News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hood turn signal housings - 3D Printed w LED's (1968-1969)

Started by ZappBrannigan, March 15, 2016, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZappBrannigan

I recently decided to make my hood turn signals functional.
My 69 Charger never came with them and I bought the lenses a couple years ago to fill in the openings.

My car is a driver so I prefer functionality over authenticity.

I went online and they are like $230 US (about $350 Canadian) which I would rather spend on beer and gas.
So I decided to draw them up in Solidworks and 3D print them.
total Cost was about $20 and they work great and will never burn out. (40,000 hr LED's)

Thought I'd share if anyone else wanted to do the same.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/6UKGTNG4B/1968-1969-dodge-charger-hood-turn-signal-led-housi?li=search-results-4&optionId=59448217

shown assembled with Clear orange Lens (not included ,purchased separately)

I bought my LED strip here.
http://www.gearbest.com/led-strips/pp_218601.html

Charger4404spd

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

TexasStroker

Nice!

I'd also like to see them installed and actuated.  Looks like a great set up!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

garner7555

I would also like a little more description of what is included if I order some of these.   Thanks.     :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

ZappBrannigan

Thanks guys,

To answer whats involved in setting it up and what you get if you order the 3d print.
Its not plug and play but its not difficult either.

1.The order comes as a one piece assembly in color of your choice which you split into 2 separate housings.
(original design was 2 separate parts but shapeways charges a handling/cleaning fee per part so I attached them)

2. Cut the LED strip and solder on your 2 wires (LED strips are labelled where to cut and they are 12v with resistor built-in)
I suggest getting the 5m roll of LED but PM me if you want me to mail you some strips.
http://www.gearbest.com/led-strips/pp_218601.html

3. Test with a 12V battery, Take off the sticker back of the LED tape and insert into the housing.

4. Attach to Clear orange Lens using clear silicone. Seal up the insert opening with urethane or Silicone. let it cure for 8-24hrs

5. add crimp connectors and run your wiring harness

I'll get some pictures tonight of it lit up.

ZappBrannigan

Here are the pictures I took in well-lit garage.

From inside car.

From hood.

Some build pictures.

garner7555

Ok awesome!  Great idea and design.  Is the part surrounding the clear lens grey on all of them or is it the color of the housing?  Thanks

Edit: I was able to figure out some of my questions by looking close at the links.  Lens are not included.  I ordered the housings and the LEDs that you suggested.  Thanks.

69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

ZappBrannigan

Thanks I think they look great too and they are bright.

Just to clarify.
The 3D print is only the 2 housings in the image below. NO LED's or Clear orange Lens.
I bought my lenses online (about $40) a couple years ago and I believe the R/T is orange with Black paint and the SE is just clear orange.

I do not manufacture these. Shapeways is a 3d print sharing service where others can log in and purchase/print what you created.
In my case I get a $3 Credit when someone orders them. I use this credit to help pay for future prototypes and development.

lukedukem

the LED link you posted says out of stock. is there another color you can run. i have my housings and lens, but was wanting to try to do the LED mod to it.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

ZappBrannigan

"the LED link you posted says out of stock. is there another color you can run. i have my housings and lens, but was wanting to try to do the LED mod to it. "

Luke,
Yes it does seem to be out of stock. although you can change the color to white instead of warm white and they have them.
PM me with a mailing address and I will mail you 3 strips. (1 extra if you mess up soldering)

Also be careful with original housing as its metal and you can short/ground on it. make sure to insulate the LED and wiring or coat/paint the inside of the housing with insulator like clear silicone.

:apimp: Happy green beer day.

miller time

My hero! Just ordered mine, now I need to get lenses, there was no way I could afford the reproduced one :eek2:

garner7555

Just received mine last week.  :yesnod:     :2thumbs:     Look good but it will be a long while before I test them, my car is in 1000 pieces.   
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

miller time

Just got an email saying they won't manufacture the housings for me because the design is now apparently too fragile and I've already ordered the LED lights  :brickwall: please ask if they can do the orange or white without canceling, atleast I didn't order the lenses and I find something else for the LEDs, ohhh I need console lights and I can make this work :D  still sad about the hood indicators though they looked sweet :'(

ZappBrannigan

I had to update the model. they didn't like how thin the connection between the 2 pieces were. (connections are cut away anyways)
I updated the original and added individual ones so you don't have to cut them. (but you need to order 2 pieces)

https://www.shapeways.com/product/PR8U3QUWQ/68-69-charger-hood-turn-signal-led-housing-single?

Having issues with the link preview but it can still be ordered.
I updated the link to go to the BETA version. scroll to the last picture and see the 3D view.

miller time

Link doesn't lead to anything it says oops
and I clicked the designer profile and it only shows the one that they won't make, also their search is useless  :icon_smile_blackeye:

ZappBrannigan

Its up and available again. Shapeways customer service claimed It was a bug in their site.
I blame the North Koreans...and global warming.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Very cool idea!  FWIW the lenses originally were trimmed in black on all models (non-R/T & R/T) :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

miller time

So far no email telling me it's cancelled :2thumbs:
My Hero! (Hopefully)
:cheers:

igozumn

Just ordered 2 sets.  Cool stuff.  Zapp, I sent an IM.  Let me know if you didn't get it.

Chris
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

garner7555

Anyone get these installed?  Mine are still in the box waiting for me to get the car assembled.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Derwud

1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

lukedukem

Do you have a pic of where you tie in at. The connector?

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

garner7555

I ordered a roll of the LEDs that you listed and they never came, so I reached out to customer service at Gearbest and didn't even get a reply.  So I thought I would just reorder but now they are sold out of both colors.  Does anyone know where I can buy these LEDs at?
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

garner7555

69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Canadian1968

I am confused. Can these be ordered or not
If so just curious as to how these are mounted ? The original use the horrible clamping system. Do you still use part of the original housing to put these in ?

would rearly love a set !

garner7555

I am about to install these on my car (finally) and just wanted to see if anyone had any photos of how everything goes together?  I have never had any hood indicators (mine were missing) so any insight would be appreciated.    :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Lennard

Quote from: garner7555 on January 06, 2019, 03:20:14 PM
I am about to install these on my car (finally) and just wanted to see if anyone had any photos of how everything goes together?  I have never had any hood indicators (mine were missing) so any insight would be appreciated.    :2thumbs:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,134282.0.html

nvrbdn

I just seen this post for the first time and will be interested to see if this actually works. I see there is some kind of a bracket with the light strip mounted into it and a lens over that. Is there mounting holes where it would bolt in where the block off plate was? Where did you find your lenses? I guess they could easily be cut from plexy glass and colored orange easy enough. Please post pics when you get it done!!!!
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

Quote from: Canadian1968 on August 01, 2016, 07:11:18 PM
I am confused. Can these be ordered or not
If so just curious as to how these are mounted ? The original use the horrible clamping system. Do you still use part of the original housing to put these in ?

would rearly love a set !

Yes, these can be bought right now. I know because I just ordered it. You have to buy 2 now and with shipping is 19.00+. but still an awesome deal. I will make my own lenses from plexy glass. I am assuming here, but you will use the original housing being that it will be body colored as the hood. This item will mount to the 2 holes on the under side of that. I am assuming that the mounting holes would be in the lens holding it to the bracket. But that is where I am guessing. I already have a few light strips, but they can be bought from amazon also. you just cut them to the size you need. Mine won't be here till the end of the month, so I will be waiting to see how these go for Garner 7555.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

garner7555

Quote from: nvrbdn on January 07, 2019, 08:12:57 PM

I just seen this post for the first time and will be interested to see if this actually works. I see there is some kind of a bracket with the light strip mounted into it and a lens over that. Is there mounting holes where it would bolt in where the block off plate was? Where did you find your lenses? I guess they could easily be cut from plexy glass and colored orange easy enough. Please post pics when you get it done!!!!

I bought my lenses from Vans Auto, they have better prices than most.   Here is a link to their ebay post as well as one to their web site.    :2thumbs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-68-69-Charger-Daytona-Hood-Turn-Signal-Lenses-Lens-Pair-1968-1969-NEW-/172049028786?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

https://vansauto.com/product/hood-turn-signal-lenses-68-69-charger/

The housings you ordered have four studs that are made to slide into 4 holes on the factory lenses, so I would recommend buying the factory style lenses.  The thing I'm not sure about is how to mount it in the hood.  This housing that holds the LED strip doesn't have holes to use the factory mounting bracket.  I haven't test fit it to my hood or assembled it yet so I will let you know when I do.   Worst case, I will just attach it to the back of my hood with adhesive.     :shruggy:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

nvrbdn

I received an email that said they are deciding if it can be made, then they will notify me when it has been decided and made. I thought they were past that already. Oh well. Thanks for the link to the lens.  :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

Just got an email that my parts have been shipped. So I will be able to see them soon.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

chargerguy68

Hi All, reviving an old thread.

I ordered a set of these and already got them (two weeks ahead of schedule!).  But I'm not sure how to mount them.

nvrbdn: have you found a way to mount them? Been scratching my head for a while now. 

On a side note...the lens' are VERY tight, actually don't fit.  I have read that they are a tight fit, but mine are about 1/16" off top and bottom.  Aftermarket hood and lens' and already painted.  Should I just file away what is needed to get them in.

Thanks in advance!