News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can't remember where the block to Chassis ground goes on my '69...

Started by UH60L, February 25, 2016, 07:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UH60L

So, I'm getting really close to being able to start and break in my 440 in my '69 after a long 8 years, and I can't for the life of me remember where the block to chassis ground was connected on the chassis.

I planned on connecting it to the back of the right head on the block (I think that's where it was connected before...).

Also, I was wondering about additional grounds using a painless kit.  I am using a painless 10127 kit that I bought back in 2008, and it says it doesn't provide any grounds and that you have to provide them. 

I currently have 4 specific grounds: battery to front left block, battery to top left radiator bolt, MSD/MOPAR Performance 6AL controller to front right block, and right rear block to chassis. 

Do I need another one specifically for the harness and if so, what would it go between?

I'm not a wiring guy, I'm just following the painless diagrams, the original maintenance manual diagrams, and getting advice from a friend who's been helping me, but he's a Chevy guy...

VegasCharger

Here are a couple of my 68 when I first got it. These pics are not in great detail displaying the ground strap but I think you'll get the ideal.

1st pic - red circle shows where the the ground strap (wire/cable) attaches to the firewall. If you have A/C it's just below and off to the left of the water valve cutout.

2nd pic - red arrow is pointing in the area of where the ground strap bolts to the head of the engine. I do not have a direct shot of the threaded hole but it's close to the area of the RH head rear of the engine.

Hope that helps.

:cheers:

UH60L

Thanks.  I don't have A/C, so no cut out.  I had about 5 holes in the firewall to choose from and I didn't take any good pics that show the ground strap before tearing the car apart back in 2008...

I think I know which one it is now. 

One of the others is for a ballast resister, I'm not sure about the rest of the holes...

Hope I'm not missing anything.  :-)

twenty mike mike

I just installed these yesterday after two years of being apart, so there was a lot of  :shruggy: and searching for bolts in boxes. Nov '68 build date, if that makes a difference.