News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do they even exist?

Started by Charger1973, April 11, 2006, 10:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger1973

Are the vintage nascar races on film anywhere?  Would be really interesting to see something like that from start to finish.  A track full of aero cars... 

Ghoste

At least some of them do.  I have a show that was edited down into a half hour of the 1970 Darlington race and I have footage of some others.  If you're going to set up to tape part of a race without knowing what you will capture, you might as well film the entire thing.  I'm sure they're out there.  Have you tried asking NASCAR?

Mike DC

It's weird seeing that old footage.  Not just the wing cars, but anything from the 1960s/70s.

The cars don't look as fast as the modern ones.  The straightaway speed was definitely there, but they seemed to drop half their speed for every corner unlike today's cars.

Lightning

they didn't have the aero grip that today's cars do.  If you took the aero away, today's cup cars would be turning just as fast as the older ones.
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

69_500

Todays cars are capable of turning higher speeds than the cars from the era, that is true. The biggest limiting factor to speed in 1969 though was the tires, not the cars.

Shakey

About 8 - 10 years ago Speed used to have a show, can't recall the name, but it was some races from the late '60's - early '70's.  30 minutes in length, sometimes in B&W, sometimes in colour.  As Ghoste had mentioned Darlington, if there were 20 epsiodes, 14 of the races were from Darlington.  I think they were more like promotional videos, but still some great footage.

Guys sitting on their fenders on the front stretch prior to the race smoking a cigarette.  Racing into the corner at 140mph with their arm hanging out the window, resting on the door.

Old school.

y3chargerrt

I think the show was called Car and Track.The best part of the show I thought were the road tests. I remember them tested a Hemi Charger 500 and a Dart GTS.What I noticed about the GTS was it had a bumblebee strip with body colored rear side marker lights.

rare69

there is a new show on speed channel called back in the day, dale ernhart jr narrates it, its all old 60's and 70's nascar races. pretty cool, much cooler than trying to sit threw todays nascar races. :yesnod:

69_500

Hey y3chargerrt, if you still have those tapes of the car and driver test drives you'll notice that the 69 Charger 500 also has the rear marker light bezels painted body color not stripe color.

Shakey

Quote from: y3chargerrt on April 13, 2006, 07:50:27 PM
I think the show was called Car and Track.The best part of the show I thought were the road tests. I remember them tested a Hemi Charger 500 and a Dart GTS.What I noticed about the GTS was it had a bumblebee strip with body colored rear side marker lights.

I am thinking of a different show.  I think it was called Legends of Motorsports.  It was strictly racing footage.

69_500

The new show with Dale Jr. would be alright if they would quit putting stupid things up on the screen while it is playing. Kind of annoying to me personally when they do that. I like listening to the old anouncers talk about the race too, rather than Dale Jr.

MetallicA

i have a clip from a race with pety in it, its cool, but i dont know how to hoste it

Ghoste

You know Danny, some people would say that using "Dale Jr." and "stupid things on the screen" would make for a sentence of mutual exclusives.
Others would make a connection between the two. ;)

69_500

Personally I don't care for Dale Jr. but that is just me personally. I don't think he is that great of a driver, he is decent but not great.

I just wish they wouldn't let him talk all through the episode's, and just have the old anouncers voices playing. Kind of like watching baseball on ESPN when they do the classic games. I hate when the newer guys start talking over the origional broadcasters.

Ghoste

Me either.  I would be one of the ones who connect the two phrases.
I'm with you on the modern voiceovers too.

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

1fine69

THERE WAS A " REAL " DAYTONA WIN GON EBAY LIKE A COUPLE OF MONTHSW AGO THAT HAD A LINK OF A SMALL VIDEO CLIP OF A #06 CAR RACING THAT LOOKED PRETTY COOL IF I FIND IT I WILL POST IT   
THE DEVIL'S A PIMP DON'T BE HIS HOE!

Aero426

Quote from: charger1973 on April 11, 2006, 10:01:28 PM
Are the vintage nascar races on film anywhere?  Would be really interesting to see something like that from start to finish.  A track full of aero cars... 

We have copies of The Hard Chargers, from 1970.  50 minutes long.   The film aired on network TV in 1971 and deals with the Pettys and the Wood Brothers.   On and off track stuff.      They are $25 for VHS or DVD.   PM me if you'd like one.

Dodge Don

Car and Track episodes with Bud Linderman....