News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc brake conversion using stock drum hubs and spindles 2 piston, 4 piston or 6

Started by invincibleextremes, March 04, 2016, 10:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garner7555

Quote from: Dino on March 21, 2017, 06:39:59 AM
Nice!

Where the heck did you find Brembo's in a junkyard?? I never even though of looking there. What did these come on?

This was an aftermarket kit added to a 2007 Mustang GT.
https://www.racetechnologies.com/products/brakekits/gt-1b-8046a-0?vehicle=8338

But the GT500 cars came factory with Brembos.  Do a search on Ebay as there are 4 piston and 6 piston kits out there for sale.  I am stoked about having this quality of brakes on the car for less than $1000 total investment.   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dino

Quote from: Ryan.C on February 17, 2017, 08:23:35 PM
Quote from: Dino on February 17, 2017, 08:09:20 PM
How much of the caliper did you have to grind off and how thick is it now? Roughly.

Sorry I did not take measurements however, the pictures should tell the story.

I started a new thread on spacers. The issue with the 13" rotors and calipers is that the calipers hit the spokes correct? So a 1/2" spacer should clear the caliper? I may go with a thicker spacer, just trying to get an idea. I don't know if other calipers can be made to fit, something like the Brembos, but I want these wheels moved out regardless.

garner7555

Quote from: Dino on March 23, 2017, 07:08:05 PM
How much of the caliper did you have to grind off and how thick is it now? Roughly.

I started a new thread on spacers. The issue with the 13" rotors and calipers is that the calipers hit the spokes correct? So a 1/2" spacer should clear the caliper? I may go with a thicker spacer, just trying to get an idea. I don't know if other calipers can be made to fit, something like the Brembos, but I want these wheels moved out regardless.

For people who haven't purchased their wheels yet, would a different offset wheel be enough to clear the spokes?
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Dino

Quote from: garner7555 on March 23, 2017, 08:21:27 PM
Quote from: Dino on March 23, 2017, 07:08:05 PM

For people who haven't purchased their wheels yet, would a different offset wheel be enough to clear the spokes?

I think so. Looking at the material removed from the caliper I guess a little bit more offset would do the trick.

funknut

I'm not sure because to move the spokes in reference to the caliper, the space you need to create is between the wheel mounting surface and the rotor.  Offset may just be where the spokes (and wheel mounting surface) are located within the barrel of the wheel.  If there's no change to the wheel mounting surface in relation to the spokes, I'm not sure an offset change would help.

Dino

Quote from: funknut on March 23, 2017, 09:52:12 PM

I'm not sure because to move the spokes in reference to the caliper, the space you need to create is between the wheel mounting surface and the rotor.  Offset may just be where the spokes (and wheel mounting surface) are located within the barrel of the wheel.  If there's no change to the wheel mounting surface in relation to the spokes, I'm not sure an offset change would help.

You're right, hadn't though of that.

garner7555

Quote from: funknut on March 23, 2017, 09:52:12 PM

Very good point.  I wasn't thinking clearly on that.   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Dino

Can I use these brackets if I install the 13" rotor with a Brembo caliper? The calipers seem a bit thinner than the stock calipers which may solve the clearance issue with some of the 17" wheels. Are all these Brembo calipers the same and do they come with different brackets?

invincibleextremes

The brembo calipers that work with the brackets are for either the 14 or 15 inch rotors for the 4 piston or 6 piston calipers...  using those would put you into a whole new wheel size entirely.  The kind of wheels that would clear would be something like the bigger boss 338 wheels, the spokes bow out some.

Dino

Quote from: invincibleextremes on March 31, 2017, 03:23:17 AM
The brembo calipers that work with the brackets are for either the 14 or 15 inch rotors for the 4 piston or 6 piston calipers...  using those would put you into a whole new wheel size entirely.  The kind of wheels that would clear would be something like the bigger boss 338 wheels, the spokes bow out some.

I was just wondering if I could fit Brembo's off another model onto the Mustang 13" rotors, or maybe use everything off a newer Charger or Challenger in that size range. The Brembo's are sweet and they seem to be less bulky than the Mustang calipers.

invincibleextremes

If you send some dodge calipers and rotors my way off a srt8 300 or a charger or magnum or challenger I could probably build some brackets.  In fact that was the direction I was planning on going but the factory dodge calipers use plastic pistons and don't have built in parking brakes so they're a no go for almost all uses ...  except the 4 piston brembos, but that's a lot of work for a very tiny market.

Although if enough people want em, I can make it happen.

Dino

I forgot about the plastic pistons. I remember you saying that before. Parking brake is a must. There's always some older Mercedes Brembo's on ebay as well. They don't look quite as cool as the newer ones but they might do the job. I have to find out if they have a built in parking brake though. I found a few sets of front and rear calipers off an 01 Benz. Front rotors on those are 13.6" and rear are 13". I wonder if those would work on the Mustang rotors. There are other model calipers as well of course but a set of 4 can be had for $200 and that's not bad.

Dino

Benz Brembo's do not have parking brakes. There are kits for that.

I think I need to chill out, get the stock Mustang stuff, install the adapters to push the wheels out a bit and be done with it!

garner7555

Quote from: Dino on March 31, 2017, 07:39:55 PM
Benz Brembo's do not have parking brakes. There are kits for that.

I think I need to chill out, get the stock Mustang stuff, install the adapters to push the wheels out a bit and be done with it!

If you want to stay with 17" wheels then I would just use the ford oem stuff.    :Twocents:  Those will still stop great!!  :yesnod:       Maybe even try the smaller diameter rotors and see if it clears.   :shruggy:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Dino

Which are what? 12.5"? Yeah those would work fine. I would like my wheels to move out a bit though, always wanted that, so if I do use the adapters then the 13" rotors should work fine as well. Either one will do the job no doubt. Especially with the hydroboost system.   :yesnod:

Jarven

What a great thread, this will be my choice for sure, thanks!  :drool5:
What type of Brembo does Ford use? I assume 4-piston Brembos taken from other cars should work as well?
1969 Charger 440 RT/SE

invincibleextremes

14 inch 4 piston or 15 inch 6 piston... and no I don't think random brembos will work with my adapters.  But I do know they sell 8 piston 16.2 inch brakes for those mustangs....  not brembo, some wacky taiwanese company. 

The adapters basically mimick 2005 to 2014 mustang spindles and rear diff and let you use whatever brakes your budget, wheels and taste allows for...

68ChargerJMP

What are you guys who are running rear discs, doing with the rear axle brake lines? Are you having to cut and re-flare to put the end in a better location, or are you bending new ones from scratch? Will the factory drum lines work as is? Are you affixing some type of bracket to the axle housing near the calipers to support the hard line/flex line connection? Thanks.

garner7555

Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on May 26, 2017, 07:41:12 AM
What are you guys who are running rear discs, doing with the rear axle brake lines? Are you having to cut and re-flare to put the end in a better location, or are you bending new ones from scratch? Will the factory drum lines work as is? Are you affixing some type of bracket to the axle housing near the calipers to support the hard line/flex line connection? Thanks.

I just used factory style drum brake hard lines, and bent them where I wanted them by hand.   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Ryan.C

Quote from: garner7555 on May 27, 2017, 07:16:34 AM
Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on May 26, 2017, 07:41:12 AM

I just used factory style drum brake hard lines, and bent them where I wanted them by hand.   :2thumbs:

I used my original lines as well. After I cleaned them up anyway.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

68ChargerJMP

Awesome. Thanks guys. I was thinking of going with ss lines. Will they bend as easily or not so much?

garner7555

Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on May 27, 2017, 12:12:58 PM
Awesome. Thanks guys. I was thinking of going with ss lines. Will they bend as easily or not so much?

I used Stainless lines everywhere on my car.  I like them, just like steel, except it shouldn't rust.   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

68ChargerJMP

Quote from: garner7555 on May 27, 2017, 04:08:54 PM
Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on May 27, 2017, 12:12:58 PM

I used Stainless lines everywhere on my car.  I like them, just like steel, except it shouldn't rust.   :2thumbs:

Stainless steel it is then. Thanks.

68ChargerJMP

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on December 24, 2016, 09:41:59 AM
Quote from: Ryan.C on October 22, 2016, 03:57:42 PM
Quote from: funknut on October 21, 2016, 11:28:38 PM
Trying to finish things up.  Just got most of the new brake lines in.  How are you all routing the lines from the calipers to the hard line?   :shruggy:

The calipers seem to want to run the hoses up towards the UCA.

Anyone got pics?

I flipped my calipers left to right and right to left. I also used the banjo bolt that came with the mustang caliper to mount my original Chrysler disc brake hoses. If someone has a better way I am all ears as I am not exactly happy with the way mine are currently routed either.

Had the same problem as you, the soft lines that came with the kit are made for front mounted calipers and just would not work, no matter how I tried them. I went with the 15" versions from Dr. Diff below. Problem solved.

http://www.doctordiff.com/stainless-front-brake-flex-hose-kit.html

The Dr Diff hoses have a different size thread banjo bolt. I guess the 2014 Mustang GT brakes differ from the Cobra calipers he carries. Did anyone else not have this issue?