News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ignition 1, ignition 2

Started by Dino, February 22, 2016, 05:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Okay so I'm trying to map out where these dozens of wires from the alarm and remote starter go. I have power wires for ignition 1 and ignition 2...do 2nd gens have an ignition 2 because I don't even know what the heck that is?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

b5blue

Ignition 1 gives full 12V to coil for cranking (start) to get things going. #2 feeds the ignition resistor so you don't bake the coil running full 12V.  :2thumbs:

tan top

have a look here  ,  brown from  ignition switch  via  Q terminal on the fire wall block connector . light  blue with white tracer from ignition switch  / think it changes to a solid light blue before resistor :-\  vie  terminal N on the fire wall block connector .

i'm always forgetting  what  color is ignition 1 & 2  :slap:  think always thought   ignition 1  run is  blue (N) & ignition 2  start is  Brown ( Q)  :scratchchin: :shruggy:

dark blue from ballast to  plus side of the coil
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Dino

Ah okay that makes sense.  :2thumbs:

Now, since I'm running the Firecore RTR system I no longer have a ballast resistor and the blue and brown wires are tied together. So does that mean in essence that I no longer have ignition 2?

frank1966

that's what it sounds like to me, IGN 2 is only for the ballast.

XH29N0G

Double check, because I suspect they get power from each at different key positions so it depends how you modify as to whether it will work.  My understanding is that one works when the key is in the crank position and one works when the key is in the run position.  If you disconnect one of them, you will lose power in one of those positions.  Someone else will know the real answer.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Dino

Here's the wiring instructions just for the remote starter, which is the one related to ignition. Let's see if this makes sense:

H/1 and H/2 are going to the same wire, from ignition to starter so I think that's the yellow wire on my car. I cut the yellow wire and attach the purple to the end going to the starter relay, and I attach the green to the end going to the ignition.

H/3 I'm not sure about. Obviously one of the two power wires needs connecting but I'm not sure about the other. I don't plan on attaching it to the ignition switch feed though but rather will run it to the battery, fused.

H/4 is for climate control but since ours are vacuum operated that's not going to work so I'm not using it.

H/5 goes to the ignition wire so since I have tied blue and brown together I guess I'm splicing into that one somehow?

H/6 and H/7 are for ignition 2 so I think I can just leave those off.  Thoughts?

H/1 PURPLE
(+) STARTER OUTPUT
After cutting the starter wire connect the PURPLE wire to the end going to the starter motor.

H/2 GREEN
STARTER INPUT
After cutting the starter wire connect the GREEN wire to the end going to the key side of the ignition.

H/3 RED (2)
(+) 12V INPUT FOR HIGH CURRENT OUTPUTS
Remove the two 30-amp fuses prior to connecting these wires and do not replace them until the satellite has been plugged into the control module. These wires are the source of current for pink ignition, orange accessory, purple starter, and the coils for the relays in the relay pack. They must be connected to a high current source. Since the factory supplies (+)12V to the key switch that is used to operate the motor, it is recommended that these wires be connected there.
Note: If the factory supplies two separate (+) 12V feeds to the ignition switch, connect one RED wire of the satellite to each feed at the switch.

H/4 ORANGE
(+) ACCESSORY OUTPUT
Connect this wire to the accessory wire in the vehicle which powers the climate control system.

H/5 PINK
(+) IGNITION OUTPUT
Connect this wire to the ignition wire in the vehicle.

H/6 PINK/WHITE
(+) SECOND IGNITION ACCESSORY OUTPUT
Connect this wire to the second ignition/accessory wire in the vehicle. (See menu feature 2-9.)
Note: For vehicles that do not have a second ignition/accessory wire, this connection is not required.

H/7 RED/WHITE
(+) 12V INPUT
Connect this wire to a +12V source. It supplies voltage to the pink/white 2nd ignition/accessory output. If the vehicle does not have a 2nd ignition/accessory, then this wire does not need to be connected.

frank1966

Quote from: XH29N0G on February 22, 2016, 08:28:08 PM
Double check, because I suspect they get power from each at different key positions so it depends how you modify as to whether it will work.  My understanding is that one works when the key is in the crank position and one works when the key is in the run position.  If you disconnect one of them, you will lose power in one of those positions.  Someone else will know the real answer.

I tried using each of them, blue wire only cranks very well but not firing. When I use the brown wire it cranks, acts like its running when I hold the key all the way. Once I start to let go of the key, the crank sound comes back. I have no other feeds to these wires, just one wire from the fuse box (ron francis kit).

XH29N0G

On my car, there are two wires coming from the key.  I do not believe I have a Ron Francis kit so don't know enough about the specifics.  These two wires go through the bulkhead and then are tied together at the ballast resistor because I am running an MSD 6AL coil and apparently do not need to separate them or run the ballast resistor.  I am guessing they could be tied together anywhere, but that in order to have it run with the key, that I would need both connected up to the key and then to the ignition.  I do not know if I have explained this well and really know that there are others on this forum that can answer the questions raised by you and Dino much better than I can. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

b5blue

I put 1 & 2 together just after the switch to feed a relay (40amp) under the hood for my RTR. The switch turns on the relay and the relay feeds the RTR. I tapped ALT. output (black) to supply feed voltage to the relay. A parallel relay also feeds my electric choke likewise. (All inline fused.)
  Whatever ya do check voltage at the coil, you should have 13.5 average or your loosing spark intensity. (For RTR system.) 

cdr

Quote from: b5blue on February 23, 2016, 07:24:56 AM
  I put 1 & 2 together just after the switch to feed a relay (40amp) under the hood for my RTR. The switch turns on the relay and the relay feeds the RTR. I tapped ALT. output (black) to supply feed voltage to the relay. A parallel relay also feeds my electric choke likewise. (All inline fused.)
  Whatever ya do check voltage at the coil, you should have 13.5 average or your loosing spark intensity. (For RTR system.) 

done the same except no choke on mine. 
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dino

Rereading the wiring instructions again it says connect wire H/6 to ignition 2 or accessory. One click to the left or right on the ignition switch is accessory right? Should it go there? I'm just not seeing the purpose of this wire.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

John_Kunkel

The thing that makes the Mopar ignition wiring incompatible with some aftermarket wiring kits is the fact that IGN 1 and IGN 2 are never powered at the same time in any switch position.

IOW, IGN1 (factory blue wire) is powered only with the switch in the RUN position but shuts off in START and IGN 2 (factory brown wire) is powered only in the START position but shuts off in RUN.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

frank1966

Quote from: b5blue on February 23, 2016, 07:24:56 AM
Why do you need another relay?

b5blue

It's called power distribution or shedding. By supplying from Alt. output with twin leads feeding both ignition and choke I've A: reduced how far the current travels and B: increased the load capacity of both circuits to insure full power.
  I ran the fleet upgrade also, a separate 8ga wire from the Alt. to the main feed + stud on the ALT gauge. That gives a second path for dash controlled demands bypassing the main bulkhead connector through a sealed grommet. (More shedding load.) If I fed coil/ignition and choke on the same wire/relay it would slightly starve each other as the "electrical pinch point" ends up at the contacts of the relay. (Take a relay apart and look at the assembly inside.)
  My Alt. is a Denso rated for 120amp but used for it's ability to output 60amp @ idle. By installing a new "OER" brand ALT gauge rated for 60 amps I've increased the load capacity my system can handle recharging the battery also.  :2thumbs:
  I replaced all my harnesses and did voltage checks before adding the electric choke carb, my coil was seeing about 11 volts. Now 13.5 average, same as battery. (As it should be.) I'm not a fan of adding anything to coil/ignition supply power, for years I ran a separate ignition switch.   

frank1966

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 23, 2016, 06:24:26 PM

The thing that makes the Mopar ignition wiring incompatible with some aftermarket wiring kits is the fact that IGN 1 and IGN 2 are never powered at the same time in any switch position.

IOW, IGN1 (factory blue wire) is powered only with the switch in the RUN position but shuts off in START and IGN 2 (factory brown wire) is powered only in the START position but shuts off in RUN.

Now iam confused, so if I tie them together from one feed they only get power based on the position of the key. In start, brown is active, once the key falls back to run the blue takes over.

Pete in NH

Quote from: frank1966 on February 23, 2016, 09:49:01 PM

Now iam confused, so if I tie them together from one feed they only get power based on the position of the key. In start, brown is active, once the key falls back to run the blue takes over.

Yes, now you've got it!

flyinlow

It will be interesting to see how a remote starter works on a car that requires the choke to be manually set........I see a FITech fuel injection system in your future.

Dino

And there will be one!   :2thumbs:

Not right now though, I need to get through school first. IF I get the car done before May, and that's a very big if, then I'll be using the remote starter only when the car's already warmed up such as coming back from a store or something. Nothing more than to show off.   :lol:

The remote starter will really only come into play once I have EFI installed. But at least the wiring will be done!

While I have you smart people here...I need to wire in a bunch of relays: 3 for the power doors, 1 for the power trunk, 1 for a ground when armed output, 1 for the parking lights, and maybe 1 or 2 more. Can I power these relays without running 6-7 wires from the battery? Does each relay need its own fused power wire?

frank1966

Quote from: Pete in NH on February 24, 2016, 10:03:09 AM
Quote from: frank1966 on February 23, 2016, 09:49:01 PM

Yes, now you've got it!

So they must be tied together

frank1966

Unless I can figure a way to run a lead from the brown wire to the post coil side. I don't think that will work. I guess that's why they have me tapping off the ING wire and using a diode feed.

frank1966

I really want to fully understand this. I don't understand the flow of current through the ign switch. Doesn't feed mean bringing charge to a source? I have an ING feed from the fuse box and a coil feed. If charge is coming into the switch via ign feed to ign 1 and 2 where does it go after?

flyinlow

Quote from: Dino on February 24, 2016, 12:11:51 PM
While I have you smart people here...I need to wire in a bunch of relays: 3 for the power doors, 1 for the power trunk, 1 for a ground when armed output, 1 for the parking lights, and maybe 1 or 2 more. Can I power these relays without running 6-7 wires from the battery? Does each relay need its own fused power wire?

Short answer, no.   To avoid frequent fuse replacement you would need to figure the current draw and how often they are used. For example door lock soliniods are frequently used together so you would need a fuse and power feed wire large enough for two lets say  10 amps each for 20 amp total.   You probably would not look the doors and pop the trunk at the same time (an other ten amps?)  Car manufacturers piggyback some loads. Your house is wired that way too.  If you have room and don't mind extra fuse blocks one fuse and one wire for each is probably the best.

To relay the headlights and parking lights I would have the relays and fuses as near the battery as possible. The less power you run thru the cabin the safer it is, less power thru old bulkhead connectors.

I have three additional fuse blocks. One always hot near the under hood charging post where the battery was (headlights, cooling fans). One always hot in the trunk next to the battery (tail lights, brake lights, trunk release, electric seats , heated seats, alarm)   One accessory  hot under dash (extra gauges, sound system, power ports) .

Dino

Short reply: dammit!   :lol:

Okay so power wire for each.  

I did the headlight relay upgrade a few years ago so I have two relays mounted on the radiator frame and they are protected by a circuit breaker. So dedicated power there.

The one I need for the parking lights is for the alarm system; when arm/disarm or when the alarm is triggered, the parking lamps will flash. Oh and the taillights, I'll wire those in as well. Hence my question on amp draw.  :yesnod:

The door locks will have a progressive unlock so I'll use one relay to lock both doors when I arm the system, one relay to unlock the driver's door when I push the unarm button once, and one relay to unlock the passenger side door if I hit the unlock button again. H2/1 is the progressive unlock wire from the alarm. See diagram.

I indeed won't be doing either of those while unlocking the trunk no, that would be weird.   :icon_smile_big:

I'm not sure if I'm going to need more relays than that but if I add one or two I'll power, and fuse, them separately. I'm also adding diodes to the relays.

I think it's best to run a short heavy gauge wire from the battery post to a fuse block and hook up all my power wires there as suggested in my other thread. There's going to be a lot of wires but since not all will be drawing power at the same time I guess it can handle it.

What I need so far for power wires is one each to:
-alarm
-remote starter
-driver side power window module
-passenger side power window module
-trunk relay
-driver unlock relay
-passenger unlock relay
-both doors lock relay
-ground when armed relay (automatically closes all windows)
-parking light flash relay

That's 10 power wires! For the first 4 I'm running 10 gauge, should I use the same for the relays?

I can use the oval hole meant for the clutch master on manual cars to run the wires through. It has a plastic plug in there now so I'm going to figure out how to get the wires through that and have them sealed.

I already have the rest of the system beefed up. There is no more fusible link. An 8 gauge wire runs inside to the stock power splice through a 50A maxi fuse. Battery, 90A alternator, and starter relay are connected by 6 gauge wires and fused by the battery. Ammeter was replaced with a volt meter.