News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc brake conversion using stock drum hubs and spindles 2 piston, 4 piston or 6

Started by invincibleextremes, March 04, 2016, 10:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68ChargerJMP

Quote from: moparguy01 on October 13, 2017, 03:48:20 PM
I'm not running a parking brake on mine. I don't even have a parking brake pedal anymore. It had an argument with the roll cage downbar about who belonged there and lost.... :lol:

The only reason I'm even contemplating using it is that I restored it and looks too nice to put it in a box....but I think that's where it's headed. I want to put some high end separates in the kick area and I don't want to cut my doors. The ebrake pedal is right in the way for that.

Dino

Quote from: Dino on October 09, 2017, 12:45:15 PM
Quote from: funknut on September 06, 2016, 10:44:57 PM
For anyone doing this conversion that has to buy caliper mounting bolts, I bought M12 x1.75 25mm grade 5 from Home Depot.

Does the 25mm bolt go ll the way through the threaded end of the caliper bracket? I measured the thickness of the caliper bracket plus that of invincible's bracket to be just over an inch. I was going with either 30 or 35mm flange bolts to have a good amount of threads stick out of the bracket.

I was doing the rear brakes when I wrote that, the fronts are indeed 25mm. I used 30mm for the rears.

Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on October 13, 2017, 04:40:49 PM
Quote from: moparguy01 on October 13, 2017, 03:48:20 PM
I'm not running a parking brake on mine. I don't even have a parking brake pedal anymore. It had an argument with the roll cage downbar about who belonged there and lost.... :lol:

The only reason I'm even contemplating using it is that I restored it and looks too nice to put it in a box....but I think that's where it's headed. I want to put some high end separates in the kick area and I don't want to cut my doors. The ebrake pedal is right in the way for that.

I would love to get rid of that ebrake pedal and have room for speakers. Can you use a line lock for a parking brake? I'll have mine converted to manual trans eventually and will need some type of parking brake.

It's not impossible to adapt the stock cables by the way, but it's far from plug and play.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dino

Am I supposed to center the calipers over the rotors by sticking washers between caliper bracket and laser cut bracket?

sccachallenger

[/quote]

I would love to get rid of that ebrake pedal and have room for speakers. Can you use a line lock for a parking brake? I'll have mine converted to manual trans eventually and will need some type of parking brake.

It's not impossible to adapt the stock cables by the way, but it's far from plug and play.
[/quote]

It's never been an approved use of a line lock, the mfg. worries about seepage of fluid, and running down your battery.
Probably OK for short periods.
Don't know if you've got a console? How hard would it be to adapt a hand brake from another car?

Dino

I do have a console but I'm not adding more projects this to thing!   :lol:
The Mustang cables are probably the way to go for now. The lack of front speakers is a problem, but it's one that can wait. I'll figure something out. But yeah I think there are a few options of installing another ebrake somewhere.

Quote from: Dino on October 13, 2017, 05:38:56 PM
Am I supposed to center the calipers over the rotors by sticking washers between caliper bracket and laser cut bracket?

Quoting myself here,
So no, not with these type of calipers.

Ran into a bit of an issue with the front right; I mounted the caliper bracket and the rotor hits it...enough to stop it. I removed the bracket and turned the rotor and the whole thing is out 1/4". I doubt it's the rotor but i will check. It's probably the hat. I must've warped it hitting it out of the drum or removing or installing studs, despite the support. Or maybe it was hit before, don't know. Minor setback but a bit of a nuisance after spending the time painting the hub...

Dino

Quote from: Ryan.C on October 22, 2016, 03:57:42 PM
Quote from: funknut on October 21, 2016, 11:28:38 PM
Trying to finish things up.  Just got most of the new brake lines in.  How are you all routing the lines from the calipers to the hard line?   :shruggy:

The calipers seem to want to run the hoses up towards the UCA.

Anyone got pics?

I flipped my calipers left to right and right to left. I also used the banjo bolt that came with the mustang caliper to mount my original Chrysler disc brake hoses. If someone has a better way I am all ears as I am not exactly happy with the way mine are currently routed either.

I just noticed this again, but shouldn't the bleeder valve be on top and the hose on the bottom?

Ryan.C

Yes the bleeder screw should be on top in order to bleed properly. I ran into the same issue with my set up. The fix is easy though, pull the caliper use a block of wood the simulate the rotor and bleed the caliper upside down or with the bleed screw on top.

:2thumbs:
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

Dino

Quote from: Ryan.C on October 14, 2017, 09:05:41 PM
Yes the bleeder screw should be on top in order to bleed properly. I ran into the same issue with my set up. The fix is easy though, pull the caliper use a block of wood the simulate the rotor and bleed the caliper upside down or with the bleed screw on top.

:2thumbs:

Smart   :2thumbs:

Dino

Checked the rotor and hat today and couldn't find any obvious warping. I swapped the rotors and hats left to right and now both spin freely. Both have a bit of wobble to them but not a lot. I hope that's alright. The front right will hit the pad for a split second as it spins.

68ChargerJMP

Pulled a hydroboost from a 93 Astro van at LKQ for $25, ordered a seal kit for $30, a master cylinder from Advance for $30 and two fittings for $25. So far, I'm in it for $110. I still have to get my lines/fittings from MC to distribution block, that should be less than $100. Not too bad for under $250.

68ChargerJMP

Forgot about the firewall plate for $150.....So all in for around $375, still not too bad.

Fitz73Chrgr

invincibleextremes, your inbox is full.  Do you have any brackets made up and available?
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

garner7555

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on December 11, 2017, 09:12:30 PM
invincibleextremes, your inbox is full.  Do you have any brackets made up and available?

He has a newborn baby that has had heart surgery last week, (seen on facebook) so it may be a little bit before he can get back to you.   Be praying for that family   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: garner7555 on December 11, 2017, 09:18:41 PM
He has a newborn baby that has had heart surgery last week, (seen on facebook) so it may be a little bit before he can get back to you.   Be praying for that family   :2thumbs:

Hope all went well.  They're in my thoughts and prayers.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

garner7555

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on December 12, 2017, 02:08:25 AM
Quote from: garner7555 on December 11, 2017, 09:18:41 PM

Hope all went well.  They're in my thoughts and prayers.

If you want to find him on Facebook, look up "Invincible Extremes muscle cars" is his group.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

invincibleextremes

No wonder i didnt get a message, yeah I have several sets available.

Fitz73Chrgr

What master cylinder/brake booster are you guys using to convert a manual-brake car to power brakes?

Resto thread:

Harper

i also have a set of these brackets, i have not installed them yet. but hopefully soon.
1968 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (GL Clone)
1951 F1 Ford 302 EFI, Automatic
1965 F100 Ford Straight 6, 3 speed on column (all original)

funknut

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on December 14, 2017, 05:29:00 AM
What master cylinder/brake booster are you guys using to convert a manual-brake car to power brakes?

I went with the Tallon hydroboost and Wilwood dual MC.  Not inexpensive, but very happy with the results.

Dino

Quote from: funknut on December 21, 2017, 08:46:06 AM
Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on December 14, 2017, 05:29:00 AM

I went with the Tallon hydroboost and Wilwood dual MC.  Not inexpensive, but very happy with the results.

Same here sorta. Used Astro Van booster but will be buying a new 1-1/8" bore Wilwood tandem mc. Also considering the porp valve that bolts to the side of the mc, IF I have the room for it.

Fitz73Chrgr

Thanks for the replies.

Has anyone found a backing plate that works with this conversion?

Resto thread:

invincibleextremes

You mean like a dust shield? Cause the rear set up replaces the drum backing plate... And same for the fronts...

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: invincibleextremes on December 26, 2017, 11:17:41 PM
You mean like a dust shield? Cause the rear set up replaces the drum backing plate... And same for the fronts...

Yes, dust shield is what I mean.

Resto thread:

invincibleextremes

You'd have to cut the factory ford dust shield to fit around the bigger brackets. Honestly I don't think any of the guys are bothering though.  But if you want I can even make you some from 20ga sheetmetal for whatever rotor sizes you'll be trying to use.  Its actually really straight forward.

Moparmatty

Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on November 27, 2017, 09:49:24 AM
Forgot about the firewall plate for $150.....So all in for around $375, still not too bad.

Where did you get the firewall plate from?
Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada