News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New steering wheel and a broken part

Started by comet_666, March 26, 2016, 01:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

Pulled my steering wheel off today and found this wire broken off. Anyone know what it goes to? Also put new wheel on to see what it will look like...Not sure if I like it or not.

comet_666

Dino

Probably the horn wire.

Nice wheel, what horn pad do you have?

Can I have your stock wheel?   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

igozumn

Posted this in your other thread.

Quote from: igozumn on March 16, 2016, 09:22:31 PM
I think it goes under the turn signal switch mounting, err, I think it attaches to the bottom of the turn signal switch mounting plate and has a stud on the top side with a spring and ball that rides on the bottom of the steering wheel against the horn contact ring.  If your horn doesn't work, then that's probably the reason.  I have a spare column in the garage, but the switch is gone, so I'm not 100% sure.
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

comet_666

I think it's supposed to look like this...

comet_666

Question is, do I need to fix it if I have a new wheel? It comes with its horn button I think.

myk

Well on my Grant I had to attach that wire to the new wheel; I imagine yours is probably the same.  Also, I wouldn't be too quick to judge the new wheel until you get it fully installed...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

igozumn

The bottom of the wheel adapter should have a contact ring on it that the broken/missing roller would ride on.  If your new 3 bolt adapter doesn't have it, then there's no point in buying a new switch.  If you want the horn to work, and work with the new steering wheel button/cap, then you'll need a new switch and a different adapter that has the ring on the bottom.  

Start watching at 11:30 and you'll see the pin in the column (different column, but similar setup) and the ring on the back of the adapter.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWnJvG4FCNY
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

comet_666

Understood igozumm. Thanks everyone as always for the input.
Herbs has the switch for $71 + $13 shipping compared to CI that has it for $114 and $25 shipping if anyone is looking for one as well.

http://www.herbsparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=190080&cat=504