News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc brake conversion using stock drum hubs and spindles 2 piston, 4 piston or 6

Started by invincibleextremes, March 04, 2016, 10:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

invincibleextremes

So i have developed a conversion kit that i have installed and tested on my own 69 charger project "Black Widow" ...  its an adapter that lets you use 2005- 2014 mustang disc brakes on the drum spindles and hubs.

Since the v6 mustang and the 2014 gt500 use the same spindle and all brakes are interchangable it lets you use 11.5 inch v6 brakes or the 12.5 inch gt brakes.  And if using 2011-2014 gt brakes they are 13.2 inch brakes and I got mine as good low mileage takeoffs for $150.  That is the set I just installed on my  charger.  

When I can pony up the cash I will install the 15 inch 6 piston brembo monsters....  but they require a 19 inch wheel.  Even the 13.2 inch GT brakes require a 17 inch wheel.  Lowest you can go is 16 inch and thats using the 11.5 inch v6 brakes.

I'll post pictures in a few minutes, but theres a video of the install on my youtube channel.

Www.youtube.com/invincibleextremes

invincibleextremes

Yeah, $120 with the bolts needed for the calipers.  Theres a video of the install on the youtube channel.  Look for "$150 disc brake swap 69 dodge charger" if the link doesnt work.  Www.youtube.com/invincibleextremes

myk

Sounds a lot cheaper than the $1700 Baer kit I've been looking at...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

invincibleextremes

It is. its $300 if you get the brakes themselves for $180... add a master cyl and prop valve and you're at $500 tops for a 13 inch front setup... not to mention the money you save buy just using your drum spindles.

I made two versions of the bracket sets, a super heavy duty setup that i would confidently use with 15 inch 6 piston gt500 brakes or the standard duty one that can be used with the 13.2 inch.

$120 for the heavy duty set and $80 for the standard set.  

Both sets are the same thickness, one uses all 4 bolts on the spindle while the other is smaller and uses just the two  rearward ones.

I have similar standard duty brackets on my 68 pontiac firebird and use 13 inch corvette brakes without any issue.  My Fire bird has been to 160 mph and sees daily driving and is my tow vehicle...  no issues.

But i felt that developing a super heavy duty version wouldn't hurt.

invincibleextremes

this is a picture of the 13.2 inch brakes installed on my 69

Mopar Nut

What is the smallest size wheel you can use on those?

Great idea btw!
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

invincibleextremes

SOME 15 inch wheels work, but not all, and 16 inch wheels fit no problem if using the 2005 v6 brakes that are 11.5 inch....  the 12.5 and 13.2 require a 17 inch wheel and the 14 inch 4 piston brembo and the 15 inch 6 piston brembo brakes require 19 inch wheels...

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

invincibleextremes

https://youtu.be/3aP0yzE0XDw

link to the video, has pictures and the install with a quick overview.  I'll post pictures once I get a batch from the laser cutter.  I made the first set myself, and several of the lighter sets, but wanting to wait to release the actual brackets untill I have something in hand for anyone that wants them.  sorry.

Dino

Nice job!   :cheers:

New Mustang rotors are plentiful and not too expensive so that helps.  I'm not sure what the calipers go for. In any case, I'm running 17" wheels so I'm very interested in bolting some 13.2" rotors on the drum spindles. I'm glad l didn't throw away the drums yet as I'll be needing those backing plates.

I'd be interested in some of those heavy duty brackets.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

invincibleextremes

If you pause the video theres a couple pictures in there.  Btw its not the backing plate you'll need, its the hubs...  and they should work with the 73 A body disc spindles as well.  Just not sure what you would then do about a hub...

Calipers are $45 per side used in good condition.  But i just buy them in pairs with rotors.  Never paid more than $150 plus shipping.

Dino

Ah my bad. I wasn't aware the hub separated from the drum!

$150 for a pair of rotors and calipers....alright when can you have those brackets done?!   :lol:

I may want some drilled and slotted rotors though...just for show. Or maybe just slotted, the car sees a lot of road time.   :yesnod:

I already have a hydroboost unit and a master cylinder so I'm good there.

garner7555

I ordered some of his brackets already. I saw them on Facebook.  I look forward to upgrading to larger disc.  :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

invincibleextremes

Yup.  You got the first batch of the regular duty ones.  Let me know how they work out for you.  Sorry if the edges are a little funky, but the holes should be dead on, i triple checked them ;-)

1974dodgecharger

WOW so 6 piston calipers from a mustang on a 2nd gen charger????  REALLY?????  Man where do I sign up?

myk

Stupid question probably, but how can you tell if you have drum or disc spindles?  I'm running discs now, but they were converted from 10.5" drums...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

invincibleextremes

The above picture is of drum spindles... the 73 A body disc spindles have the same two bottom 5/8 bolts but no top 7/16 bolts... they do however have ears on the side for the factory single piston caliper to bolt on.

As it sits, the brackets themselves work with either drum or disc spindles, but the disc spindle uses a bigger inner bearing, which is a GOOD thing, the problem is that i have no idea where you would then get a hub to put a rotor on....  the drum hub is needed for the rotor.

I guess i can have my brother make a batch of bare disc hubs for the disc spindles....

But that would get expensive FAST...

invincibleextremes

Btw, this is a piece of info that is very important.  It regards the hub bore of the disc brake rotors vs drum hub and why the use rotor fit so tight on my 69 charger.

There is a 1mm difference (half a mm per side)  please note this before considering the disc brake swap.  It wasnt an issue on my charger but may be to some.

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows this.

Chryslers' 71.5 mm =2.815 in.  Fords' 70.5 mm = 2.776 inches. 

JB400

I was looking into installing CTS-V calipers.  Might have to do some reconsidering. :scratchchin:

Dino

Quote from: invincibleextremes on March 07, 2016, 11:08:25 PM
Btw, this is a piece of info that is very important.  It regards the hub bore of the disc brake rotors vs drum hub and why the use rotor fit so tight on my 69 charger.

There is a 1mm difference (half a mm per side)  please note this before considering the disc brake swap.  It wasnt an issue on my charger but may be to some.

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows this.

Chryslers' 71.5 mm =2.815 in.  Fords' 70.5 mm = 2.776 inches. 

Were you able to fit the rotors over the hub with the assistance of a bfh or did you clean up the hub itself? I suppose a machine shop can make short work of the discrepancy...but I do own a bfh!   :D

richard parker

What would you guys run for master cylinder and proportioning valve?

Mike DC

QuoteWere you able to fit the rotors over the hub with the assistance of a bfh or did you clean up the hub itself? I suppose a machine shop can make short work of the discrepancy...but I do own a bfh!

I would cut/grind on the rotors rather than the hub in that situation. 

I'm a little surprised about an 11.5" rotor with modern calipers barely clearing 15" wheels. 

Are both of these Mustang caliper sizes made of aluminum?   

invincibleextremes

I just cleaned up the rotor itself with a dremel drum and worked half a mm off the inside evenly and it fit...

SOME  15 inch wheels clear but not all, the mustang uses the same caliper for the 11.5 and the 12.5 brakes, just has a different bracket that places it more outward for the bigger rotors... which im guessing could be part of the problem.