News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Some day it will be a green F6 Daytona clone

Started by 70 sublime, February 10, 2016, 08:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

Well it has officially started
My next project
This thread will be more of a diary than a how to with just stuff I come across along the way
The car is now in the shop to start working on (you can still see the snow on the tires )
Pictures of where I am starting from and where I would like to end up(at least it is going to be green)

In the end that pointy nose is going to cost me some big $$ because as soon as I add it to the front of the car it will no longer fit in my garage
When I had my 70 Charger in the garage I only had about 6" in front and 6" behind to shut the garage door
When that time comes I will either build a new parking spot on the end of the house or a new garage out behind the house

So my first goal will be to just get it road certified as a plain 69 Charger with no wing and no nose without doing anything more than I have to to the body  
Just do what is needed new brakes, tires , exhaust, seats .....
Lots to do with no real dead line
One thing I have learned working on cars is it never goes faster than you hope and usually costs you more than you thought by the time you are done
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

70 sublime

I got this car last summer
It was driven from the west coast to Ohio where it was parked in a shed for about 25 years

The car was born with a 383 but now has a 400 in it when driven cross country

I tinkered with the car a bit after it arrived
The motor was not stuck but I could not get it to turn all the way over by hand
Ended up pulling one head off and found a valve had broken off the stem and just sitting on top of the piston
I had some spare parts around and just put another valve back in the head and bolted things back together to see if it would run

Just jumping some wires under the hood I got it to fire and keep running and that was as far as I had gotten

So now the real fun begins  :2thumbs:

billssuperbird

I know how you feel I have to push mine by hand so I don't hit the wall in the back and I only have less then 12 inches between the door and the front of the car :eek2:

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

djcarguy

saw a rear pic somewhere??   do you have needed 70 nose an what cone you planning to get,use??

i got a bird nose from Don C1 ,an he has molds for daytona parts now.  have fun an post away. Dj ,usa  :popcrn: :popcrn: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn:

69 DAYTONA

...I once owned an F6 / wh-int / blk wing Daytona...440 4-spd, 10 k original mile car...all my friends called it "Monkey Puke Green"...I didn't like it then, like it better now...anxious to see it finished

Baldwinvette77

Nice, but this seems like step backwards, you just sold a green 70, which all you needed was a wing, a nose and a window plug, now you need a 70 front end, and a restoration  :lol: still cool though  :popcrn:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

djcarguy

Rear view over at             what have you done with ya charger lately        p.83  reply 2055 .

is that fender an tire next ta ya tona project ,a trailer or rod???     DJ  :popcrn: :drool5: :popcrn: :2thumbs:

70 sublime

Quote from: djcarguy on February 13, 2016, 07:02:34 AM

is that fender an tire next ta ya tona project ,a trailer or rod???     DJ  :popcrn: :drool5: :popcrn: :2thumbs:

I am sharing shop space with dad (he will be 75 years old this summer)
His project toy  ;)
30 Chrysler rumble seat 6 wheeler coupe
It was someones 1/2 built project when dad got it
At one time there was a 426 hemi in it but the guy needed cash so sold the motor out of it
The car also had a Volarie front suspension in it but it did not work very well to get the rad and front corners of the fenders to clear all the parts
So that got pulled out and a rod shop Mustang II set up is in it now
We have had this 366 GMC truck motor around for years  (all balanced and blue printed) looking for a home so he put it in the coupe
Auto 4 spd with over drive
Car still has a brand new Dana in it with 411 gears (car is stupid fast around the yard)

70 sublime

Every one likes pictures so I got the car jacked up and took a few of the under side of what I am starting with

70 sublime

more

70 sublime

bottom of 1/4 and bottom of rocker panel

70 sublime

Nice clean floor and door sill

70 sublime

The car has a vinyl top that I was told the dealership added
The seams are wider apart than a regular Charger roof and come down the back corners where the roof starts to curve and not where it is straight across the back window
The chrome J trim does not look like the factory stuff
Car is nice in the bottom glass corners

Only rust I can find under the vinyl is seen in the picture right along the very back edge along

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: 70 sublime on February 13, 2016, 10:50:52 AM
Every one likes pictures so I got the car jacked up and took a few of the under side of what I am starting with

Not me, i hate pictures  :slap: , Considering how busy you are with the farm, maybe by the time you are done people will be able to telepathically transfer video feeds.  :scratchchin: 

70 sublime

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on February 13, 2016, 06:01:51 PM

Not me, i hate pictures  :slap: , Considering how busy you are with the farm, maybe by the time you are done people will be able to telepathically transfer video feeds.  :scratchchin: 

And how long have you been working on that thing you are building ???

I think I have a good chance of driving this car on the road looking like a Charger in less time than you have taken to drive yours LEGALLY on the road  :nana:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: 70 sublime on February 13, 2016, 06:08:38 PM
Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on February 13, 2016, 06:01:51 PM

And how long have you been working on that thing you are building ???

I think I have a good chance of driving this car on the road looking like a Charger in less time than you have taken to drive yours LEGALLY on the road  :nana:

Now that just hurts, how dare you assume my car is both a danger to public roads AND unfit for the aforementioned public roads.  :slap:

70 sublime

Did a little work on the car today
Finally got all 4 wheels off the car and matched set of 4 that hold air on the car
Turns out 3 of the wheels have right hand threads and only one (drivers back) is left hand thread
Back wheels came off fine but had to use the blow torch to warm things up to get the front apart

So for my next project I want to get the car running off the key

Does anyone have a good wiring schematic for the 69 that I could print off and take to the shop with me as I will have some sorting out to do of the wires

As for the Daytona master plan

Car will first drive around like a 69 Charger (on the road legal)

Then will come the wing that I have but I still need the stuff for in the trunk
Then the rear window and trunk lid mod
Then the nose

Stuff I have
Wing
Trunk lid to cut down (I have been saving one for years that looks like it was on a car left open and rotted out on the edge closest to car back window)
73 Charger filler panel (trunk lid to back window)
70 Charger hood

I also have a complete 68 Coronet grill that I am thinking about putting on the car (like the 500) till I take the last leap and change the nose when I have indoor garage space sorted out

Stuff I need

Wing washers
Inside trunk braces (home made if I can find some good pictures and dimensions)
Daytona trunk lid hinges
Trunk lid cap
Vega hatch (I have a local guy looking for one for me)
70 Charger fenders
Fender scoops
All the stuff for the nose

Feel free to point out anything I may have missed

Baldwinvette77

+ i think they also had special windshield trim on the sides  :scratchchin:

get you some of those too!

hemi68charger

Quote from: 70 sublime on February 13, 2016, 11:01:00 AM

Only rust I can find under the vinyl is seen in the picture right along the very back edge along

Make sure you check inside, under those panels from the interior trunk side.. That's where a large majority of the rust starts since it was never coated in a primer since the dipping process didn't get that high...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

70 sublime

Time seems to be one of my biggest problems and finding enough of it to do what I want on this car

Well I got the 400 to run off the key from the driver seat
The car has a manual choke set up (had to replace the old one as the cable was all seized up)
Motor is not very happy from its long sleep as it is doing a lot of back firing up through the carb
I think the valves are sticking
So now there is more stuff to come apart

My car is a 383 car and I have a 383 that is all torn apart (apart when I got it so who knows where all the bolts are)
I priced out a rebuild kit cough cough cough
The Canada US exchange rate has not been kind to us up here looking for new parts
Well maybe rebuilding the 383 at this time is not a good plan either

So snooping through the local classifieds on line (kijiji) I found a solution for the time being

I bought this car for less than the 383 rebuild kit was going to cost me

1971 Newport with the original 383 still in it
I looked at this car in the fall in the back parking lot at a Dodge dealership as all car guys do when you see something  :2thumbs:
It was one of the mechanics cars as he had no room at home
So when I saw it listed I knew I had seen it before and knew where it was sitting

Went to see it and hear it run
Ran like a top
So we came to a deal and he drove it 50 km to my house yesterday

Hope to have the 400 out of the Charger by the weekend then pull the 383 out put new frost plugs and maybe timing chain then back in the Charger

70 sublime

Will the exhaust manifold clear the steering on the Charger ?

70 sublime

Well got the old tired motor out and the Newport 383 in the car
Just a couple more things to hook up to get it running and moving around on its own power again

That stupid wing on the back of the car
I think I have lost count how many times getting something out of the trunk and then standing up under the wing  :brickwall:
You thought hitting your head on the hood latch was no fun now I get it at both ends of the car