News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Edlebrock RPM top end kit on a 440

Started by 70mopar500, February 22, 2016, 07:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

The others can speak more to merits of Stealths and Edelbrock heads.  I think the issue really is that your power goals can be achieved without the very high lift. So it may not matter. My engine has 450 CI and approximately 0.510 lift and unported edelbrock heads came in above 500 HP/TQ.  It also runs out at 5400 as Challenger340 pointed out above, but for me that is fine.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

BSB67

Ok, you have nothing.  I'll assume this means no exhaust system at all, oil pan, windage tray, water pump, w/p housing, valve covers, air cleaner, ignition system, pulleys, fan........  And there is probably $1,000 in misc stuff (paint, filters, oil, plugs, hoses, belts, sealants, fasteners.......).  So we have not even started talking about the motor and making power but have spent $3,000.  Is this stuff in your $5,000 budget?

So, If I wanted to make 500 hp with as few $ as possible but still have decent enough stuff but less than "perfect" motor, I would do the following:

1) Sidewinder heads w/ quality comp. valve grind
2) Rebuild short block with a 2.06" ish CD piston and zero deck.  Balance
3) Small/medium solid cam like the XE 282
4) 1.6 rockers, 5/16 PR, grind intake runner as needed for clearance
5) Used Holley SD
6) Used Holley 4781 - rebuild
7) low buck 1 3/4" headers
8.  Used $5 oil pump.  Put in a high pressure spring

You're still probably over $5,000. Maybe not.  I would not mess with the mains, and use every bolt that you already have.  If you have non-adjustable rockers already, use a big hydraulic and skip the adjustable rockers.  To save a few more $, use Speed Pro 2355 pistons and factory rods and don't balance.  Just put new bolts in, and maybe use 0.001" under size rod bearings, maybe only one undersize shell per rod.  Rebuild a factory balancer.  Unless the crank is "bad" polish it on the bench with emery cloth and go.   Stock oil pan and single groove mains.

This motor can put a typical B Body into the 11s at 115+ mph.

Today, 99% of the people would recommend against these recommendations.  Back in the 1970's, this is what 99% of the people did, including me, more than once.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

70mopar500

Quote from: BSB67 on March 14, 2016, 06:46:21 PM
Ok, you have nothing.  I'll assume this means no exhaust system at all, oil pan, windage tray, water pump, w/p housing, valve covers, air cleaner, ignition system, pulleys, fan........  And there is probably $1,000 in misc stuff (paint, filters, oil, plugs, hoses, belts, sealants, fasteners.......).  So we have not even started talking about the motor and making power but have spent $3,000.  Is this stuff in your $5,000 budget?

So, If I wanted to make 500 hp with as few $ as possible but still have decent enough stuff but less than "perfect" motor, I would do the following:

1) Sidewinder heads w/ quality comp. valve grind
2) Rebuild short block with a 2.06" ish CD piston and zero deck.  Balance
3) Small/medium solid cam like the XE 282
4) 1.6 rockers, 5/16 PR, grind intake runner as needed for clearance
5) Used Holley SD
6) Used Holley 4781 - rebuild
7) low buck 1 3/4" headers
8.  Used $5 oil pump.  Put in a high pressure spring

You're still probably over $5,000. Maybe not.  I would not mess with the mains, and use every bolt that you already have.  If you have non-adjustable rockers already, use a big hydraulic and skip the adjustable rockers.  To save a few more $, use Speed Pro 2355 pistons and factory rods and don't balance.  Just put new bolts in, and maybe use 0.001" under size rod bearings, maybe only one undersize shell per rod.  Rebuild a factory balancer.  Unless the crank is "bad" polish it on the bench with emery cloth and go.   Stock oil pan and single groove mains.

This motor can put a typical B Body into the 11s at 115+ mph.

Today, 99% of the people would recommend against these recommendations.  Back in the 1970's, this is what 99% of the people did, including me, more than once.

Thanks for the recommendations, I very much appreciate everyone's help. So much to process  :faint:
Rich 70 charger 500 440.  07 Ram Quad cab 1500 5.7 HEMI, 80 Camaro RS 350

firefighter3931

It's important to match the cam with the converter stall speed and rear end gearing. Failure to do so will produce disasterous results.

What tq converter and rear gear/tire diameter do you plan to run in this car ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

70mopar500

15 /295/50s on the rear and 323 rear gearing with a 4 speed manual maybe a 5

firefighter3931

With the 3.23's you don't want to go too big on the duration. The 4spd will help as it has an "adjustable" stall speed.  :icon_smile_cool:

Does the car have a power brake booster ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

70mopar500

Yes it does, and I would like to keep it.  My 323 is not a sure grip. I was looking to get one so going to a little lower of a gear is possible. As I'm going down this road I am leaning towards the cam you suggested, the voodoo cam bill440rt used. I think the biggest savings I am looking for is in the heads. But if 1k is going to make or break the build. I'll than take longer to finish.I just thought I could get the same power out of the stealth or sidewinder heads. Rich

1974dodgecharger

gotta love the 4speed as firefighter has said has its own, 'stall speed' lmao....

having a 509 cam is tough as is on the street with a 3.23 gearing....

firefighter3931

Quote from: 70mopar500 on March 15, 2016, 03:56:17 PM
Yes it does, and I would like to keep it.  My 323 is not a sure grip. I was looking to get one so going to a little lower of a gear is possible. As I'm going down this road I am leaning towards the cam you suggested, the voodoo cam bill440rt used. I think the biggest savings I am looking for is in the heads. But if 1k is going to make or break the build. I'll than take longer to finish.I just thought I could get the same power out of the stealth or sidewinder heads. Rich

The VooDoo cam is a good match and will work fine with Power brakes.  :2thumbs:

The Sidewinder heads are good and can make excellent power with a little massaging. I would order the Sidewinders and have them shipped to Dwayne @ Porter Racing Heads for a mild port and quality valvejob. He will know how to massage them in the right area to increase flow to match your cam profile. The sidewinders come with just valves and Dwayne can pick out a valvespring and retainer to match the cam so you'll receive a head that is customized to your build.  :yesnod:

The heads are the big player in any engine combination and getting that right will make or break the build. It pays to get this right !  ;)

Ron

70mopar500

I finally got my motor running. I went with the sidewinder heads, Mancini roller rockers CH4B INTAKE, 800cfm Thunder series edlbrock carb and a fire core distributor. Here is the video

https://youtu.be/KaqV4jl510E

303 Mopar

1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

firefighter3931

Well done Rich !  :2thumbs:

Did you end up using the Lunati Cam....can't remember ?  :scratchchin:

Now it's time to start tuning the beast !  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

70mopar500

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 19, 2017, 11:15:04 AM

Ron

Yes, it the Lunati vudoo cam 😁

Back N Black

Cool video, I think that was the highlight of my build was the first start up. You have the same look on your face. :cheers:

firefighter3931

Quote from: 70mopar500 on November 19, 2017, 01:38:04 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 19, 2017, 11:15:04 AM

Ron

Yes, it the Lunati vudoo cam 😁

Awesome....it's going to be a BLAST to drive !  :icon_smile_cool:  :cheers:

Looking forward to some in-car vid clips  :apimp:

Ron

Harper

good info in here, thanks all for sharing.
70mopar500,
that thing is awesome sounding! is the cam flat tappet or roller?

I am thinking of running this with my combo

QuoteLunati's Voodoo series of camshafts deliver more area under the curve than any other series of camshafts. This means more throttle response, quicker acceleration, more vacuum and better efficiency. These factors, combined with maximum horsepower and torque, make Voodoo camshafts the perfect choice for a wide range of high performance applications.Solid Roller Cam. Good high performance street cam with good mid range torque and HP. Works well in 383-400 c.i. motors. Needs 2500 RPM stall converter or 4/5-speed trans- mission, headers, 9:1+ compression ratio and 3.73+ gearing. Lopey idle.
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 261/267
    Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 231/237
    Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .555/.566
    LSA/ICL: 110/106
    Valve Lash (Int/Exh): .016/.016
    RPM Range: 2500-6400
    Includes: Cam & Lifters (#72421-16)
Part Number: 40230730LK
Previous Part Number: 60330LK
Jobber Price: $685.20

although reading the article from hot rod magazine on the Indy heads (PN 295 EZ) they made 632 hp at 6000 rpm and 560 ft lbs or torque @6000 with a 850 demon carb.
There are so many different combinations its not even funny.
likethey said above it all has to be matched to get the best performance. Sometimes the cool factor of the lope is the winning combo tho, most ppl like the sound of a good cam 

if you dont mind please post up a few pics of the engine :)
1968 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (GL Clone)
1951 F1 Ford 302 EFI, Automatic
1965 F100 Ford Straight 6, 3 speed on column (all original)