News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gutted My Electrical System - Replacement/Upgrade Advise?

Started by 440AirForce, January 17, 2016, 04:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

440AirForce

After spending all day yesterday chasing starting problems on my 318, I found an incredible amount of burned/charred connectors and wires (especially at the bulkhead connectors). So with that in mind, and discovering a huge hatchet job with the dash wiring- I decided to rip everything out. (A good decision because some of the wiring insulation crumbled in my hands). So next I was wondering what to do with replacement/upgrades.

I searched around on this forum, but can't really decide on the best choice. Also, I looked at Ron Francis Wiring, as well as Painless.

1.What ignition system should I go with (going to replace distributor and coil as well). Would like to go keyless, and just a basic/stock option.

2. What should I use for the dash wiring? (I'd like to upgrade dash instruments also, and with an ammeter).

Has anyone out there tackled this- what worked for you?

Thanks,

Dwayne
Whether or not I'm good at English is inimportant!

Pete in NH

Hi,

First question- What year Charger are you working on?

Second question- How comfortable are you with basic automotive wiring and the circuits involved?

Wiring kits like the Painless kit require a fair knowledge of electrical circuits as you will have to adapt the kit to your specific car. You will also need to know about basic wiring fabrication techniques such as crimping on connectors and soldering wires. If you don't feel comfortable with electrical work, a reproduction original wiring harness will be as close to plug and play as you can get. Although they too may require some very minor adaptation.

You'll get a lot of suggestions on ignition systems. For a stock 318 driven on the street I would go with the standard Mopar electronic ignition system. I think they work well, are easy to install and parts are readily available.

comet_666

You can buy brand new stock wiring harnesses for your car. It's just $. But they are plug and play.

www.yearone.com

Rolling_Thunder

if you're not doing anything redical just go to YO and get the replacement harnessed - send the gauge cluster to someone who restores them ie. Redline or other and just have them convert / restore the gauges
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip