News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Custom wiring book

Started by darkfiire5000, April 02, 2016, 03:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkfiire5000

I am going to start on the wiring on my charger and am going to be adding a lot of aftermarket items such as a aftermarket stereo, led lighting, electric fan, etc. Does anyone recommend any books on custom wiring that could help me with this? I do have some moderate knowledge of electrical systems but would like a book to follow on the custom items. :2thumbs:

BLK 68 R/T

I don't have any specific ones off the top of my head, but something with adding relays and how to wire them correctly would be in order? especially if you are adding a lot of aftermarket stuff. The more load you can transfer to relays and get them off the main ignition switch the better.

Aussiemadonmopars

I didn't find any books and I looked around for a bit. I just made notes when looking at other cars and used some of my own expertise.  :2thumbs:

mopar0166

im in the middle of it right now, started with a stock wiring diagram, bought a painless kit 21 circuit.  then compared the two wiring diagrams, lad out the wiring on the shop floor.

I then added to the plan, two electrc fans ( which need a relay harness and 12v tigger wire to painless) electric fuel ( which need a relay harness and 12v tigger wire to painless), electric exhaust cutouts, after market radio, CB, I made a separate 12 v source for a small amp in the trunk, and under hood LEDS.  Depending on time I may put in some more lighting under front bumper. 

Its possible, you just have to plan it out before diving right in. 

mopar0166

Aussiemadonmopars

Quote from: mopar0166 on April 06, 2016, 08:20:32 AM
Good grounds are key

Yeah definitely, if your re-locating the battery to the trunk and running the positive cable forward to the starter motor then also run a negative cable of the same size to the engine block or a good earth on the chassis. I also put a fuse on the side of the battery box. I ran 2 positive circuits forward and had 2 fuses at the battery box, one for the starter motor and the other for the accessories.

darkfiire5000

:2thumbs: Thanks that helps a lot and gives me some ideas about how to approach it.

Aussiemadonmopars

I plan also on putting a fuse at the alternator output as well. I used heaps of cable ties to try and keep things in place and nice and neat under the dash or until I could put some split loom over the wires. At the points where I did some solder joints on wires I used 2 layers of heatshrink if they weren't in the split loom, just for some mechanical protection.

TexasStroker

With Mopars, most specifics will be different...although the core concepts will apply.

That said, here is a newer one which I have in the library:
http://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Wiring-Electrical-Systems-Workbench/dp/1932494871/

And an older book:
http://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Electrical-Handbook-HP-387/dp/0895862387/

Good luck.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!