News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VIN Question

Started by Tri-Poised, January 22, 2016, 09:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tri-Poised

I have a rather naive question on VIN numbers on a Road Runner vs. a Superbird in 1970. 

Since in 1970, a Plymouth Road Runner was either RM23 or RM21, and only came with a 383, 440 6bbl, or Hemi, would it not be true that any VIN number beginning with RM23U... would have to be a Superbird? Is that not the only way a RM23 car would have a U code, or 440 4 bbl?

Thanks.

Aero426

A GTX can also have the same VIN code.     So no, the U code by itself is not a determining factor.

Tri-Poised

Hemi_tyme

Quote from: Tri-Poised on January 22, 2016, 09:35:47 AM
I have a rather naive question on VIN numbers on a Road Runner vs. a Superbird in 1970. 

Since in 1970, a Plymouth Road Runner was either RM23 or RM21, and only came with a 383, 440 6bbl, or Hemi, would it not be true that any VIN number beginning with RM23U... would have to be a Superbird? Is that not the only way a RM23 car would have a U code, or 440 4 bbl?

Thanks.
Yes
RM23U would be a Superbird only
RS23U would be a GTX

hemi68charger

Yes, a 70 GTX would have RS as the first two digits....... if you EVER see a RM with a U for engine, you have a Superbird, period....... now, an RM with a V or R for the engine code is another story........

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

wyliemn71

RM- road runner   RS- GTX

Arnie Cunningham

In 1970, yes, U code RM23 cars would have to be a Superbird.  (Unless the VIN was mistakenly stamped which did occasionally happen.)
The only other RM U code combinations I know of came in later years - couldn't you get a U code Road Runner in 1974 or so?  (about the same time the GTX became an option package on the Road Runner.)
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on January 22, 2016, 01:48:22 PM
...- couldn't you get a U code Road Runner in 1974 or so?  (about the same time the GTX became an option package on the Road Runner.)

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

bannedbird

I have seen (2) RM23U0 cars that were not Superbirds (no A13 code and J number not a Bird). I have at least one of the full VIN and tag info.  I have to dig them up... was 1980's pictures.
I was told a few days ago that a U code roadrunner recently sold and was documented.  Anyone have info on that car?

Please don't forget: They used to say Scary Larry's V code 72 roadrunner didn't exist ("they never made 6-packs in 1972").  And no "root beer" colored Superbirds.
- Superbird Steve - Chicago
1970 A13 E86 D32 B5 H2XW w/GIII, ITB, 6L85

hemigeno

Galen's Little White Book shows at least one known example of a RM23U0A 'Runner (i.e. non-Superbird;  Galen noted it had a 440-4/auto), and my edition was printed back in 2001.  That's the exception which proves the rule, I suppose.  

By now more examples than just that one may certainly have been unearthed... but generally-speaking, RM23U0 = Superbird

Moparpoolman

There could be a couple of GTXs out there that got mis-stamped RM instead of RS... :shruggy:

moparstuart

there was a thread on Forbbodiesonly that had a well documented  u code 70 Road Runner  ,  it looked legit   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE