News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3 speed wiper to 2 speed harness and switch

Started by miller time, March 25, 2016, 11:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller time

Yes I know I'm asking for a presidential solution on this, I got a 3 speed wiper and 2 speed switch with my car and I half rebuilt the motor and made it work on a bench test, and I got a wiring harness that had a 2 speed wiper motor, also the park doesn't seem to work on my motor
So the question, does anyone know a way to make a 2 speed switch operate a 3 speed motor as a 2 speed and disconnect the park function?
Or a cheap switch and easy wire job to make the motor functional?
I don't plan on driving in the rain just having them work and being able to put on my wiper arms correctly would make me happy and a  near $200 switch is not in my budget, but if I need to buy a 2 speed motor or spend a mountain on parts, just let me know so I can focus on more feasible projects and know for later what I need to do!
Thanks and have a great Easter!

Brock Lee

The crank that attaches to the motor is different between the two motors as well. 2 speed cranks should be plentiful.

ZappBrannigan

I think I have the opposite of this problem.
I wasn't aware there were 2 and 3 speed motors when i bought one from local parts shop.

I have a 3 speed switch and not sure about the motor.
How do i tell if its a 2 speed vs 3 speed motor ?

miller time

From what I've found I believe the motors drum sticks out away from the fire wall on 2 speeds and the motors drum sits up against the firewall, but the 3 speed has 4 wires to hook up and the 2 speed has 6 connections, that I know (happend to have the wiring diagram in front of me)

miller time

I have the smaller motor arm but I need to get the motor turning on it own and disconnect the park function through either the 2 speed switch or some cheapo auto parts store switch, I got some 2 speed parts delieverd and and I can modify the motor bushing to work, but if I'm SOL I'll save the $20 bushing as it may be useful in 30 years  :smilielol:
I just want to get my wipers attached to the car in the correct orientation and maybe hit the switch a few times to watch them swing and that's all, I don't ride in the rain

Brock Lee

I am still not sure what you are trying to accomplish. What was your car originally made to have? Are you trying to convert to 2 speed from 3 speed? Is your 2 speed motor old, so you need to get rid of the park feature?

The wiring harness between 2 and 3 speed cars is the same. The only differences are the motors, cranks, and switches. If your motor is not working properly, price out a rebuilt one from Advance Auto or the like. I bought one for my car that is exactly like the original and it was reasonable. I only had to transfer the ballast resistor looking limiter over.

miller time

I want to make my 3 speed motor work off the 2 speed switch either slow and fast or slow and medium
And I want to eliminate the park feature, because it doesn't work

I'm hoping my 2 speed switch is working or I'll buy a 3 position cheapo switch for the time being, I found a 3 speed arm and can make my 2speed bushing fit, I'm just trying to make it function without spending a whole lot, (I will buy a switch or motor another time if I can't wire it to my dash switch) I'm not picky  :D
The gist is 3 speed motor, 2 speed switch, broken park function, and want to make it work, probably should have said that in the first post :shruggy:

Brock Lee

So, if I read this right you are looking at two options if you want it done right:

Go back to 2 speed if you find a proper motor.

Complete a 3 speed conversion by putting the correct switch, but the park feature is not working..

If it were me, I would just get the 2 speed going. I pulled my receipt and last fall I paid $53 for my re-manufactured 2 speed motor from Advance Auto plus a $6 core fee. Seeing you have a full 2 speed setup in the car, $53 to get it up and running, parking, etc seems like the cheapest route.

miller time

Yeah auto zone is out of stock from manufacturer (been 2 weeks), advance and Napa are discontinued and heads up the core at auto zone is now $20 so it's up to $73 plus tax if they ever get them available again
I'm probably going to get a 3 position switch and wire the motor up like the manual says to bench test the motor and modify the bushing if I can't find a good price on a new one  :shruggy:

Brock Lee

I didn't check auto zone, just Advance Auto. I looked online and the price is still the same, core and all. It says they are getting them from Carquest. Do you have a Advance Auto or a Carquest nearby? Or can you order one online?

miller time

Quote from: Brock Lee on March 31, 2016, 11:10:07 PM
I didn't check auto zone, just Advance Auto. I looked online and the price is still the same, core and all. It says they are getting them from Carquest. Do you have a Advance Auto or a Carquest nearby? Or can you order one online?
Just a heads up advance bought carquest and advance said there discontinued, I was thinking about doing it online, might as well worst I'd get is a refund, tommarrow's project!