News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The correct voltage regulator for a 60 amp alternator?...

Started by UH60L, February 27, 2016, 01:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UH60L

Most of my local parts stores carry voltage regulators for my '69 Charger, but they all say for use with 46 amp or less, or specifically say "not for use with 60 amp alternator".  What is the correct one to use with the 60 amp alternator?

Also, I am about 90 percent done installing a new painless 10127 wiring harness on my car.  ( it's the older 14 circuit version...)  I can't for the life of me remember how the voltage regulator was connected to the alternator. (which wires to what plugs/connectors)

I've got the two wires form the painless kit run to the alternator, but now I need to wire in the regulator...

Any help would be appreciated.

Clint

John_Kunkel

Voltage regulators regulate voltage, not amperage; they don't care what the amp-rating of the alternator is unless the particular alternator is of a different design (like the Leece-Neville).

The '69 regulator wires like in the schematic below.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Pete in NH

The Leece-Neville alternator was rated at 60 amps and was used on police cars and taxi's back then. I suspect that's why the parts books are saying don't use the regulators with a 60 amp alternator. The stock big alternator in 69 for cars with A/C was 46 amps. The Leece-Neville system was a completely different set up than the Chrysler system.

The stock 69's used a mechanical relay regulator with some fixed value resistors in it. Almost all replacement types today are electronic units with transistors to control the field current. Both of those types of regulators have a limited range of field current they can deal with. The relay type is limited by the resistors used and the electronic types by the need to cool the transistors.

To use a 60 amp Chrysler alternator such as the 72 and up, two field wire, square backs the easiest thing to do is use the newer Chrysler electronic regulator. Since you are asking about 60 aps alternators, which one do you have? I doubt it's a Leece-Neville, they are really rare today.

UH60L

Thanks for the info.

My alternator has the black (bat) and the green connectors as shown in your diagram.  It has what may be a screw at the other point.  It is not a stock MOPAR alternator, just the one that the local parts store had back in 2005-ish when I needed one.

Also, I am not using a ballast resister, but I am using a MSD 6AL controller, thus the wire that would have gone from the painless harness to the coil/ballast resister (your brown wire above) now goes directly to the MSD 6AL.  (I am going to mount he ballast resister and run some fake/unconnceted wires to it just to for looks...)

The attached photo is from the painless book.  My alternator only has 1 field connector...

I wish I ahd taken better pictures in 2007/2008 when I was stripping the car down for body work.

UH60L

Here's a couple pics of the alternator, I don't remember what brand it is. 

A383Wing

Pete in NH

That's a stock Mopar alternator, if it's a single field wire unit it is correct for a 69. Just get a stock voltage regulator for a 69. One terminal on the regulator will be marked Ignition or ING connect that terminal to a source of 12 volts that is on when the ignition key is in the run position. The other regulator terminal will be marked Field or FLD. Connect that regulator terminal with one of the wires in the Painless kit to the field terminal on the back of the alternator.

That should do it for you.

UH60L

Cool, thanks. 

I'm hoping to test the system today or tomorrow and start the engine to break it in in about 3 weeks.