News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ignition switch with Ron francis 24/7 problems

Started by frank1966, February 20, 2016, 09:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete in NH

Quote from: frank1966 on February 25, 2016, 10:41:33 AM
From what understand the switch connects the batt feed to the other leads. Then these leads feed sources. Since I do not have any original harnesses I don't see why tying ING 1 and together at the switch. They should be feeding something like coil and fuse box. I think ign 1 should feed my fuse box and ign 2 should feed my coil. Sound correct?

No, not correct. ING-1 is only powered in the run position of your ignition switch and ING-2 is only powered when cranking the engine. This is why with an MSD system you need to tie the two together, so the MSD system and coil have power during both normal run and when cranking the engine.

Exactly which MSD system do you have? I'll try to look it up and go from there. 

frank1966

Iam talking about the leads directly from the ign switch since I do not have any bulkheads or any original wiring. It doesn't make sense to me to tie those together to the one ign lead that goes to the fuse box of ron francis kit. I have another lead from the box to the coil - I think that is the lead to supply constant 12v to the coil. Tying ign 1 and 2 to this lead to the box seems wrong. Ron francis techs are not sure either. Tying them together to that lead didn't work, the car cranked well, but didn't fire.

Pete in NH

Okay, I think the only way I'm going to be able to make any sense out of all this is to know exactly which MSD system you are trying to hook up.

frank1966

Iam using MSD ready to run 8388. So It turns out I needed to use a diode lead from the start side of the starter relay to the POS side of the coil.
From the IGN switch I attached IGN 1 to the IGN lead from the fuse box, then connected the coil feed from the box. Fired up no problem!

It did not make a difference if I tied IGN 1 and 2 together to the IGN lead from the box. I don't get it. I also tried running IGN 2 straight to the coil without using the diode lead, did not start - no charge at the coil.

If IGN 2 is hot during start why would it not ignite the coil when I had it connected directly? Maybe there is something wrong in my new aftermarket switch?

Pete in NH

Good to hear you got it running!

The diode lead from the starter relay to the coil is taking the place of the IGN-2 connection, which is why its working.

frank1966

I tested the leads from the ign switch, the reason why IGN 2 does not fire the coil because its only putting out 10 volts. Either something is wrong with the switch or its supposed to be that way, but it should not since IGN 2 is a bypass of the ballast to deliver 12V during start up. all other leads from the switch are correct.