News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc brake conversion using stock drum hubs and spindles 2 piston, 4 piston or 6

Started by invincibleextremes, March 04, 2016, 10:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan.C

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on December 24, 2016, 09:41:59 AM
Quote from: Ryan.C on October 22, 2016, 03:57:42 PM
Quote from: funknut on October 21, 2016, 11:28:38 PM
Trying to finish things up.  Just got most of the new brake lines in.  How are you all routing the lines from the calipers to the hard line?   :shruggy:

The calipers seem to want to run the hoses up towards the UCA.

Anyone got pics?

I flipped my calipers left to right and right to left. I also used the banjo bolt that came with the mustang caliper to mount my original Chrysler disc brake hoses. If someone has a better way I am all ears as I am not exactly happy with the way mine are currently routed either.

Had the same problem as you, the soft lines that came with the kit are made for front mounted calipers and just would not work, no matter how I tried them. I went with the 15" versions from Dr. Diff below. Problem solved.

http://www.doctordiff.com/stainless-front-brake-flex-hose-kit.html

:2thumbs:  I will order a set, thanks much!
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

68ChargerJMP

Quote from: invincibleextremes on December 23, 2016, 02:33:19 PM
Heads up!  The 11 inch drums have a different hub that has a more inboard mounting face and therefore does not work with this setup.  This setup is properly spaced for the cheaper 10 inch drum hubs... so yeah.  The one and only guy I knew who used the setup on his 11 inch drum hubs had to go out and get some b body 10 inch hubs...

Please explain... Does the rotor not center up in the caliper? Can this be fixed with a small spacer/washers on the bracket? I already trashed the 11" drums getting the hubs out. I don't really want to buy any more major parts if this can be easily fixed.

68ChargerJMP

Not sure about the washer thing, considering the bracket is on the front of the spindle.   :brickwall:

How much is it off? Maybe the bracket can be milled down a little. It is 3/8" thick, so I don't think a 1/16" or so would be significant. The cost may be cheaper and easier than trying to source some 10" drum hubs. Just barely thinking out loud.

invincibleextremes

You could, its just not something I can do.  Its roughly a 1/8 too far inboard.

68ChargerJMP

Just wanted to post up some info. on the 10" and 11" hub deal. I finally got around to mocking up my 11" hubs. Of course this is after buying some 10" hubs (Thanks Troy), after reading the post a little above. Here are the pics. To me the 11" hub appears to fit, seemingly better than the 10". The top pic is the 11" and the bottom is the 10".

68ChargerJMP

Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on February 10, 2017, 08:28:13 AM
Just wanted to post up some info. on the 10" and 11" hub deal. I finally got around to mocking up my 11" hubs. Of course this is after buying some 10" hubs (Thanks Troy), after reading the post a little above. Here are the pics. To me the 11" hub appears to fit, seemingly better than the 10". The top pic is the 11" and the bottom is the 10".

I may have spoke too soon on this matter. The issue with the 11" hub appears to be the grease seal. If you look at the 11" seal (#8121s) compared to the 10" seal (#6840s), it is almost twice as thick. Every other measurement is the same as with the 10" seal, except the height. It has a lip that protrudes out past the hub a bit. Maybe this is what is causing the fit issues. I am going to take my stuff to the parts store today and do some comparing. I may try to use a 10" seal on my 11" hub. I'm just not seeing  the purpose of the lip on the (#8121s) seal. To me, that portion of the hub looks and fits on the spindle exactly the same. I know nobody else on this thread is mentioning having a problem, so this may just be for my own entertainment, but I will post my findings for future reference. Thanks.

68ChargerJMP

Ok, I went to the parts store and looked at each seal, bought two of the 11" versions. Here is a pic of the 11" hub seal. I thought maybe the lip was hitting the step on the spindle but it slips right over. I can see on the spindle step where the old seal rode on for 49 years. I don't have the other seal to show you, but it is flat like a normal grease seal. Looking at it on the counter, I still don't see where the 11" hub seal would interfere anymore than the 10" hub seal, which (almost) brings me back to my thinking the 11" hubs will work. I'm expecting some new Timken bearings and races today, so I will mock it up again when I get everything together. Definite maybe on looking like it will work. Sorry for the thread jack, I just thought some info. on the matter can't be a bad thing.

garner7555

Great work on the testing.     :2thumbs:       I have just got my 14" Brembos rebuilt and installed but unfortunately I don't really have any success posting pictures here.    :brickwall:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

68ChargerJMP

Unfortunately, I think all of this b.s. worrying about getting my 11" hubs to fit is probably all for nothing. I bought some new wheel studs and they just fall right in the stud holes. I guess when I pounded the old ones out without first removing the swage, I enlarged the hole.....whoops! I could just tack them in, but I'm not sure its worth all the trouble. Its just the 11" hubs look so much beefier, I would have really preferred to use them. I am still gonna mock up the 11" hub now that I have come this far just so I will know. We will see.

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68ChargerJMP

Ok, I'm throwing in the towel on the 11" hubs. They seem to fit, although I  cant say for sure but I'm not wasting any more time on them. I cant use them anyway because of the stud holes being too big. Well, I could, but it would be more work. I already have the 10" hubs, so Im going that route. I'm tired of beating races in and out. I will post pics when I get everything put together.

Dino

Quote from: Ryan.C on August 07, 2016, 04:05:15 PM
Quote from: invincibleextremes on August 07, 2016, 03:25:04 PM
Next size down is 12.4 using the exact same caliper on a different mount.  Wondering if its the straight spokes or the wheel that doesnt clear?

It is the wheel that does not clear. The caliper gets larger towards the rear and the inside diameter of the wheel gets smaller towards the spokes. As the two come together it makes contact. I got out the die grinder and have taken off a substantial amount of material off of the caliper and it looks like with a little more grinding I can get the clearance necessary however, I think I will end up running a 1/4 wheel spacer to clear the caliper bracket once I get the wheel a little closer to where it needs to be. I will see how much material needs to come off before making a determination if this is safe. I figure I am in this deep I might as well keep going just to see.

I got called into work today and am unable to post pics. I will see what I can do tonight.

Hey Ryan, what did you end up doing to fix the clearance issue?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

invincibleextremes

He clearanced the caliper itself a bit.
He used the 13.2 inch front setup, if using the American racing 17 inch wheel I recommend going with a 12.4 front setup for a lot less headache.... or use a different 17 inch wheel...

Here's pics of the 14 inch brembo setup with 11.8 rears on Garners charger.

Ryan.C

Quote from: Dino on February 16, 2017, 10:22:55 PM
Quote from: Ryan.C on August 07, 2016, 04:05:15 PM
Quote from: invincibleextremes on August 07, 2016, 03:25:04 PM
Next size down is 12.4 using the exact same caliper on a different mount.  Wondering if its the straight spokes or the wheel that doesnt clear?

It is the wheel that does not clear. The caliper gets larger towards the rear and the inside diameter of the wheel gets smaller towards the spokes. As the two come together it makes contact. I got out the die grinder and have taken off a substantial amount of material off of the caliper and it looks like with a little more grinding I can get the clearance necessary however, I think I will end up running a 1/4 wheel spacer to clear the caliper bracket once I get the wheel a little closer to where it needs to be. I will see how much material needs to come off before making a determination if this is safe. I figure I am in this deep I might as well keep going just to see.

I got called into work today and am unable to post pics. I will see what I can do tonight.

Hey Ryan, what did you end up doing to fix the clearance issue?

The calipers have plenty of meat on them so I was not afraid to grind on them a bit to get the necessary clearance. It would have been a heck of a lot easier to use a smaller rotor  :Twocents:

That being said I would do it again to get the bigger rotor in that wheel  :2thumbs:

Dino

How much of the caliper did you have to grind off and how thick is it now? Roughly.

Ryan.C

Quote from: Dino on February 17, 2017, 08:09:20 PM
How much of the caliper did you have to grind off and how thick is it now? Roughly.

Sorry I did not take measurements however, the pictures should tell the story.

Dino

Thanks for the pics!   :cheers:

Looks like you had to remove quite a bit yet the calipers still look pretty beefy. The large rotor sure looks nice in there!

Ryan.C

Quote from: Dino on February 17, 2017, 08:26:50 PM

Looks like you had to remove quite a bit yet the calipers still look pretty beefy. The large rotor sure looks nice in there!

I really did remove a lot of material. If you go to do this use a tiger paw (80 grit) and soak it with oil to prevent gumming the paper up!

Good luck Dino.

Dino

Quote from: Ryan.C on February 17, 2017, 08:33:52 PM
Quote from: Dino on February 17, 2017, 08:26:50 PM

I really did remove a lot of material. If you go to do this use a tiger paw (80 grit) and soak it with oil to prevent gumming the paper up!

Good luck Dino.

Thanks!   :cheers:

68ChargerJMP

Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on February 16, 2017, 09:59:29 PM
Ok, I'm throwing in the towel on the 11" hubs. They seem to fit, although I  cant say for sure but I'm not wasting any more time on them. I cant use them anyway because of the stud holes being too big. Well, I could, but it would be more work. I already have the 10" hubs, so Im going that route. I'm tired of beating races in and out. I will post pics when I get everything put together.

OK.....change to the change. I went ahead and built the 11" hubs. I couldn't let it go without trying. They fit perfectly, with the seals installed too, no interference. No modifications were needed at all. I won't be able to post a pic until next week. So just an FYI, the 11" hubs DO fit. Sorry for the back and forth.Thanks

moparguy01

I went with the big ones for my car. 15" fronts with 6 piston calipers and the 13.8" rears. I'm going to start putting it all together soon. I just went up to a 20" wheel. All the calipers I bought from Ford. They weren't cheap, but I want really good brakes for a change. For the hub's, I called Dr. Diff and he sold me a set of hubs that he uses with his kits. I have to use 15" long braided brake hoses up front. I did find a master cylinder that matched the bore size and stroke of a 2013 Shelby gt500 off of I believe it was a 1985 diplomat. So it will work easily with my charger.

68ChargerJMP

OK.....change to the change. I went ahead and built the 11" hubs. I couldn't let it go without trying. They fit perfectly, with the seals installed too, no interference. No modifications were needed at all. I won't be able to post a pic until next week. So just an FYI, the 11" hubs DO fit. Sorry for the back and forth.Thanks
[/quote]

garner7555

I got some Brembos out of the junkyard.   Soda blasted them and rebuilt them.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Dino

Nice!

Where the heck did you find Brembo's in a junkyard?? I never even though of looking there. What did these come on?

garner7555

Painted them Viper red to match the car.    Also put some OEM rear Mustang GT brakes on my 8.75.   It is really awesome to have this as an option for our heavy old cars.   :2thumbs:   I really look forward to driving the car, this should be a slight improvement over the 10" drums.   :smilielol:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod