News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering column bracket assembly

Started by Voss, March 10, 2016, 12:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voss

Are there supposed to be a special kind of "rosette" washers for the nuts holding the steering column bracket assembly? Like in the picture below.

green69rt

Yes and here is where they are used.

Voss

Quote from: green69rt on March 10, 2016, 12:37:38 PM
Yes and here is where they are used.

Thank you sir!  :cheers: I will order a set of these washers then.

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

cdr

there is also a bolt that has one further down the bracket
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

VegasCharger

Quote from: cdr on March 10, 2016, 07:33:27 PM

:iagree:

Here's what the whole set looks like minus the 3 plastic capsules. It's available if you're interested.

Voss

Quote from: VegasCharger on March 11, 2016, 06:27:21 AM
Quote from: cdr on March 10, 2016, 07:33:27 PM

:iagree:

Here's what the whole set looks like minus the 3 plastic capsules. It's available if you're interested.

PM sent. I checked my car and I don't have that grounding wire either...

igozumn

The ground wire is normally, at least from what I've seen, held on by a 2nd nut to one of the 2 studs.  Slip joint plastic, then stud, then nut, then wire, then 2nd nut.  I run my tach and accessory grounds to the same location.
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

green69rt

Can someone post pics of the installed setup including the "third" washer??  I don't remember seeing it on my car.  No surprise there after 7 years!  :lol:

igozumn

I don't have one handy, but could grab one tonight.  Basically, in the above pic that shows the ground wire tucking up out of sight from the column cover, it hooks over the stud and another one of the serrated nuts goes on top of it.  The only washers would be under the 2 column attaching nuts and single bolt.
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

igozumn

You can't see the first column retaining nut under the big ring from the column ground wire.

VegasCharger

Quote from: igozumn on March 11, 2016, 05:38:44 PM
I don't have one handy, but could grab one tonight.  Basically, in the above pic that shows the ground wire tucking up out of sight from the column cover, it hooks over the stud and another one of the serrated nuts goes on top of it.  The only washers would be under the 2 column attaching nuts and single bolt.

There are a total of 3 washers used. At least on my 68 Charger there is. Below I attached pics describing the OEM hardware used to mount the steering column bracket to the under dash bracing.

Pic #1 - Pic taken from view of lying on the driver's foot well floor board looking up showing the bracing of where the steering column bracket gets mounted to. It also shows in detail all of the OEM hardware mounting use.

Pic #2 - Close up of rear mounting point that requires 1 bolt and 1 star washer.

Pic #3 - Close up of front mounting points that requires 2 studs, 2 star washers, ground eyelet and 3 nuts .

NOTE: Ground wire eyelet can be mounted on either stud, I've seen both cases. The other end of the ground cable eyelet mounts to one of the 4 steering column bracket bolts as igozumn shows in his pic.

:cheers: :cheers:

Voss

Awesome information everyone! Thanks!!  :cheers:

green69rt

Thanks for the pics VegasCharger.   :2thumbs:

igozumn

Vegascharger deserves  :2thumbs: for his post.

VegasCharger

Thanks everyone :2thumbs:

Also most may already know this but I will add this for newbies at the hobby. The 3 mounting points described above requires the spacers or some call them capsules. These are breakaway spacers that are design to collapse upon impact. I've attached pics showing these spacers. And a pic of the rear steering column bracket mounting point with the spacer in position. I do not have a pic of the 2 front mounting points with the spacers in place but I think you'll get the ideal.

Also here is a link to an eBay listing selling the spacers. Kind of pricey but hey it's MoPar lol.

eBay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-76-Mopar-A-B-E-Body-Cuda-Dart-Road-Runner-Charger-Steering-Column-Spacers-/381548685779

Pic #1. - showing the rear mount with spacer.
Pic #2. - showing the spacers (same pic from eBay listing).

:cheers: