News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door panel and quarter panel clips and placement

Started by miller time, March 30, 2016, 09:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller time

I'm looking to install retaining clips on my door and quarter panels? And I have no idea where to get the clips or how many of which? Hopefully my buddy has them for me to take
And which clip goes in which hole and what oreintation of the clips?
Also I don't expect to drive in rain so how important are plastic water guards? Rain is lucifer!
Thanks and pictures would be amazing!!

VegasCharger

There are two types of door panel clips. The wire type and the bullet type. I've seen both examples on 1968-70 Chargers. I've attached 2 pics. My 68 has the #1 wire type.
I have several of these clips lying around. Not enough to do all panels but quite a few.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Oh and I would go with the plastic sheeting. And I'll try to post pics of clip locations.

Here you go in the mean time.

miller time

Thanks! I went to my buddies house and he sold me a box of 50 wire clips from Henry's for a whopping $10, and told me the clips were interchangeable, since I have both styles on my panels, only 2 or 3 were on the panels when I pulled them out of storage, it might be because my 69 was built in 68?
And clip orientation pics would be amazing! And what do you use to hold the plastic on? I can already imagine what a mess all the holes I'll have to cut will be  :eek2:
:cheers:

rebby

Orientation of the clips is pretty obvious once you look at the panels. Even a worn panel will have a slot for the clip. The slot has an "arrow" cut into it and, IIRC, you slide the clip under the side opposite of this "arrow" and orient the clip in the same direction. Put in a clip or two then do a test fit (before applying vapor barrier) and you'll quickly see how the clips should be orientated on the panel. I wish that I could be more descriptive but it's very much a "look and see" thing and I'm sure that you'll understand once you start working with the parts.

On the vapor barrier, yes, absolutely install this. Also make sure the weep holes in the bottom of your doors aren't plugged up. For my vapor barrier I just custom cut a sheet of medium duty plastic to fit and adhered it to the door with a tube a light duty adhesive (caulk tube). You don't need a lot of adhesive, the door panel will hold it in place as well, just enough to keep it sealed up and in place. When installing, you'll notice a slot in the sheet metal at the bottom of the door (this is true in the back seat area as well). Do not run any adhesive on the bottom of the door, instead slip the plastic into this slot and leave a little extra. This is to guide any moisture that may get trapped between the door frame and the plastic a place to go. You want it to drain into the bottom of the door and out the weep holes. I ran about 2" of plastic through this slot to assure that it wouldn't slip out and made sure to run my adhesive strip in a manner that would encourage any water to enter this slot. Again, this is something that will make more sense when you have the parts in front of you than it does when you're reading through this.

Good luck!
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

miller time

Thank you rebby!
I was thinking they went in the way you said and you hit the nail on the head I thought the cuts in the panels looked like arrows :cheers:
I was warned it'd be a chore figuring it out, thankfully it looks like I was misinformed
I'll figure out the plastic, though I dread the thought of even driving through a puddle!
I was given some 3m caulk strips that I think will do nicely to hold some painters plastic in place

rebby

That should do the trick. I know what you mean about puddles/rain. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

miller time

Quote from: rebby on April 01, 2016, 08:36:35 PM
That should do the trick. I know what you mean about puddles/rain. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
Absolutely I have DD truck I'll dive in a hurricane and carry a car cover and plastic car cover in my trunk, I don't care about standing in the rain, as long as my car is dry! And some people think we're wierd! We're just as A B normal as everyone else!