News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Career advice needed - Updated after 36 months

Started by AKcharger, March 26, 2016, 02:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stay with present employer or move on

Stay
6 (42.9%)
Go to Majors
8 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

AKcharger

Good day guys

I've found DC.com a surprisingly good source or advice over the years so I thought I'd throw this out for consideration. So the story is I retired from the AF back in '11 and started flying SAAB 340's for a little regional airline in Alaska, something fun to do really I never viewed it as a "job". After we moved to Florida I transferred up to our Boston base and fly out of there, shortly after I upgraded to Captain. Again, I viewed it as just a fun job but now with better pay. My #1 priority is a good schedule/time off.

OK so here's my dilemma: I now have the Turbine engine Pilot in Command time for the majors and they're really hiring and it's accelerating, so If I wanted to move up/on I could. I never really thought about it because it always seemed unobtainable plus I'm happy being a "big fish in a little pond" So do I remember I'm retired and enjoy things now since things are working out pretty good or do I "be all I can be" and move up? I do have 15 more years to give in the flying career.

To Stay
- happy
- good people
- get whatever schedule I want
- know the airplane well, no need to retrain

To Go
- I'll double my pay the 1st year (Depending on which airline)
- Flying a REAL airplane
- more and interesting destinations
- Much better benefits

:popcrn:

Charger_Fan

If you go to this other "more fun" job, do you have to also pull up stakes & move? Or would you simply commute by flying there?

If I had an offer for more money & other nice bennies, I would sure want to jump at the chance. But to move...man, I really hate moving. :eek2:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

AKcharger

No. I'd commute like I do now to Boston so no moving

ralley72

I'd stay. I'm looking to retire in the next couple years and looking forward to not having the every day pressure of meeting schedules, deadlines, and bosses that don't know what the heck is going on. My idea in retirement is to be able to pick and choose what I do, and hopefully having enough money to survive and stay at home. If its a economics thing, then change, if not, enjoy your retirement, you have earned it.

Mike
1973 Roadrunner 400 mag. 4 sp

polywideblock

sounds like even though you've "retired" you haven't  really" retired "    :scratchchin: 

do you still have "wants" or are you all set up for down the road ?

if the answer is yes to the wants  and no to down the road ,the new job would be  a chance to get ahead quickly (maybe another 7 as opposed to 15 years  ) .

just because there's 15years left in you, how many of them do you "want" to work ?

I've been told the trick is to keep active ,  that and how many retiree's have you seen stop working( stop altogether)  and then "fall off their perch" ? (my father included)

I'm a ways away from retirement and looking forward to that "time of my life"

just my  :Twocents:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

ws23rt

I say go for the opportunity for a new horizon :lol:  

It sounds like you would be happier with the new path anyway (money aside?).

Being "retired" is a great place to be.  Making choices about how to fill the time left should no longer be about need. It's about freedom. :cheers:

ws23rt

Quote from: polywideblock on March 26, 2016, 04:13:47 PM
                                    sounds like even though you've "retired" you haven't  really" retired "    :scratchchin: 

do you still have "wants" or are you all set up for down the road ?

if the answer is yes to the wants  and no to down the road ,the new job would be  a chance to get ahead quickly (maybe another 7 as opposed to 15 years  ) .

just because there's 15years left in you, how many of them do you "want" to work ?

I've been told the trick is to keep active ,  that and how many retiree's have you seen stop working( stop altogether)  and then "fall off their perch" ? (my father included)

I'm a ways away from retirement and looking forward to that "time of my life"

just my  :Twocents:

You are right about keeping active.----To me retirement is when working is no longer required. 
If ones work is enjoyable it can be a retirement activity.

I'm in that place myself. I started taking my pension in jan. and will work less but like it too much to stop for now. :Twocents:

b5blue

Stick with "Happy" and be happy. If you need more cash for any reason it's a no brainer, you gotta go to the big three to be "happy". I've lived "underfunded" due to my situation and it can take it's toll. (Razing 3 kids on my own.) Now I've a job with little stress, decent pay and benefits for my situation. (My kids are grown and doing well.) Enjoy even having this problem, it sounds sweet!  :2thumbs:   

ITSA426

A bad day at home beats a really good day at work.  Retire, really retire.  Let someone else have the job.

68X426

Based on what you provided for background (and there are lots more factors to consider), but based on that, it's an easy choice - stay.

Now if they offer you triple pay, maybe.  If it's 4 times, and some perks, then go.

What price happiness?  I think you are selling your soul too cheap at only double. 

Remember the devil comes in many forms.  :naughty:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

birdsandbees

You're a pilot... you're going to do what YOU want to do anyhow so why ask... the pilot is always in command no matter what the tower says! LOL

Yah.. I'm one too, as is my Brother.  :yesnod:

If you don't need the extra money.. keep it as is and enjoy life (and less hassles). If you could use an influx of cash you're going to make the jump anyhow! Took me a year to talk my brother into coming back from Kazakhstan, before one of those Russian maintained 319/320/321's killed him and I got him a gig flying a private guy around in a Hawker 800 from YZZ to where ever he wanted to go on short notice. Manhattan, Salt Lake, Nevada, Antigua, etc.

If you really just like flying to fill some time and stay current, stay where you are. Moving up and then spending countless 4am nights in sims, etc isn't what you need at this stage of life.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Ponch ®

I dont feel im in a position to give career advice to someone with much more life experience than me, but I echo the sentiment that, unless you need/want the extra $, there may be something to be said for being happy where youre at. Or maybe you seek adventure...then go for it.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

AKcharger

As always good points of view from my charger pals.  :yesnod:

myk

What does your heart and your soul tell you?  Moving up and everything that comes with it is meaningless if the things that truly matter to you are compromised.  I could move up where I'm at as well.  It would mean a 30% increase in salary, which would supercharge all of my car projects, but the demands of the position and moving up would destroy my free time with the cars and my personal life.  IMO the money and the advancement are not worth it, but in your case, I think only your own heart and soul can answer your question.  Good luck brother...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

odcics2

Every day you are closer to death.

How much money do you need???

You can't buy time.   :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

68X426

Quote from: odcics2 on March 27, 2016, 02:59:31 PM

You can't buy time. 

No sir you can't. 

Reminds me of this classic Twilight Zone.  Burgess Meredith and "Time Enough At Last"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAxARJyaTEA

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

miller time

Well you have 15 years Togo if you move up you could retire in 7.5 years with the same $ and 7.5 years younger, also how hard is it to go back and take a demotion? If not hard I'd take the chance and chase a dollar since it could mean a Daytona in the garage when you retire  :D since money is all that a career is really about, if we didn't make money at work we'd stay home!
But you do you, if you can test the waters though I think it'd be foolish not tó :Twocents:

AKcharger

Well, odcics2 has a valid point, time to me is everything.

Ok, I think I have my plan. I'll stay where I am BUT start getting informed and keep my options open. There are 2 company's I really like and if they can offer me a good schedule and people there say it's good I'll consider jumping ship...besides in 24-36 months the majors are going to be in crisis mode for pilots with mandatory retirements, provided the next economic down-turn doesn't hit. But I'm not going to take any "leaps of faith"

See, almost as good as the career advice in 2005!  :2thumbs:

Bobs69

I didn't read everyone else's posts, but you now have a chance to do something that you always thought unobtainable.  Say that out loud a few times.  Write it down.

It doesn't sound like you are really ready to take up the rocking chair yet.  

Also think about laying on your death bed, will you regret not taking the chance?  Will this new job suck up all your discretionary free time to spend with family and friends?

crj1968

I don't know your situation exactly. But for me, I try and think about what is best for my wife and kids....because that really is my primary purpose in this life.

AKcharger

Hi Guys

I stumbled across this old post looking to answer someone's question and though I'd share in case anyone cares:
About a year after this post I saw some REAL BAD decisions my old company was making and the end was inevitable so jumped ship. I was fortunate enough to be hired by Jet Blue and it is AWESOME. I truly thank the owner of the last company for making such bad decisions and forced me out of my "comfort zone". Its never fun being new and learning a who new job, but it was absolutely worth the move...well plus old company went bankrupt.
So a significant pay raise, overnights at places with beaches and swim up bars and decent schedule...every once in a while ya' catch a break

JB400

ACUDANUT

You get paid to Fly an Airplane ?  Dream job for me.  :yesnod:

69rtse4spd

Glad it worked for you, now some Pict's with girls around the pool would be nice. :2thumbs:.

AKcharger

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on November 07, 2018, 11:23:42 PM
Glad it worked for you, now some Pict's with girls around the pool would be nice. :2thumbs:.
Well taking pics of people in the pool be weird. But I do have to put up with this...