News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc brake conversion using stock drum hubs and spindles 2 piston, 4 piston or 6

Started by invincibleextremes, March 04, 2016, 10:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astjp2

So has anyone completed any of their installations? Was there any changes to be made once you got them up and working? Tim

funknut

I have had the fronts installed for 2.5 years and they are excellent.  I am using the 13.2" discs with Tallon hydroboost and a Wilwood MC.  Brake feel is great and stopping power is light years ahead of where I was.  I can lock up my 255 fronts with enough right foot.  No changes *needed* beyond making sure you have the right flex lines and MC, whether you go power or manual, etc.

The rears I just installed recently as part of a teardown I'm currently in the process of.  I think they are 11.8" discs.  The spacing on one side was perfect, caliper lined up with the disc perfectly centered.  On the other, something was about 1.5mm (0.060") off, so I made a spacer plate and now things line up great.  I'm not sure why the difference, but I'm chalking it up to the 50 year old suspension.

I don't currently have a good solution for e-brake, but am looking at this kit from wilwood:

https://www.amazon.com/Wilwood-330-9371-Parking-Brake-Cable/dp/B002G39K0A

The only changes are wheel sizes.  I run 18", so no issues for me, but don't plan on less than 17" unless you run the small discs.  And even then it's a maybe.  Vlad may know more about fitment.

astjp2

When I built my Dana 60, I had them weld on the ends for the housing ends from a Ford Explorer, this gives me parking brake that is drum in the rotor hat, what I am not sure of is the bias between the front and rear based on piston sizes. So the 85 diplomat master is a good idea with the 1.0625 piston size. Not sure how I need to proceed. Tim

funknut

Bias between front and rear can be set with a proportioning valve.  I don't have one (yet) and figure I should be ok using a matched set of Ford brakes.  Wilwood and others sell them.  Some route them to the cabin so you can set the bias easily for burnouts.  :2thumbs:

Fitz73Chrgr

funknut, did you end up installing that Wilwood ebrake cable kit?  If so, how did it all work out?

I think you might be the resident authority on this kit now...
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

funknut

Hah, let's hope not, I'm far from an expert!

I haven't installed the ebrake cable kit yet, but I'm confident it will work as I've seen a number of restomod builds use it.  I'm still putting the car back together and have a few other jobs to do before I'll tackle that.  Hopefully sometime in the spring.

Fitz73Chrgr

Thanks, I ordered the same one.  I'm hoping to get this all installed over the next few weeks.  I've had the brackets in my garage for 3 years now...

Those of you who installed the rear setup, did you use longer wheel studs?
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Fitz73Chrgr

I got Mustang brake hoses, and the Charger brake line fittings thread right into the hoses....BUT...

The brake line is flared as is the corresponding surface of the brake hose.  Did you guys use an adapter fitting between the brake line and the brake hose?  It seems like it's going to leak...

Thanks for the help!
Patrick

Resto thread:

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on January 15, 2021, 09:56:09 PM
I got Mustang brake hoses, and the Charger brake line fittings thread right into the hoses....BUT...

The brake line is flared as is the corresponding surface of the brake hose.  Did you guys use an adapter fitting between the brake line and the brake hose?  It seems like it's going to leak...

Thanks for the help!
Patrick

Update: Advance Auto carries a 3/8-24 to M10-1.0 adapter that appears to work.

Resto thread:

Fitz73Chrgr

Yesterday I took my '70 for a first drive since this install.

I went with 12.4" front and 11.8" rears, with hydroboost. 

A few small adjustments/changes need to be made yet, but I will tell you that this brake combination is more than enough, I can lock the tires up at half-pedal. 

Look for a complete parts list from me in the near future, there were a lot of small things that took a lot of time to figure out.

Resto thread:

70 sublime

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on March 07, 2021, 12:18:32 PM
Yesterday I took my '70 for a first drive since this install.

I went with 12.4" front and 11.8" rears, with hydroboost. 

A few small adjustments/changes need to be made yet, but I will tell you that this brake combination is more than enough, I can lock the tires up at half-pedal. 

Look for a complete parts list from me in the near future, there were a lot of small things that took a lot of time to figure out.

What size of tires are you running that will fit over the new brakes ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: 70 sublime on March 07, 2021, 01:00:54 PM
What size of tires are you running that will fit over the new brakes ?

Front: 17x8 American Racing VNT70R with 245/45
Rear: 17x9 with 275/40

No clearance issues whatsoever.

Resto thread:

funknut

I just did the install of the Wilwood universal parking brake kit and I'm pretty pleased with the results.  The caliper mounting position creates less than ideal routing for the parking brake cables, but the kit is very nice and provides way more than enough length to do the job.  It still needs a bit of adjustment to pull the brake pedal all the way up when disengaged, but it operates great.

funknut

First drive last night with the full front and rear kit installed. I'm running hydroboost with a 1.125" bore MC and the brakes are strong, maybe a little too touchy. It will take some getting used to for sure, but it sure does stop!

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: funknut on May 01, 2021, 06:35:29 PM
I just did the install of the Wilwood universal parking brake kit and I'm pretty pleased with the results.  The caliper mounting position creates less than ideal routing for the parking brake cables, but the kit is very nice and provides way more than enough length to do the job.  It still needs a bit of adjustment to pull the brake pedal all the way up when disengaged, but it operates great.

Did you use the factory threaded connection for adjustment?  If so, did you have to drill the threads out of the brass cable clamp?

Resto thread:

funknut

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on August 14, 2021, 12:56:41 PM

Did you use the factory threaded connection for adjustment?  If so, did you have to drill the threads out of the brass cable clamp?

Yep, I used the factory parking brake cable, had to drill out the threads in the brass junction block and use a nut on either side to lock it in place.

Pic here for reference:

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/68-charger-r-t-clone-refurb.174381/page-8#post-911886085

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: funknut on August 14, 2021, 08:45:52 PM
Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on August 14, 2021, 12:56:41 PM

Yep, I used the factory parking brake cable, had to drill out the threads in the brass junction block and use a nut on either side to lock it in place.

Pic here for reference:

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/68-charger-r-t-clone-refurb.174381/page-8#post-911886085

Thanks for the reply.  I was considering doing the same, but was messing around (unsuccessfully) with other setups before I did that.  I'll probably just go drill it out this weekend.

Resto thread:

invincibleextremes

I'll upload some pictures when I get the chance, but the setup for the rear has evolved into a dual caliper system that some use for stunt work, and others use for the ability to run 4 piston brembo calipers on the rear with a 13.8 rotor while retaining the second caliper for parking brake and stunt brake duties.

If using the 11.8 as a single, nothing changes.  But if using 11.8 duals, then the secondary caliper is the 2005 v6 front caliper off the 11.5 front brakes.

Is using 13.8 as a single, nothing changes, but the duals use the 4 piston front brembo off the 2012 boss 302.

There's pictures on my Instagram page if anyone is curious.  And yes, the brackets have been refined a little, but they are definitely still available.

I've also developed a front brake kit that uses the 11.4 front brakes off a 1994 4x4 explorer and they actually fit 15 and even some 14 inch wheels... unlike the 11.5 mustang brakes which only clear a small portion of 15 inch wheels.

FI-Charger73SE

Hi
Have 4 piston 12 inch Wilvood set front and 4 piston with handbrake 12 inch kit in rear axel.

Link to my project https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10158152732019379&type=3
Cheers
Petri

Dino

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

When I had to take a break from the Charger, I was in the middle of this upgrade. I have the brackets, rotors, and calipers front and rear in place. The hydrobooster is on the bench reerady for paint. I need flexible lines, a new MC, hard lines, and a prop valve. At least I think I need a valve. Even with 4 wheel discs right? I'm thinking of getting the Wilwood tandem 1-1/8" bore. Anyone using that one? They have a kit that comes with a prop valve.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

funknut

Dino

Quote from: funknut on August 29, 2022, 09:04:23 AM
I used that one and it worked great with hydroboost.

Great! Same bore size? Are you using the prop valve as well? If so, do you have it on the fender side or engine side? What did you do for brake lines from master or valve to calipers?

funknut

Yep, 1-1/8 bore size was great with hydroboost.  I used the 13.2 in GT brakes plus the standard GT rears (can't remember the size), and went without a prop valve.  I have the wilwood one, but was impatient to get the car together so figured I'd try without the prop valve and see how I liked it.  I figured the fronts and rears were sized together for the mustang, so maybe they'd be fine without?  So far, no complaints.  The car stops hard and I haven't had either front or rear lock up, so can't really say which would go first.  I don't drive much in wet weather, though, so I suppose it hasn't been tested thoroughly. ;)

I ran the car with hydroboost and the 1-1/8 bore MC and it was really great.  When the hydroboost unit went out I switched to the 7/8 bore MC and it's pretty good for manual brakes.  Ideally I'll get another hydroboost unit eventually.

Dino

Quote from: funknut on September 12, 2022, 07:27:24 AM
Yep, 1-1/8 bore size was great with hydroboost.  I used the 13.2 in GT brakes plus the standard GT rears (can't remember the size), and went without a prop valve.  I have the wilwood one, but was impatient to get the car together so figured I'd try without the prop valve and see how I liked it.  I figured the fronts and rears were sized together for the mustang, so maybe they'd be fine without?  So far, no complaints.  The car stops hard and I haven't had either front or rear lock up, so can't really say which would go first.  I don't drive much in wet weather, though, so I suppose it hasn't been tested thoroughly. ;)

I ran the car with hydroboost and the 1-1/8 bore MC and it was really great.  When the hydroboost unit went out I switched to the 7/8 bore MC and it's pretty good for manual brakes.  Ideally I'll get another hydroboost unit eventually.

That's great! Thanks!

I guess it won't hurt to run it without prop valve. I can always add one later if needed. I have the smaller, but also matching, Mustang rotors.

stucat

anyone know where i might be able to get a set of those conversion brackets? Thanks