News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Adding power wires for multiple modules

Started by Dino, February 20, 2016, 09:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I'm currently installing some mod con's on the car; I just finished installing two power window modules that each operate two windows remotely and with a one touch feature. This week I'll be installing an alarm system with a remote starter.  I think I have about five wires that need to see 12 volts fused so I think it would be best to get an extension bolt for the positive battery terminal and bolt them onto that.

My question is, do I need to run five separate 10 awg wires into the car or could I run a single fused wire to power all of them?

If anyone has any experience with alarms and remote starters, I could use some help figuring all this stuff out. I understand most of it...and get a slight headache from the rest of it.   :lol:

The units I'm installing are made by DEI: two 530Ts for the windows, and an Avital 5303 for the alarm and remote starter. I also installed door lock actuators and a power trunk lock.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Pete in NH

Hi Dino,

I would favor running separate wires each with its own fuse to individual modules. I say this for two reasons, one if its all on one wire and fuse if something fails and blows the fuse you loose everything and two, multiple wire runs will minimize voltage drops to things that take a lot of current like the power window motors.

On connecting things directly to the battery positive post, I would think you would want to do that for the remote starter and alarm system but I would think the power windows would be better on a relay circuit with the relay energized only with the ignition key on. Unless, you want the windows available all the time car running or not.

Dino

Thanks Pete that makes sense.   :cheers:

Yes I do want power to the windows at all times because then I'll be able to vent or roll them down remotely and they will automatically roll up when I lock the car.

cdr

Quote from: Pete in NH on February 21, 2016, 10:42:47 AM
Hi Dino,

I would favor running separate wires each with its own fuse to individual modules. I say this for two reasons, one if its all on one wire and fuse if something fails and blows the fuse you loose everything and two, multiple wire runs will minimize voltage drops to things that take a lot of current like the power window motors.

On connecting things directly to the battery positive post, I would think you would want to do that for the remote starter and alarm system but I would think the power windows would be better on a relay circuit with the relay energized only with the ignition key on. Unless, you want the windows available all the time car running or not.

:iagree:

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

c00nhunterjoe

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/aww-500383

Cheap and will do everything you want in a clean and organized fashion.

Rolling_Thunder

Exactly what I would do -  small aux fuse block and call it a day
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Dino

Yeah that's the way to go! I'll run a thick gauge wire from the battery to a fuse block and run my 10 gauge wires from there. I may need something a little stronger, I don't know yet. It looks like I'll be running 4 power wires, maybe 5, so I'll be over a total of the 80 amp capacity.

A 6 capacity fuse box should do it, it'll give me one or two spares for any future additions.