News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MSD 6AL buzzing question...

Started by UH60L, March 31, 2016, 07:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UH60L

Ok, so, I just rewired my entire '69 Charger with a painless kit.  In the process, I put in an MSD controller and a later model electronic distributor.

Checked out the system with a battery charger first and then with the battery hooked up, and after a few tweaks, all the lights are now working as well as the wiper motor and electric choke.

But, I realized I had not connected the MSD power wire to the lead coming off the positive battery cable before I started testing.  So I connected it and then went back to testing with the battery charger at the lowest setting.

Battery charger on, no issues.
Battery charger on and key in "on" position, I get a buzzing noise in the coil.

Due to the engine never having been run, the distributor is out so I can pre-oil the engine.  There is no coil wire connected. 

Would that cause the buzzing sound?  Is the buzzing sound normal with an MSD controller? 

I don't want to apply more power or hook up the battery unless I know I'm not gonna fry something...

John_Kunkel

A battery charger is not pure DC current like a battery. Some items won't work properly with just a battery charger as the power source.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

crj1968

Not sure how much this helps but I have run a few MSD's and never heard a coil buzz.  :shruggy: