News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Classic Auto Air's factory A/C replacement system install. (Pics added)

Started by b5blue, April 09, 2016, 09:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

I've ordered A/C for my 70 Charger. A factory A/C car originally it has the large holes in the firewall. The CCA system has metal panels that cover and adapt these holes for their complete replacement of all components. It also adapts to use all the existing A/C vents in the dash and provides a digital controller that replaces the original controls. This solved all of the problems I was facing adapting a "heat only car kit" to my factory A/C Charger.
 It took a few phone calls to sort out my details for under the hood, nothing under there is original and that started to get confusing at first. My car was a 318 new and now a 440 so groove count on pulleys and water pump housing part numbers sorted out best/simplest adapters for my situation. I think we have it worked out, I'll be adding just one adapter to my crank pulley, an idler and the compressor so my Alt./water pump and power steering remain isolated as they are now. (So my kit will be a mix of A/C car and Heater only car parts.) Ordered 4/8/16 my kit will be shipped to the Tampa FL. shop for me to pickup. Looks to be just over 1,600.00 cost and I'll keep you guys posted on how things go.  :2thumbs:

crj1968

:popcrn:

Did you get the wireless kit?  Do you have your dash out of the car right now?

More questions later......

garner7555

I will be watching close to decide which kit to order!!   :yesnod:    :2thumbs: 
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

b5blue

Quote from: crj1968 on April 13, 2016, 11:49:19 AM

Did you get the wireless kit?  Do you have your dash out of the car right now?

More questions later......
No dash is in place, fully rewired/redone I just held off installing my new glove box. However the interior is naked except for new headliner/visors and one old seat.

garner7555

69 Charger 440 resto-mod

b5blue

I saved 80.00 having it shipped to the Tampa shop, so it's not here yet. FYI they need about 5 days after payment clears to assemble each kit. (MOL) So I hope it's on it's way now.  :2thumbs:

b5blue

Well crap I just got off the phone and it's not even shipped yet. So maybe next week sometime.

crj1968

dang man- hurry up! summer is coming fast and you're my guinea pig !

b5blue

Tell ME about it!   :lol: 4/26/16 System in Tampa, now I gotta get time off to pickup?  

b5blue

Back from Tampa, Ron was great. Confusion with the order had mismatched engine setup and Ron fixed that on the spot. I'll take pics of everything as I go and post them soon.  :2thumbs:

b5blue

"Unboxing" bunches of well packed stuff labeled/sorted A,B,C with nice matching instruction packets. Note the clever center A/C vent that replaces factory, the frame is steel. Adapters included for defrost and left and right vents look well engineered.

b5blue

For those interested a PDF of my instructions. It covers all but the exact adapters to run the compressor for each engine application. (Mine will be for a non factory air 440 engine with power steering.)  :2thumbs:
http://www.classicautoair.com/manuals/fakits/1-2066FA%20INSTALL%20INSTRUCTIONS.pdf 

b5blue

Checking box fit yesterday, it's a two man operation. While a bit tricky, by removing everything in the instructions it clears with the dash in place and there is room to reach for the rest of the install. I've prep-work to do in that area so that's it till next weekend.  :2thumbs: 

garner7555

Good deal.    :2thumbs:   I will be ordering this kit or the Vintage kit sometime this year so I'm anxious to hear how you like it.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

b5blue

Yesterday I drilled the new drain hole and touched up the inside firewall. I checked fitment/placement here and there. Insulation is going to be a bit of a puzzle to figure out but I'll just be chipping away at it all.  :2thumbs: 

rebby

Quote from: garner7555 on May 01, 2016, 10:21:37 PM
Good deal.    :2thumbs:   I will be ordering this kit or the Vintage kit sometime this year so I'm anxious to hear how you like it.

FWIW, I went with the Vintage Air system and was very happy with the install. It was practically plug and play. I love how all the hoses run through the fender too (for the most part). Keeps things under the hood a touch cleaner. I don't think that you can go wrong with either system though. I'll be installing a CAA system into my brother in-law's car this summer.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

rcannon440

Do you have any pictures of the Vintage air setup and do you think the air is cold enough?

garner7555

Quote from: rcannon440 on January 29, 2017, 09:25:37 PM
Do you have any pictures of the Vintage air setup and do you think the air is cold enough?

I am about to install a Vintage kit on my car.  I purchased it last year but haven't had time to work on it yet.   Unfortunately, I'm doing a restoration so it may be a year before I can test it and give any feedback.   I chose it because it was a couple hundred bucks cheaper than Classic and I liked the way the lines are routed with Vintage better.   :Twocents:   :shruggy:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

b5blue

My system has done well but finding a fan for the cooling system has been a PIA. I'll be testing a fan/spacer set tomorrow.