger  R/T SE 4 spd dana

charger Downunder

Quote from: tracpack440 on April 09, 2016, 02:22:53 AM
I have a charger specialties TTTach in mine. The clock stopped working after about 1 year. The tach needle fell off about 2 years. I had to take it apart and re glue the needle back on. Tach still working

My clock stopped working as well, charger specialties was no help, so i purchased a quarts clock conversion kit from instrument services just haven't got around to installing it.
[/quote]