News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Classic Auto Air's factory A/C replacement system. Hey it works!

Started by b5blue, March 04, 2016, 07:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

I just found Classic makes an A/C replacement kit for my 70's stock A/C system. Anyone used it yet? It saves all the hassle of blocking old A/C holes and adapts to all factory A/C vents. It also replaces the entire controller with a slick electronic unit. Don't know how I missed this as I've been drooling for A/C for several years, I gotta call them after work today.
 This link is to an install PDF:
 http://www.classicautoair.com/manuals/fakits/1-2066FA%20INSTALL%20INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

will

I have it in my 68. Be careful drilling that hole for the condensate drain. It doesn't really line up right with the template they give you. I did it over the summer, nice cold air. I never hooked up the lights for the controller yet, so i don't know what color they are. They give you the dash vent, you're gonna need a paint pen to chrome it, if that's what you want. The side vents are a little tricky, sometimes the hose pops off, zip-ties are your friend. I like it. Some people like to complain because the original system was so cold, but you'll be comfortable with this setup.

green69rt

Quote from: b5blue on March 04, 2016, 07:21:41 AM
  I just found Classic makes an A/C replacement kit for my 70's stock A/C system. Anyone used it yet? It saves all the hassle of blocking old A/C holes and adapts to all factory A/C vents. It also replaces the entire controller with a slick electronic unit. Don't know how I missed this as I've been drooling for A/C for several years, I gotta call them after work today.
  This link is to an install PDF:
  http://www.classicautoair.com/manuals/fakits/1-2066FA%20INSTALL%20INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

You going to share the install with us?? 

garner7555

Vintage also makes a kit for a car that was an original A/C car.  I am going to buy one for my car but can't decide between Classic or Vintage.    :shruggy:   

If you buy one please let us know about fitment and your satisfaction. :yesnod:

Here is a link to my post about the 2 kits.    :2thumbs:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,121709.0.html
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

b5blue

Yes I'll share and yes I was reading that topic also. I assumed "for cars with factory A/C" was a rebuild kit and that's not what I was looking for, I wanted everything new. After looking at the PDF in the link that's the ticket for me, I don't care about original looks. With Classic less than 20 miles from my home it's no contest for me, any troubles and I can just go there. 

b5blue

Well crap...the system is made in TX. so after taxes and shipping = 1793.42.  (Includes extra pulley for crank, mine has only 2.) A week to 10 day lead time with 3 days transit. You have to be there to sign for delivery. I gotta see how things go with the Sidewinder head swap.

Derwud

So I have just read the instructions for both systems and here are some quick comparisons.

Both seal off Fresh air  :shruggy:
Classic does not have Defrost
Vintage routes the lines through the fender.

As for the Pulley system.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/serpentine-belts-on-a-bb-mopar.106926/
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

b5blue

Fresh air blocked only on pass side. I have defrost, it can mix A/C and heat to dry out the defrost air. (Requirement for a Florida car!) Single groove pulley mounts on crank to run compressor and uses an idler pulley for tension. Key feature for me is adapts to feed stock dash vents.  :2thumbs:

rebby

I have pictures of my Vintage Air system in my GL build thread. I've been very happy with the setup so far. Great system!
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

will

Classic has defrost, that statement is wrong. I have it in my car, you can have air from the dash, heat, or defrost.

Derwud

Quote from: b5blue on May 05, 2016, 04:28:32 PM
  Fresh air blocked only on pass side. I have defrost, it can mix A/C and heat to dry out the defrost air. (Requirement for a Florida car!) Single groove pulley mounts on crank to run compressor and uses an idler pulley for tension. Key feature for me is adapts to feed stock dash vents.  :2thumbs:

Sorry, missed the defroster on Classic system.

I am going to see if the Drivers side vent will fit in the passenger side with the Vintage system.

I also got the CVF pulley system as well..
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

rebby

Quote from: Derwud on May 05, 2016, 08:57:23 PM
Quote from: b5blue on May 05, 2016, 04:28:32 PM

Sorry, missed the defroster on Classic system.

I am going to see if the Drivers side vent will fit in the passenger side with the Vintage system.

I also got the CVF pulley system as well..

See my build thread for pics of that area. It's pretty tight up there. I'm not sure if it would fit or not but I doubt it. I do have a few spare driver's side vents and I've been intending on trying it.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

b5blue

Got the box installed under the dash went to install the cover plates under the hood and it's made all wrong. Cover will not fit pipes....?

garner7555

Wow,  That doesn't look very encouraging.  As expensive as these kits are I was expecting a better fit.   :-\
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

b5blue

I'll make my own plate, the pipes didn't line up with the holes at all. At least I have a concept to follow and a piece of crap to template with. I'm not bending any pipes to force fit.  (Let's see if anything else is wrong.  :lol:)
  While not mentioned anywhere it dawned on me today the hood latch top plate blocks condenser install. I'll keep messing with this but only point out odd aspects or problems to keep all this short.  :2thumbs:  It's getting hot down here...90's this week!  :eek2:

b5blue

Got the plate made and installed condenser/compressor and A/C lines. Still have heat hose and controller stuff/ducts to do. Compressor adapter kit was confusing and lines seem off a bit from ideal. (?)

cdr

lookin great Neal!!!  nothin like COLD AC,    :2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

garner7555

Looking good.  :2thumbs:   I ordered a vintage kit yesterday, I had a 10% off code for Summit and they only sell vintage.  :shruggy:  I will let you know what I think of it this fall.  
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

b5blue

Pretty sure they are overall similar. I'm adding electric fans as my Flex-fan will not work. Looking forward to your review.  :2thumbs:

will

I think you have the compressor on there wrong. I'm working right now, I'll see if I can take some shots tomorrow. the compressor is supposed to be level, those bolt holes have to be level, not in the diamond configuration you have. That way you can have the hoses appear to be in the right position. You're going to lose the temp sensor, that is exactly where the bottom of the compressor ends up.

b5blue

There's a big steel plate that bolts to the 440. (See the black in the side pic.) It can only mount one way and it has holes for the compressor that clock it at 45*. The hose set will only fit to the compressor at that position. I kept mocking up and test fitting over and over to get to what you see.  :eek2: 
  The 440 compressor mount set is universal to 383/440 non A/C car/truck. It was a pain sorting out directions as they allow for different things. That's why these pics were posted...they are the pics I wish I had from the start to show how it applies to a B/RB in a B Body. 
  Thanks for checking will, let me know if I need to call CAA.  :2thumbs:

will

b5blue

Thanks will, mine can't do that. Everything clears and fits okay? My main bracket can't mount any other way. My temp sender is clear of everything fine?  :shruggy:

will

My temp sensor won't work because I can't put the wire on. It is directly under the compressor. I have more pictures, but I had to come to work. I'll see if I can get more uploaded tomorrow. I can e-mail them to you if that's easier. I have mine on a 383, so I can't see there being much of a difference. I also took pictures of my firewall plates. I don't know why you couldn't make them fit. I dry fitted everything, then I painted the plates and put them back on.
There are spacers and stuff that may allow you to mount it the way I have. I agree, the instructions are non existent to mount the compressor. I have a spacer and bolt through a boss on the water pump to get the comp sitting lower. It's sharing duties with the power steering pump. If your standing in the front of the car, my sight glass is clocked 90*, towards the thermostat housing. That way the hoses look like they're supposed to fit. I have one of the compressor ears mounted to the large plate which holds the idler pulley. I have catchers mitts for hands, so it's a cursive exercise to get the !@#$%^&*bolts right. PM me your e-mail address, I'll take more pictures and send them to you.