News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 taillights question, my inners are brighter than my outers...

Started by UH60L, March 29, 2016, 06:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UH60L

So, a quick question.  I'm at the power on testing phase of restoring my car.  I used a painless kit to replace the entire wiring harness.

For the tail lights, you have to either use the old wiring or build a harness yourself, and then connect the supplied wires from the painless kit to it.

All of my tail lights are working, including brake, turn signal and hazards, but of the 6 bulbs, the inner 2 are brighter than the outer 4 when the park lights are on.

When we connected the sockets, instead of splitting the "park" light wire 3 ways on each side, we used the "park" wire for the outer 2 on each side, and used the "marker" ('69s don't have marker lights...) wire on the inner 1 on each side.

Would that cause them to be brighter?  Basically they are all the same brightness when the brakes lights are on...    :shruggy:

fy469rtse

check your bulb's , inners are or should be single filament globes only
outer's are dual purpose, park and brake lights , oh and also indicators
when you have brake lights on ,? are they the same then , inners need to be changed to a lower out put to match park light watt's
see whats in your service manual for globe watts

A383Wing

you have the wrong bulbs in the inner sockets, your service manual will have the correct bulb number to install in there so it will be the correct brightness

Charger-Bodie

The inner two are supposed to have 1095 bulbs. Common mistake is to use a 1156, but they are way too bright.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

UH60L

I checked my book and it shows 1157s on the outers and 1035s on the inners.  I had 1156s on the inners.

I'm off the buy some more bulbs, thanks guys.   :cheers:

A383Wing

or.....you can get a couple extra double filament sockets and put those on the two inner lights so then you can put 1157 bulbs in all 6 positions.....that way you will have 3 brake and turn lights per side

I did this with my 70....looks good when working

Brock Lee

Yeah, wrong bulbs. Very, very common mistake. 1056 is WAY too bright..equal to the 1057 with brakes on.

The originals were 1095's and are very hard to find. But there are a few interchangeable bulbs with only slight variances. I think I have #67's in this car.

All below are the proper brightness.

#67 MINIATURE BULB BA15S BASE - 13.5 Volt .59 Amp

#89 MINIATURE BULB BA15S BASE - 13.0 Volt .58 Amp

#97 MINIATURE BULB BA15S BASE - 13.5 Volt .69 Amp

#1095 MINIATURE BULB BA15S BASE 14 Volts .51 amp

Just 6T9 CHGR

Handy bulb chart that I made up a while back.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Brock Lee

It would be neat to make one of those lists with all the interchangeable bulb numbers listed. I recently discovered while shopping for a #90 map light bulb that the old style bulb selections at all auto stores is dwindling. The super popular 1156 and 1157's will always be around, but the others are drying up and being replaced with the various different plug in styles on modern cars. Pretty soon we will have to  know the interchangeable models, or have to rely on ordering online.