News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc brake conversion using stock drum hubs and spindles 2 piston, 4 piston or 6

Started by invincibleextremes, March 04, 2016, 10:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

invincibleextremes

This kit works with the brembo 14 and 15 inch brakes.  BUT I highly recommend looking for those calipers in junkyards or on ebay...

Garner grabbed a $3,500 14 inch setup off a 2006 mustang for $400...

And no it will not fit under 18 inch wheels aside from a few special ones.

Blakcharger440

Quote from: garner7555 on May 08, 2016, 03:33:41 PM
I currently have 20" wheels bolted on it but yes the 18" should clear these 14" without issue.   :2thumbs:  I think you can run a 17" if you step down to the 13.2" rotors.  :shruggy:

Garner, I have 18x8 and 18x10 Torque Thrust II on a 70 Charger RT. Are you saying that they should clear the 14 inch rotors with the Brembo Mustang GT 2014 Calipers?

funknut

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on August 09, 2017, 10:43:39 AM

Garner, I have 18x8 and 18x10 Torque Thrust II on a 70 Charger RT. Are you saying that they should clear the 14 inch rotors with the Brembo Mustang GT 2014 Calipers?

Unless someone has either measured or tried that exact combination, it would be impossible to know for sure. 

I have 18" wheels with 13.2" calipers and while there is more than enough diameter, the caliper interfered with the spokes and I had to add a 1/4" spacer.  No big deal, but just an example of an unexpected complication.

Part of the challenge of bolting these disparate parts together is that you are charting new territory.

Blakcharger440

Quote from: funknut on August 09, 2017, 11:02:29 AM

Unless someone has either measured or tried that exact combination, it would be impossible to know for sure.  

I have 18" wheels with 13.2" calipers and while there is more than enough diameter, the caliper interfered with the spokes and I had to add a 1/4" spacer.  No big deal, but just an example of an unexpected complication.

Part of the challenge of bolting these disparate parts together is that you are charting new territory.

Is there anyway you could have shaved some off of the caliper to make it fit without the spacer?

It looks like you have Torque Thrust II wheels also so I bet I will have the same issue no matter the backspacing difference of the wheels that we have. My front wheels are 18x8 with 4.5 back spacing.

invincibleextremes

It's not the back spacing that's the issue... but the way the spokes are designed.  Boss 338 17 inch wheels for example clear my c5 corvette brakes on my 67 GTO and 68 firebird... but those wheels have a noticeable bow to the spokes...

Part of the appeal of the torque thrusts are the straighter spokes... which interfere with some of the bigger brake setups.

funknut

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on August 09, 2017, 12:38:23 PM

Is there anyway you could have shaved some off of the caliper to make it fit without the spacer?

It looks like you have Torque Thrust II wheels also so I bet I will have the same issue no matter the backspacing difference of the wheels that we have. My front wheels are 18x8 with 4.5 back spacing.

Good question.  I did start to take some material off the caliper to get it to clear, but in the end I decided to just add a 1/4" spacer.  There looks like there's enough meat on the calipers to take enough away without reducing the strength, but I knew that if I ever had to replace a caliper I'd have to go through that process again, which I'd prefer to avoid.  For me, things weren't so tight up front that the spacer caused any problems.

But that's with the 13.2" discs and the non-Brembo calipers.  I'm not sure what changes are possible/necessary with the 14" discs and Brembo setup.

garner7555

Quote from: garner7555 on May 08, 2016, 03:33:41 PM
I currently have 20" wheels bolted on it but yes the 18" should clear these 14" without issue.   :2thumbs:  I think you can run a 17" if you step down to the 13.2" rotors.  :shruggy:

I have no idea honestly.  I have the 14" brembos on my car, and if you want to travel to Ranburne, AL then we could bolt up a wheel and see if they clear.   I could also take some measurements If you knew exactly what to measure.  My 20" wheels have extra clearance, so I think you could make 18" work with the right wheel and offset.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

richf

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/pts/d/mustang-brembo-brakes/6263158434.html

I don't know if this is a great deal, but it popped up on my local craiglist feed and thought others might like to see it.
1968 Charger 318/904 project
1985 Suzuki Madura GV700
2007 Ford Crown Victoria P71

Poor college student

moparguy01

I just got my fronts done today. However I can't get the pictures to post. I went with the 15" rotors and 6 piston calipers.

garner7555

Quote from: moparguy01 on August 23, 2017, 07:42:37 PM
I just got my fronts done today. However I can't get the pictures to post. I went with the 15" rotors and 6 piston calipers.

Wow! That's awesome.    :2thumbs:      We need to see pictures of that     :yesnod:     :coolgleamA:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

moparguy01

Maybe this work. Not sure how to make the pictures not gigantic though.

moparguy01

invincibleextremes

funknut

Very cool!  Looks like a great combo.  Wheels look awesome too.

Also, what hubs are those?

moparguy01

The hubs I got from Dr. diff. They work slick. It's not something he advertises, so I had to ask.

Dino

Quote from: Dino on August 05, 2017, 07:18:35 PM
Yeah I'm going with plain ceramic pads, nothing fancy.

The 12.4" rotors look good behind my 17" wheels. Happy so far!

Instead of enlarging the center bore in the rotors, I'm going to have the hubs front and rear turned to fit the rotors. If ever I need new or bigger rotors, they will be a true bolt on. It's not like I'm going back to drums!   :lol:
It would suck to enlarge the rotor bore, I bought the Centric premium rotors and they are e-coated on all non brake surfaces and I'd like to keep it that way.

The local machine shop was unable to turn the hubs of the axles down. The front hubs were not a problem. Since I really wanted the axles adapted instead of the rotors, I decided to build a simple wooden jig to hold the axle and allow it to spin. I hooked up my table saw's motor to the axle shaft with an adjustable belt and gave it a go. Worked great and took about 2-3 minutes per axle to reduce the hub by holding an angle grinder against it.

Now the hubs will always fit Mustang rotors.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

invincibleextremes

Big update...  the 2015-2017 4 piston calipers are practically the same as the the 2005-2014 4 piston calipers...  they need about a washers worth of shim to work with the 2014 14 inch rotors...

2005-2014 14 inch rotors can be bought at orylies for $40 according to mustang guys, and the 2015 4 piston I personally found on ebay for $350 or less....

Not garners $400 deal but pretty darn close and easy to find...

And the 2014 4 piston calipers can be had from rock auto for $100 or so.  That's $300 or less for 14 inch 4 piston front brakes using brand new rotors and rebuilt calipers.

Dino

Before I buy a set of Mustang parking brake cables, has anyone hooked up a set of cables to those rear calipers? And if so, what did you do to make it work? No point in trying to reinvent the wheel here.

Dino

Quote from: funknut on September 06, 2016, 10:44:57 PM
For anyone doing this conversion that has to buy caliper mounting bolts, I bought M12 x1.75 25mm grade 5 from Home Depot.

Does the 25mm bolt go ll the way through the threaded end of the caliper bracket? I measured the thickness of the caliper bracket plus that of invincible's bracket to be just over an inch. I was going with either 30 or 35mm flange bolts to have a good amount of threads stick out of the bracket.

68ChargerJMP

Will the 68 factory parking brake cables work with the rear Mustang discs? I need to order a new setup but not sure if it will be compatible. Thanks.

invincibleextremes

Pretty sure they wont, but haven't installed them myself yet sorry.  Parking brake cable ends in the drum differently than would on a caliper.  Looking into it now, I'll post if I find anything.

Dino

I doubt the stock cables will work But since I have my calipers I can go out and check if something can be done to make them work.

Garner plans on attaching the Mustang cables onto the Charger cable where it splits and I think that's probably the best way to go.

68ChargerJMP

Quote from: Dino on October 13, 2017, 10:25:54 AM
I doubt the stock cables will work But since I have my calipers I can go out and check if something can be done to make them work.

Garner plans on attaching the Mustang cables onto the Charger cable where it splits and I think that's probably the best way to go.

That's what l was leaning toward. Since I have an automatic, l was considering not even installing one. I hardly use it anyway.

moparguy01

I'm not running a parking brake on mine. I don't even have a parking brake pedal anymore. It had an argument with the roll cage downbar about who belonged there and lost.... :lol: