News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rat muscle "daisy" build

Started by cbrestorations, January 25, 2016, 03:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegasCharger

Can I rent that dash jig when you're done with it?

Nice progress Chris :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

cbrestorations

rent...hell just borrow it lol

VegasCharger

cbrestorations

got my new radiator in, assembled my new taylor wires, removed the front glass, removed the dash and removed the a/c box. im going to add a tic toc tac and convert the ammeter to voltmeter. plus i wanna go thru the dash and clea out all the rat nest.

WHITE AND RED 69

That's one clean looking engine! Great work!
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

cbrestorations

the ammeter in daisy was fried and had the normal bypass done, i wanted to put a voltmeter in it but keep it stock appearing and not wanting to spend alot on sending it out and having it converted i just decided to rob the electrical out of an old autometer gauge and use the face and needle from the mopar ammeter. i combined the 2 and boom...cheap ass volt gauge lol. its bolts right in the stock mounting position. it would probly be easier next time to use a cheapo autozone special volt gauge

Challenger340

Congrats, you look to be doing a fine job  :2thumbs:
that said....

HUH ?
11:1 Forged "Flat Top" Pistons ?
In a 440 ?
With 88 CC "346" Head castings ?

Excuse me for saying so..... not trying to rain on your efforts, but there is No such thing as an "11.:1" Forged Flat Top Piston for a 440 using "346" open chamber heads.
From the earlier pictures you posted, those Pistons look to be the FM L2266 pistons(by the pin bosses anyways as they were upside down), which if they are, are more like 8.6:1 with a composition style head gasket.
just say'in....
you may wish to re-evaluate your performance expectations ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

cbrestorations

Ok.... so its 10:1. 4.350 piston, 3.75 stroke, 82cc chamber, -.060 in the hole, flat top piston,  .022 head hasket. Punch that in any compression calculator...I mistaken 78cc as that was the head I was going to use. Happy now...  :pity: when my aluminum heads come off the tug boat from china they will make it 11:1 being 78cc and milling them down .050"

cbrestorations

Plus you assumed wrong thinking my pistons were that part number by being .160 in the hole. They are not...they are .060

Challenger340

Quote from: cbrestorations on April 04, 2016, 01:27:26 AM
Plus you assumed wrong thinking my pistons were that part number by being .160 in the hole. They are not...they are .060

No, the L2266F (if that's what you have) is a 1.99 C.D., or about .090" downhole, so good to hear your block has been milled down and yours are only .060", and also good to hear your 346 castings have been milled down substantially to the 82 CC mark, as most are 88-90 CC's.
The problem with using ANY C.R. Calculator for a BB Mopar is the Head Gaskets are NOT round, making the Calculators only close.

'Nuff said....
I have obviously hit a nerve here, so please accept my apologies.
It was NOT my intent. I merely wished to provide clarity regarding performance expectations, given it seems you are also planning aluminum heads.
If you indeed have the L2266F Pistons ?
you may wish to peruse the following link, as these are pretty accurate C.R.'s for the various CC's.

JEGS Part Number: 844-L2266F30

440ci Stock-Type Piston, .030'' Overbore
Piston Dia.: 4.350''
Piston Top: Flat Top
Pressed Pin
Comp Ratio: 9.33:1 w/78.5cc Heads, 8.66:1 w/88cc Heads
Ring Grooves: 5/64'', 5/64'', 3/16''
Sold as Each
Fits Applications:
1966-1978CHRYSLER1966-1979DODGE1966-1978PLYMOUTH
Click to see All

Challenger340

Quote from: cbrestorations on April 04, 2016, 12:55:23 AM
Ok.... so its 10:1. 4.350 piston, 3.75 stroke, 82cc chamber, -.060 in the hole, flat top piston,  .022 head hasket. Punch that in any compression calculator...I mistaken 78cc as that was the head I was going to use. Happy now...  :pity: when my aluminum heads come off the tug boat from china they will make it 11:1 being 78cc and milling them down .050"

Again, NOT trying to rain here..... only offered as assistance, for your consideration
but if your plans include 11:1 C.R. by milling the chinese aluminum heads .050" ?  Remember, the Pistons are still .060" down hole @ TDC, with another minimum .020"(steel shim) head gasket..... meaning you are still .080" "quench" ?
91 Octane Pump Premium fuel, may NOT like 11:1 with an .080" quench distance ? depending upon elevation/Camshaft/Trq Convertor selection ?

Got nothing to do with making me happy ?   Just trying to prevent you from potentially being UN-happy ?  :pity:

cbrestorations

yes they were both taken down a tad bit, intake had to be machined to fit properly. the short block is how i bought it, only paid $300 for it off craigslist. ive run 11:1 with 12lbs of boost before on the streets with 91 octane. made 748hp to the tire on a 377ci engine. also 11.5:1 on another one with no boost, all that had to be done was timing and what helped alot was thermal coating the pistons, combustion chambers, valves and exhaust runners. this worked great on the racecar except that the hotter exhaust burned and melted the quarter panel  :lol: most newer vehicles are running over 10:1 some even over 11:1 the prius being one of them.

Challenger340

Quote from: cbrestorations on April 04, 2016, 09:53:22 AM
yes they were both taken down a tad bit, intake had to be machined to fit properly. the short block is how i bought it, only paid $300 for it off craigslist. ive run 11:1 with 12lbs of boost before on the streets with 91 octane. made 748hp to the tire on a 377ci engine. also 11.5:1 on another one with no boost, all that had to be done was timing and what helped alot was thermal coating the pistons, combustion chambers, valves and exhaust runners. this worked great on the racecar except that the hotter exhaust burned and melted the quarter panel  :lol: most newer vehicles are running over 10:1 some even over 11:1 the prius being one of them.

Good for you then, keep up the good work :2thumbs:

cbrestorations

since im on the floor now i might aswell just spend the coin and do the 6 speed swap now so i can modify the trans tunnel. in trying to shed some weight off it and clean it up im going to use one of my old wilwood reverse mount swinging pedal assemblies and tuck it under the dash so there will be no master cylinder under the hood, just 3 small reservoirs. gonna try and make it all bolt in deal. ive got the six speed, just gotta buy the conversion bellhousing and clutch setup now. so much for driving it in the next month lol. oh ive gotta cut the tri-y section of the headers apart and reshape it so it goes thru the crossmember better too.

Finn

Quote from: cbrestorations on January 25, 2016, 03:43:47 PM
now these are all rough plans that may get altered lol, i have alot on my plate right now but ide love to have DAISY at the spring fling

Sounds like a good plan! Id love to see it there :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

fy469rtse

Great build , great work,
Don't ever stop putting in your two cents worth Charlie,
More than once or twice during my build , you made me think outside the box , and also consider areas that I assumed I wouldn't have issues,
Always welcome advice from members on here , good bad , or indifferent, that's why I'm on here,
My chargers an animal and behaves it self when required because of the help on here  :2thumbs:

lukedukem

i saw where you rebuilt the back brakes, what are you gonna do up front? stick with stock

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

cbrestorations

I put a rebuilt set of 75 charger disc brakes up front but it's all coming off now, those brakes were to just try and make the Vegas show. Now it's going wildwood front and rear.

cbrestorations

Made a patch for the passenger side floor, that was the only rust spot. Was tricky to made with all the multiple angles and radius bends. Also cut the tri-y section of the headers apart and reshaped them to fit thru the torsion support.

Lennard

VegasCharger

lukedukem

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

VegasCharger

Quote from: lukedukem on April 28, 2016, 06:09:13 PM
Updates

:popcrn:

Luke

He's in Texas right now looking at more 2nd gen Chargers.  :cheers: