News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Buying project xx29l9b386542

Started by taxspeaker, April 09, 2016, 03:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

Well Bob, we're waiting...LOL.   How did it go today? :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

taxspeaker

Quick summary-I did not get it and it will take more to buy it then the barn find went for since I was higher than that. I could still end up with it if the sale to the New York investment banker who didn't need a 2nd mortgage and the sale of his prize Aar cuda to pay 6 figures falls through. I'm hoping for a stock market crash Monday. I understand money talks and the owner has been upfront all along, but my opinion is I am in 2nd place and the bid goes on at 6 figures now. Once something final occurs this week I will post, with pictures and inspection information.

hemi68charger

I am hoping to go look at it next Sunday, we'll see.... Not for me, but for a couple of friends.... Albeit it is my "dream" car being F6 and a 4speed, I have committed to my Daytona for the long haul, especially since the thing has a 426 in it know... Maybe he'll trade for a Superbird project..?  :smilielol:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

BS27R1B

Sucks to lose out on a car, especially when you think you have it sewn up. I lost a deal once after the seller had my $25,000 deposit. Never count your deals until they are on your trailer. It sucks, but money makes some people act very strange at times. In this case I believe the way the ad was worded the seller was looking for multiple buyers.

Serious sellers and serious buyers use Hemmings so any thoughts this Daytona would sell anywhere near $35,000 was a pipe dream.
Six figures is not out of line for a three pedal Daytona project that appears to be solid and fairly complete.
' objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are'

nascarxx29

Thought it was low after the alabama barn find.Got so much attention.And with hemming online anyone getting a advanced hard copy on priority list .Could have locked this car before going online.It was advertised 35 K OR Best offer
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

WINGIN IT

So a project car needing a complete resto is bid at $100K at this point, yet this restored Daytona (Hodge's) gets barely bid to $90K ???
WTF ?  I don't get it...  :shruggy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Dodge-Charger-Daytona-/222063725540?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Goj%252B%252FiCEMG2d7Dr78kJL6jVqE%252FA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

rt green

boy, that sucks. i feel for ya man.
third string oil changer

moonlithaven

I disagree, THIS project car is not worth anywhere near $100,000. Really barely worth $35,000. This car needs a ton of restoration! Look at comparable cars right now that are for sale! Get real, we don't know if it is a matching numbers car, original engine and trans. It has an extreme amount of rot for a Texas car! It had a really hard life and has not been running since 1981. The motor is most probably seized. There is a crank shaft behind the drivers seat and the original shifter is gone, with a '70s pistol grip in its place. The car was really abused for only 12 years of life! Where is the front spoiler? Where is the scissors jack?
I sold my Y2 Yellow Daytona, and it had 25,000 miles on it all original matching numbers 4-speed car. No rust ever all original sheet metal! Nothing missing at all. So I know a little about what Daytona's are worth and what the market will bare. I have been reading about all you people going ga ga over this car and you all need to stand back and take a breath! If that stupid investment banker pays $100,000.00 for this care he is just an fool with to much money! It is not worth it! moonlithaven. :flame: :flame: :flame:
T-5 Copper Daytona

WINGIN IT

Quote from: rt green on April 17, 2016, 04:36:37 PM
boy, that sucks. i feel for ya man.
R/T , not sure if you're thinking the auction car is mine, but it's not.
It's just an example of the crazy stuff that's been happening . 

And agree with you Moonlit , the top bidder's got shite for brains.
I think the last "barn find" Daytona, started a current craze !    :brickwall:

1970Moparmann

Well, hope the investment banker deal falls through.   I would have liked to be a fly on the wall when he opened up his big mouth....    My fingers are crossed for you!

Davtona

Quote from: WINGIN IT on April 17, 2016, 04:03:24 PM
So a project car needing a complete resto is bid at $100K at this point, yet this restored Daytona (Hodge's) gets barely bid to $90K ???
WTF ?  I don't get it...  :shruggy:

My guess here only but its pretty common knowledge the extensive amount of sheet metal work that was done to this car. Comes down to how good a job do you think they did replacing the whole back half of the car. Thoughts probably are the F6 car may not need as much sheet metal work. And it is a 4 speed. Projects always go for more than they should probably because people know what their getting and they are more affordable. Besides the bid to 92K meant nothing with a reserve and a buy it now of 199K. Nobody was buying that car for much less than the buy it now price I would imagine.   :Twocents:

Davtona

Quote from: 69_500 on April 15, 2016, 03:47:08 PM

You might be a little biased on the liking of F6 though Dave.

It is the third most common color that I have seen. Over 40 that I have seen anyways.

Pretty color though. And it would look good in my new garage.

Quote from: hemi68charger on April 16, 2016, 07:28:56 AM
Man, I am starting to think my V2 Daytona is a "run of the mill" kind of car..   :lol:

Yes Danny I'm maybe a little bias I guess.  :smilielol:

Yes Troy your car is a "run of the mill" kind of car.  :smilielol:  Give it to Danny it will look good in his new garage.  :lol:

taxspeaker

Agreed that 100k is way too much for an investor. After flying to Austin and carefully crawling over, under and through the car it is not worth that much particularly to a flipper or someone who will hire out everything as an investment. I think to hire it out, after my detail exam I think he will be looking at:

Body/paint 40-50k (minimum) to whatever you want to spend for driver or concourse-substantial work is needed for rust repair, dents and hole repair and a complete nose cone rebuild.

Engine-unknown-no obvious holes in the block, but as a minimum a full bore/rebuild 10-20k if you go NOS, carb is shot too, missing air cleaner

Trans/clutch/rear end-same as above 10k, maybe more if you want the correct shifter

Front suspension-shot 3-4k

Rear suspension-shot, springs are too brittle to re-arch in my experience 1-3k

Gas tank/lines/brakes-all shot 2k

Electronics-wiring all bad and mouse chewed-3k

Dash instruments & switches-all shot 4 k

Interior-all shot and mouse eaten-5-10k

tires and the many things not mentioned 10k

So low end resto if you hire it out 88k plus 100k cost to buy the car and you have a 188k driver,

Spend another 60=70 and you have a 250k concourse 440 (not 426) which is way over market price if they do the numbers. I hope they do-as an investment the numbers don't work.

Now my thoughts when I took the check and the offer-I am not interested in the financial value of the car in any way, shape or form. I am interested in at least 1 more father/son 2-3 year resto project while I am still physically able to do it, and I don't frankly care about a financial return just about a great hobby, time with my son and maybe a grandson, and since we would do everything ourselves except the paint/body work I think I could do most everything for parts only and a little machine work. When we were done we would have a real Dodge Daytona that we could say we did together-how do you value that? I would say that's worth more than any dollar amount to me at least. So my entry bid was way out of range because I want the car for this capstone of my son and my 20 years of car restorations, and I am still willing to overpay for it to get that.

So it's not always about the money on these cars!

Still hoping the banker backs out, and I do appreciate everyone's opinions and input-the neat thing about this group is the varied opinions from all, the willingness to help, and the willingness to give an opinion!

Bob J

1970Moparmann

Quote from: taxspeaker on April 17, 2016, 09:23:21 PM
-I am not interested in the financial value of the car in any way, shape or form. I am interested in at least 1 more father/son 2-3 year resto project while I am still physically able to do it, and I don't frankly care about a financial return just about a great hobby, time with my son and maybe a grandson, and since we would do everything ourselves except the paint/body work I think I could do most everything for parts only and a little machine work. When we were done we would have a real Dodge Daytona that we could say we did together-how do you value that? I would say that's worth more than any dollar amount to me at least.

Right on Bob! :cheers:   The father and some project thing is VERY COOL!   I just got back from taking two of my three boys for a cruise!

held1823

^^^ THIS ^^^

this is the mindset for many of us with lifelong connections to these cars
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

nascarxx29

Any back history was this original owner any pics of fender tag or buildsheet or body numbers
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

41husk

Best of luck Bob.  I wish I could have done a project with my son.  He was never interested, but he is a good man and father, so I could have done much wirse.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

tan top

sorry to hear it did not pan out

Quote from: held1823 on April 17, 2016, 09:41:50 PM

^^^ THIS ^^^

this is the mindset for many of us with lifelong connections to these cars

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:  true !   :cheers:  
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Charger_Fan

Aww crap, I opened this thread today hoping to see pics of you loading it up on your trailer! Well, hopefully another one will come your way that won't need as much work.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Homerr

Quote from: Charger_Fan on April 18, 2016, 12:48:50 PM
Aww crap, I opened this thread today hoping to see pics of you loading it up on your trailer! Well, hopefully another one will come your way that won't need as much work.

This.

Beep Beep Dave

Quote from: taxspeaker on April 17, 2016, 09:23:21 PM
Agreed that 100k is way too much for an investor. After flying to Austin and carefully crawling over, under and through the car it is not worth that much particularly to a flipper or someone who will hire out everything as an investment. I think to hire it out, after my detail exam I think he will be looking at:

Body/paint 40-50k (minimum) to whatever you want to spend for driver or concourse-substantial work is needed for rust repair, dents and hole repair and a complete nose cone rebuild.

Engine-unknown-no obvious holes in the block, but as a minimum a full bore/rebuild 10-20k if you go NOS, carb is shot too, missing air cleaner

Trans/clutch/rear end-same as above 10k, maybe more if you want the correct shifter

Front suspension-shot 3-4k

Rear suspension-shot, springs are too brittle to re-arch in my experience 1-3k

Gas tank/lines/brakes-all shot 2k

Electronics-wiring all bad and mouse chewed-3k

Dash instruments & switches-all shot 4 k

Interior-all shot and mouse eaten-5-10k

tires and the many things not mentioned 10k

So low end resto if you hire it out 88k plus 100k cost to buy the car and you have a 188k driver,

Spend another 60=70 and you have a 250k concourse 440 (not 426) which is way over market price if they do the numbers. I hope they do-as an investment the numbers don't work.

Now my thoughts when I took the check and the offer-I am not interested in the financial value of the car in any way, shape or form. I am interested in at least 1 more father/son 2-3 year resto project while I am still physically able to do it, and I don't frankly care about a financial return just about a great hobby, time with my son and maybe a grandson, and since we would do everything ourselves except the paint/body work I think I could do most everything for parts only and a little machine work. When we were done we would have a real Dodge Daytona that we could say we did together-how do you value that? I would say that's worth more than any dollar amount to me at least. So my entry bid was way out of range because I want the car for this capstone of my son and my 20 years of car restorations, and I am still willing to overpay for it to get that.

Still hoping the banker backs out, and I do appreciate everyone's opinions and input-the neat thing about this group is the varied opinions from all, the willingness to help, and the willingness to give an opinion!

Bob J

Thanks for taking the time to update us. I have been eagerly following along as with many on here I think it is our dream to stumble upon something like this. Even with its issues I see it as being a great project. It seems like from what has been said already that the car was underpriced on purpose to get multiple bids...sort of what they do in real estate

Did a family member passing the reason the car is up for sale?

Thanks again,
Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

E86/A47

Can you tell if this is a real Daytona from the little info provided? VIN is XX29L9B386542 but XX could indicate Daytona or 500. If real, 35K seems like a good price...? I am not the right person to restore but maybe someone here is...?

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/dodge/daytona/1824668.html#PhotoSwipe1460734561938

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

taxspeaker

The owner is very tight-lipped with the information and because I am still "in the running" I want to respect his wishes. There is some information I think he would be comfortable with disclosing that doesn't.

The car was bought from the first owner in 1972 or 1973 by the seller's brother, who was a police chief in a small Texas town. The owner went to law school in the late 70's and stopped driving the car in 1981 at which point it was parked in the seller's garage. After many years the seller moved and moved the car as well, putting it on those jack stands in a temporary tyvek structure protected from the elements and far enough off the ground to avoid ground rot and where it still sits. The seller has poured 3 concrete pillars hemming the car in at some point in the past!The owner passed away and the title transferred to the seller and his sister who are now selling it for the estate. The seller does not remember if the car was running when parked in 1981, does know about a minor front end bump that knocked out the headlight doors. The owner does not know much about Mopars and I pointed out some obvious things like where to look for the engine SN, trans #, etc. I am carefully not saying whether it is numbers matching or not without the owner's permission, and I won't blow my "still hoping" chances with more info as yet, sorry.
Bob

charger_fan_4ever

Why not just post it on ebay if looking for best bid ?

I hate games when trying to buy something.