News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc brake conversion using stock drum hubs and spindles 2 piston, 4 piston or 6

Started by invincibleextremes, March 04, 2016, 10:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RallyeMike

I'd really like to see one of these conversions actually completed and operable with a parts list that includes a matched proportioning valve and master cylinder.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Mopar Nut

Quote from: RallyeMike on March 18, 2016, 11:14:47 PM
I'd really like to see one of these conversions actually completed and operable with a parts list that includes a matched proportioning valve and master cylinder.
:iagree:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

invincibleextremes

Yup, trying to get my car together asap.  The wilwood 4 wheel disc master and adjustable prop valve is 300 bucks but i may just have to bite the bullet and buy it.

garner7555

Quote from: invincibleextremes on March 19, 2016, 02:32:15 PM
Yup, trying to get my car together asap.  The wilwood 4 wheel disc master and adjustable prop valve is 300 bucks but i may just have to bite the bullet and buy it.

Why not try using the factory Mustang master and prop. valve?
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

invincibleextremes

Hmmm.... thats like the most obvious and smartest thing i've seen all day!

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

invincibleextremes

Yeah, just the master itself will not, its got the wierdest bolt pattern... but the master and booster could be adapted.  In fact i'm positive theres an adapter already out there that adapters our cars to a 4 hole setup...

garner7555

I assumed some firewall mods would be necessary, and probably adapt in the hydra boost setup off the mustang as well.  I may have to look at the mustang stuff myself,  just seems like a easy choice since the master is sized perfectly for the brakes.  :shruggy:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

richard parker

Mike DC

QuoteYeah, just the master itself will not, its got the wierdest bolt pattern... but the master and booster could be adapted.  In fact i'm positive theres an adapter already out there that adapters our cars to a 4 hole setup...

I'd rather go down to a 2-hole MC mounting setup with decent aftermarket support. 

frank1966

Quote from: myk on March 05, 2016, 09:11:13 AM
Sounds a lot cheaper than the $1700 Baer kit I've been looking at...

iam looking at Dr. Diffs, set up. He sells a cobra style caliper with 13 inch rotors. He also has the upgrade spindle 73 OEM that will work on 70 chargers.

invincibleextremes

This is MUCH cheaper than the dr diff setup.

Heres the breakdown of the cost for a person. 

Brackets --------------------------                 ---  $120
Calipers and rotors----------                 ---   $250 (or $150 used)
Wilwood master cylinder and prop  ---   $300 (or $190 if not using a wilwood master)
Hoses ----------------                                ----   $50

If using new components and top of the line master cylinder you are looking at $720 total....  compared to the $850 price tag on the dr diff setup...

It gets cheaper if you use a $100 master and just an $85 prop valve from wilwood....

It gets even cheaper if you score $150 take off brakes from mustang guys swapping to brembo big brakes....

And you are also not having to buy a disc spindle for your budget build cornet, charger, superbee etc.... so that saves you at least $150

The first batch i am making with my brother are set up for use with both disc or drum spindles, we are thinking of making a run of aluminum hubs as well for the disc spindle guys (no drum hubs for them to use obviously...)

Plus we are developing the rear disc brake setup that will let you use the 11.8 inch rear disc brakes off the same year mustangs for balanced braking at a price thats not a kick in the nuts...

The brakes off a 2014 mustang are $200 brand new from ford, and even cheaper if all you're buying are the rear calipers and rotors....

We already have the first 25 pairs being made now, if people like em, we'll make more, if not, we'll keep making small batches for those who need them

richard parker

Awesome do you have a ETA for when the rears will be done as well?

invincibleextremes

Estimated eta on the fronts is 2 weeks.   It'll be 3-4 weeks from now for the rears, my hands are tied right now trying to move all my stuff AND project cars to oregon after 7 years in the army.
https://youtu.be/NpZjRXGFtgs

Heres the video of us dragging home the wifes 68 charger, it should give you some idea of how busy i am.  Luckly once i get the dimensions spot on amd make a prototype, we can cnc the holes after getting a small batch laser cut.   Then nickel plate the things and post pictures...

invincibleextremes

Yup, those 14 inch brembos fit the brackets....  as well as the 15 inch brembos...  really, anything that fits an 05 through 2014 mustang will fit.

Hopefully next week i can have the first batch done and zinc plated to post pictures....

frank1966

Quote from: invincibleextremes on March 04, 2016, 10:34:29 PM
So i have developed a conversion kit that i have installed and tested on my own 69 charger project "Black Widow" ...  its an adapter that lets you use 2005- 2014 mustang disc brakes on the drum spindles and hubs.

Since the v6 mustang and the 2014 gt500 use the same spindle and all brakes are interchangable it lets you use 11.5 inch v6 brakes or the 12.5 inch gt brakes.  And if using 2011-2014 gt brakes they are 13.2 inch brakes and I got mine as good low mileage takeoffs for $150.  That is the set I just installed on my  charger. 

When I can pony up the cash I will install the 15 inch 6 piston brembo monsters....  but they require a 19 inch wheel.  Even the 13.2 inch GT brakes require a 17 inch wheel.  Lowest you can go is 16 inch and thats using the 11.5 inch v6 brakes.

I'll post pictures in a few minutes, but theres a video of the install on my youtube channel.

Www.youtube.com/invincibleextremes

My 70 charger came with original front disc brakes which are disc spindles. I thought by upgrading to the 73 and newer spindles give you a performance upgrade from the original 70 disc spindles?

invincibleextremes

No, its a maintenece upgrade...  the single piston 73 brakes arent the greatest thing in the world.... but they sure are the cheapest and easiest to find.

Patronus

Count me in then!
For the HD's, cause if your gonna go, it might as well be with the big boys.
Also to confirm...only through '14, not 2015 or new '16 stuff?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

invincibleextremes

Yes, 2014 is the cutoff year.  After that they changed the spindle on those cars, so the mounts are different, therefore the brackets wont have the right holes.

Dino

You know I'm good for a set. I want to see what the HD ones look like zinc plated. I like the sound of those!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mike DC

Does the Mustang stuff have aluminum calipers? 

I assume the big ones are alloy, but what about the base model 16" wheel stuff?  The rear wheel stuff?

invincibleextremes

Heres the answer to that question....  this info is for a 2005 mustang.   The 2011 through 2014 use bigger 13.2 inch brakes for the v8 and the 12.4 disc brakes for the v6.
Front   293 (11.5 in) x 30 mm vented disc, twin-piston 43-mm floating aluminum calipers   316 (12.4 in) x 30 mm vented disc. twin-piston 43-mm floating aluminum calipers
Rear   300 (11.8 in) x 19 mm vented disc, single piston 43 mm floating iron calipers   300 (11.8 in) x 19 mm vented disc, single piston 43 mm floating iron calipers

RCCDrew

Patronus

I can't decide on what size to run.  :icon_smile_blackeye:
If I can get the 13" in an 18" rim I might bite.
I have 15"s now, but have some 18" wheels sitting here.
Can't decide  :brickwall:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE